05-24-2012, 10:20 AM
| || |
Originally Posted by Byron
On the ammonia, it will be ammonia (toxic) if the pH is basic (above 7), and ammonium (basically harmless) in acidic water (pH below 7). Which is why I said earlier that either the ammonia or pH number must be inaccurate.
Rinsing the filter cartridge in any tap water will kill the bacteria due to the chlorine (and chloramine if that is also added by the water folks). I suggest you rinse filter media in a pail of tank water.
On the light. Yes, the sudden on or off of the tank light does startle fish. The room must not be dark when the tank light comes on or goes off. There should always be some light in the room, whether daylight through the window or electric lights/lamps.
Oh geez. Maybe my tank goes through mini cycles because i rinse the filter cartridge in tap water D: Wont be doing that anymore!
Maybe the pH is wrong. I'll buy a different kind of pH test today and see what that says. Any suggestions on the test? I have the API liquid one right now.
My room light is always on when it cuts out, though it probably wasn't when I was out of town. It might have been though because my beta light has to be turned off manually, so they might have had my light on to do that.
Ammonia 8.0 ppm
pH 6 (And now it says six, so maybe it is the pH number that's wrong)