05-23-2012, 02:24 PM
| || |
Originally Posted by Byron
The ammonia at 8 in basic water (pH 7.4) is not possible or the fish would be dead. According to the API data, at ammonia of 2-3 ppm fish would all show stress, clamped fins, rapid gill movement, and deaths. At 4-5 ppm deaths would be over half the fish. If as you've said previously there is absolutely no sign of stress, one of the numbers (ammonia or pH) just can't be accurate.
What about AmmoniUM?
I also found out (just did a water change and I don't know why i didn't think of this before) that the water from our bathroom is 1.0-2.0 ppm ammonia. Before today, I would rinse of the filter cartridge in that water. Today I used the kitchen tap which is the one that reads 0.25 ppm ammonia for the cartridge. I always use the kitchen water for the water changes and condition the water.
Would rinsing the cartridge in 1.0-2.0 ppm have a large effect on the tank? I'm not going to use that water anymore, but I was just wondering.
Going to check levels soon once the water has cycled through the filter.