New tank items in old tank for a month to seed? - Page 2 - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
 2Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 23 Old 02-01-2017, 10:39 AM
New Member
 
If I am understanding all this it would seem that when receiving new fish the water they are shipped in whether local fish store or online should be tested for ph and compare that to the ph in the home tank. If there is a difference they should be drip acclimated before transferring to the tank. Correct?
Radar is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 23 Old 02-01-2017, 11:38 AM
Member
 
jaysee's Avatar
 
I've never bothered testing the LFS water when adding new fish. It's not going to be too far off from what my water is, so a standard acclimation is fine.

One thing to keep in mind about the low pH - at 4.5 ammonia is ammonium and not toxic to the fish. Raising that pH too fast can kill the fish because the ammonium then turns back to ammonia. When I used to have fish shipped I would dose with prime while acclimating to help prevent such a problem. And it did.

125 - BGK, chanchito cichlid, pictus cats, silver dollars, palmas bichir
125 - cichlids (severums, bolivian rams, chocolate), rainbows ( turquoise, red), loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, tiretrack eel, pearl gouramis, betta
90 - Congo tetras, african knife, upside down cats, spotted ctenopoma, kribensis, delhezzi bichir
2.5 - betta
jaysee is offline  
post #13 of 23 Old 02-01-2017, 11:53 AM
Member
 
Warhawk's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
If I am understanding all this it would seem that when receiving new fish the water they are shipped in whether local fish store or online should be tested for ph and compare that to the ph in the home tank. If there is a difference they should be drip acclimated before transferring to the tank. Correct?

Like Jaysee said never tested the water from local fish stores.

The larger fish stores normally have their tanks all linked together and their water will be close to what you have at home. Some might adjust the PH to get it closer to 7.0 but don't count on it. If it is a local owned store will be getting water from the same place you do(city water) so it will be just like your water, but you can ask if they do anything special to their water to be safe.

When I get fish from the local stores I acclimate for temperature but nothing else, never been a issue. When I get fish from online people I will ask about their water up front. I did pass on a deal for some cichlid rams because the water they where used to was 6.5 and I didn't want to adjust a tank for that.

I have seen my local water change from 7.5 to 8.2 depending on the weather and what they put in the water. So it is a good idea to check your water a few times a year to know what it is doing. When we have heavy rains or lots of snow melt I cut back on water changes because my PH goes up a lot, normally it is just a week so not a huge deal.


You can follow Old Fort Exotics on You Tube and on my Fish room thread.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5l...KdIa-pb3K2zb7A
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/d...h-room-517930/

Warhawk is offline  
 
post #14 of 23 Old 02-01-2017, 02:00 PM
New Member
 
Meant to say my local fish sore is not in town. They are 20-50 miles away depending which store.
Radar is offline  
post #15 of 23 Old 02-01-2017, 02:16 PM
Member
 
Warhawk's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
Meant to say my local fish sore is not in town. They are 20-50 miles away depending which store.

That isn't too far I would guess the water should be close. You can ask store about their water and some will let you see them test it. Big chain stores might not be as knowledgeable but will still have the basic info.

I have family in North Carolina and they are all on well water, if my memory is right it is below 7.0ph. That water is the same for miles and all based on the rocks it flows through, I'm in Indiana and the city water comes from the local rivers so it has a higher PH. I have heard that closer to the coast lines the water goes up in PH but I can't prove that.

I would trust any water source with in 75-100 miles to be close to what you have at home. Would still test it to be sure.


You can follow Old Fort Exotics on You Tube and on my Fish room thread.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5l...KdIa-pb3K2zb7A
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/d...h-room-517930/

Warhawk is offline  
post #16 of 23 Old 02-01-2017, 02:48 PM
Member
 
jaysee's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
Meant to say my local fish sore is not in town. They are 20-50 miles away depending which store.


A simple phone call would probably clear that right up.

125 - BGK, chanchito cichlid, pictus cats, silver dollars, palmas bichir
125 - cichlids (severums, bolivian rams, chocolate), rainbows ( turquoise, red), loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, tiretrack eel, pearl gouramis, betta
90 - Congo tetras, african knife, upside down cats, spotted ctenopoma, kribensis, delhezzi bichir
2.5 - betta
jaysee is offline  
post #17 of 23 Old 02-02-2017, 05:32 AM Thread Starter
New Member
 
AngelfishLover's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhawk View Post
I have family in North Carolina and they are all on well water, if my memory is right it is below 7.0ph. That water is the same for miles and all based on the rocks it flows through, I'm in Indiana and the city water comes from the local rivers so it has a higher PH. I have heard that closer to the coast lines the water goes up in PH but I can't prove that.
Not to be nosy but is your family in western or eastern NC? I ask because I'm in central SC and my well water tests at 4.5. The aquifer is 220 feet down and also running. We're about 100 miles from the coast.

Quote:
I would trust any water source with in 75-100 miles to be close to what you have at home. Would still test it to be sure.
As long as it's the same water source. Well vs. processed water vary dramatically around here. The city water is just over 7.0 from what I hear. I'd assume a store would have city water. I think moving a store bought fish into my tanks without treating the tank with a neutralizing agent wouldn't be good for the fish.

You know, that might have something to do with my utter failure way back when. Hmmm.......
AngelfishLover is offline  
post #18 of 23 Old 02-02-2017, 05:50 AM Thread Starter
New Member
 
AngelfishLover's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
If I am understanding all this it would seem that when receiving new fish the water they are shipped in whether local fish store or online should be tested for ph and compare that to the ph in the home tank. If there is a difference they should be drip acclimated before transferring to the tank. Correct?
Well, drip acclimation didn't help my first four with the sudden and dramatic pH change (8.5 to 4.5.) It worked well when my chemically adjusted and buffered pH was 7.0 and the breeder's pH was 8.5, so drip acclimation might have helped in that case.

Each fish I have was shipped from New York state to SC and the drip acclimation is probably recommended for a number of reasons besides pH--they're already stressed from shipping.
AngelfishLover is offline  
post #19 of 23 Old 02-02-2017, 08:10 AM
Member
 
Warhawk's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelfishLover View Post
Not to be nosy but is your family in western or eastern NC? I ask because I'm in central SC and my well water tests at 4.5. The aquifer is 220 feet down and also running. We're about 100 miles from the coast.



As long as it's the same water source. Well vs. processed water vary dramatically around here. The city water is just over 7.0 from what I hear. I'd assume a store would have city water. I think moving a store bought fish into my tanks without treating the tank with a neutralizing agent wouldn't be good for the fish.

You know, that might have something to do with my utter failure way back when. Hmmm.......

My family is in in western NC, one hour north of Charlotte. I know a guy that lived in Charleston SC and he raised dwarf cichlids I could be wrong but I think he had city water at 6.5. But I haven't talked to him in a few years so could be remembering wrong.

Some times water doesn't change too much within the 100 miles but other times it will. I'm in the market for some African peacock cichlids and there is a breeder about a hour south/east of me(I'm in Indiana he is in Ohio) his water is pretty close to mine but about 90 mins north/west their water is much higher PH 8.0-8.2. I learned that from a fish club meeting everyone was jealous of my water at 7.5-7.6.


You can follow Old Fort Exotics on You Tube and on my Fish room thread.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5l...KdIa-pb3K2zb7A
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/d...h-room-517930/

Warhawk is offline  
post #20 of 23 Old 02-02-2017, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
AngelfishLover's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhawk View Post
My family is in in western NC, one hour north of Charlotte. I know a guy that lived in Charleston SC and he raised dwarf cichlids I could be wrong but I think he had city water at 6.5. But I haven't talked to him in a few years so could be remembering wrong.
I've been on the well for 20+ years but my hubs was on the team that designed a new water treatment plant in the city and he says they strive to keep their outgoing water at 7.0. That may be different in other municipalities, however. Charleston's lower processed water pH could be due to the salt in the air getting into the tanks, etc. Just a guess.

Quote:
Some times water doesn't change too much within the 100 miles but other times it will. I'm in the market for some African peacock cichlids and there is a breeder about a hour south/east of me(I'm in Indiana he is in Ohio) his water is pretty close to mine but about 90 mins north/west their water is much higher PH 8.0-8.2. I learned that from a fish club meeting everyone was jealous of my water at 7.5-7.6.
Heck, I'M jealous of your 7.5-7.6!

I'm learning a lot about how water parameters affect fish, specifically Angelfish. I saw a page that indicated that Angels prefer blackwater tanks, which I'm not about to attempt, but aren't those tanks acidic due to the organic matter? Sometimes I think I should stop reading so much, it can be confusing.
AngelfishLover is offline  
Reply

Tags
angelfish , cycling

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is it possible to "over-seed" new tank??? scott1234 Advanced Freshwater Discussion 1 08-27-2014 10:52 PM
Items needed for 260 gallon fowlr tank jschne06 Saltwater Aquarium Equipment 1 03-24-2013 08:28 PM
About 1 Month with tank Trixsta Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 2 11-04-2009 08:17 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome