New tank/stand and stand set up!!! Pplus a couple questions - Page 2
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » New tank/stand and stand set up!!! Pplus a couple questions

New tank/stand and stand set up!!! Pplus a couple questions

This is a discussion on New tank/stand and stand set up!!! Pplus a couple questions within the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> Originally Posted by Homer16 Would the bulbs on my tank be okay now? on the one tank I have 1 120 volt 20watt 60hz ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Platy
Platy
Eyespot Gourami
Eyespot Gourami
Like Tree1Likes

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
New tank/stand and stand set up!!! Pplus a couple questions
Old 01-30-2013, 08:46 PM   #11
JDM
 
JDM's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer16 View Post
Would the bulbs on my tank be okay now? on the one tank I have 1 120 volt 20watt 60hz bulb whatever that means lol

On the other tank I think I have two of them as they are massive and soooo much brighter. Then on the 5 gallon I have I think a 15 watt florescent light.
Check the bulbs themselves, they'll have something on them indicating the bulb type and wattage, the fixture isn't the key. You'll have to get someone else to advise on those as I don't know a t5 from a t8. I fully expect that you will be fine even with the supplied bulbs with easy low light plants.

Jeff.
JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:59 PM   #12
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Check the bulbs themselves, they'll have something on them indicating the bulb type and wattage, the fixture isn't the key. You'll have to get someone else to advise on those as I don't know a t5 from a t8. I fully expect that you will be fine even with the supplied bulbs with easy low light plants.

Jeff.
Okay yeah the 45 gallon has a T8 20watt 60hz bulb. The 5.5 gallon for sure is a 15 watt incandescent not sure the other tank I wanna say 2 T8 20 watt 60hz bulbs but I will double check on that later and start another thread
Homer16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:04 PM   #13
JDM
 
JDM's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer16 View Post
Okay yeah the 45 gallon has a T8 20watt 60hz bulb. The 5.5 gallon for sure is a 15 watt incandescent not sure the other tank I wanna say 2 T8 20 watt 60hz bulbs but I will double check on that later and start another thread
All bulbs will be 60hz, that's just electricity frequency, so yah know.

Jeff
JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:45 PM   #14
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
All bulbs will be 60hz, that's just electricity frequency, so yah know.

Jeff
haha, I have no idea what any of that means. You could tell me that 60 means it gets 60 degrees and I wouldnt know if that was true or not
Homer16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:33 PM   #15
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer16 View Post
Okay yeah the 45 gallon has a T8 20watt 60hz bulb. The 5.5 gallon for sure is a 15 watt incandescent not sure the other tank I wanna say 2 T8 20 watt 60hz bulbs but I will double check on that later and start another thread
A T8 20w fluorescent tube will be 24 inches in length. Over a 45g tank, one of these tubes is not sufficient for much, maybe very low light plants like Anubias, Java Moss might manage, but it is a big might. I have this length over my 29g and the plants are really struggling.

If you have two of these over the other tank, what size tank (volume and length)?

Over the 5.5g with an incandescent (screw-in) fixture, you could use a 10w CFL bulb. Compact Fluorescent screw-in bulbs are much brighter than the old bulbs. Look for one in a "daylight" with 6500K. GE makes these, I use them and the plants grow very well. Sylvania and Phillips probably make them also. Hardware type stores for these.

Byron.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:36 PM   #16
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
A T8 20w fluorescent tube will be 24 inches in length. Over a 45g tank, one of these tubes is not sufficient for much, maybe very low light plants like Anubias, Java Moss might manage, but it is a big might. I have this length over my 29g and the plants are really struggling.

If you have two of these over the other tank, what size tank (volume and length)?

Over the 5.5g with an incandescent (screw-in) fixture, you could use a 10w CFL bulb. Compact Fluorescent screw-in bulbs are much brighter than the old bulbs. Look for one in a "daylight" with 6500K. GE makes these, I use them and the plants grow very well. Sylvania and Phillips probably make them also. Hardware type stores for these.

Byron.
The one with two bulbs is a 38 gallon 36 inches long. Is there any bulb i can put into the 45 gallon fixture to replace the T8 in there without having to purchase a totally new hood?
Homer16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:48 PM   #17
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer16 View Post
The one with two bulbs is a 38 gallon 36 inches long. Is there any bulb i can put into the 45 gallon fixture to replace the T8 in there without having to purchase a totally new hood?
Not really. What length is the tank? I can suggest possibles (in new fixtures) if I know this.

The two 24-inch T8 tubes over the 3-foot 38g is minimal but workable. Stay with low to moderate light plants. And use the better tubes which will be more expensive because they have better intensity than the less expensive. I use Life-Glo over my single-tube tanks. ZooMed's Ultra Sun is basically identical. Both are 6700K and fairly intense for the size.

Byron.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:28 PM   #18
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
Not really. What length is the tank? I can suggest possibles (in new fixtures) if I know this.

The two 24-inch T8 tubes over the 3-foot 38g is minimal but workable. Stay with low to moderate light plants. And use the better tubes which will be more expensive because they have better intensity than the less expensive. I use Life-Glo over my single-tube tanks. ZooMed's Ultra Sun is basically identical. Both are 6700K and fairly intense for the size.

Byron.
The two biggest tanks are both 36 inches long. Maybe plants are not for me :( I didnt realize they need special lighting.
Homer16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:14 PM   #19
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer16 View Post
The two biggest tanks are both 36 inches long. Maybe plants are not for me :( I didnt realize they need special lighting.
Not so much special, as adequate. Like plants outside, some need full sun, others don't, but all need some light. Unfortunately the fixtures sold with tanks in kits, etc are often only good for lighting the tank to see the fish. The incredible benefit from live plants to the fish is well worth it.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:23 PM   #20
JDM
 
JDM's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer16 View Post
The two biggest tanks are both 36 inches long. Maybe plants are not for me :( I didnt realize they need special lighting.
Awww...

Well, that's why I stay away from getting into lighting, I don't know much about bulbs for tanks. I love my LEDs but they are not comparable as I end up with 8 1 Watt bulbs in a 24" fixture on a 30" tank.

That is also why I stayed away from the starter kits, I figured that the filter would not be what I would end up wanting/needing and I just liked the sleek look of the LED over a glass top instead of a hood.

I know this is hindsight Homer, why are you so set on two tanks? Wouldn't you have been better off with one and set it up exactly as you wanted? bigger bang for the buck so to speak?

Byron, what about just floaters with that lighting? Seeing as the light does not need to penetrate and they are so close to the bulb, it doesn't replace a fully planted tank but certainly goes a ways to gaining some benefits of plants, at least as a bit of a buffer.

Jeff.
JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Purchased new stand and new tank/stand kit Homer16 Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 14 01-27-2013 08:34 PM
DIY Four-tank stand iamntbatman DIY Aquarium 10 07-11-2009 02:13 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:48 AM.