New Tank, Used Filter - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 09-25-2012, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
New Tank, Used Filter

I have recently bought my 200l tank and bought a used fluval 305 with media. The filter was used in a tropical tank previously.

I filled the tank with water yesterday and started the filter up.

I have new media for the filter but wanted to run it with the current media to assist with bacteria and cycling.

My question is, should I, at some point during cycling replace all of the media in the filter? I have no idea (trying to find out) how long the current media has been used for.

Also, was hoping to add live plants to the aquarium, is there a good point during cycling yo do this?

Thanks
robedadam is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 Old 09-25-2012, 07:19 PM
Member
 
Hanky's Avatar
 
how long has the used media been out of a running tank? If the media has dried out or has not gotten an ammonia source like fish waste to feed the bacteria then it is dead media anyway. If it came right out of a running tank then you should be ok, in that case you would add new media to filter and put used media in the tank, just hang it over the side or weigh it down to bottom. the bacteria will find its way to new filter.
Hanky is offline  
post #3 of 7 Old 09-26-2012, 12:14 AM
Member
 
marshallsea's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by robedadam View Post
I have recently bought my 200l tank and bought a used fluval 305 with media. The filter was used in a tropical tank previously.

I filled the tank with water yesterday and started the filter up.

I have new media for the filter but wanted to run it with the current media to assist with bacteria and cycling.

My question is, should I, at some point during cycling replace all of the media in the filter? I have no idea (trying to find out) how long the current media has been used for.

Also, was hoping to add live plants to the aquarium, is there a good point during cycling yo do this?

Thanks
Add plants ASAP.

Consider the needs of your fish before acting on your desires.
marshallsea is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to marshallsea For This Useful Post:
robedadam (09-26-2012)
post #4 of 7 Old 09-26-2012, 02:11 AM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanky View Post
how long has the used media been out of a running tank? If the media has dried out or has not gotten an ammonia source like fish waste to feed the bacteria then it is dead media anyway. If it came right out of a running tank then you should be ok, in that case you would add new media to filter and put used media in the tank, just hang it over the side or weigh it down to bottom. the bacteria will find its way to new filter.
Thanks hanky, I believe it came out of a running tank, it was still wet when it arrived lol! Good idea, will put my new media in later and weigh down the old media in the tank, thanks.
robedadam is offline  
post #5 of 7 Old 09-26-2012, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
New Member
 
was thinking of throwing in a water change at some point also?
robedadam is offline  
post #6 of 7 Old 09-26-2012, 11:51 AM
Member
 
Hanky's Avatar
 
you could also add a small piece of the old media too the new stuff in the filter, as far as a water change goes I would only worry if you have fish in there, just keep an eye on your ammonia levels and keep them down if you have fish, otherwise I would let it go till it cycles.
Hanky is offline  
post #7 of 7 Old 09-26-2012, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanky View Post
you could also add a small piece of the old media too the new stuff in the filter, as far as a water change goes I would only worry if you have fish in there, just keep an eye on your ammonia levels and keep them down if you have fish, otherwise I would let it go till it cycles.
Thanks hanky, no fish at the mo, added a few plants today, but had a bit of a problem with my filter, just done a new post.

Thanks for your help mate
robedadam is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Filter to Filter tank cycling Wolfdog1606 Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 11 07-06-2011 11:25 PM
Filter died, only have 10 gallon filter for 125 gallon tank Schreck425 Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 1 11-07-2010 03:00 PM
Ugh! Tank of Troubles - old filter quit - new filter not seeded PaperclipGirl Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 16 03-11-2010 04:24 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome