New Tank - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 54 Old 03-12-2012, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
New Tank

I finally got my new 150 gallon tank, stand, filters, and light. I have no clue about what I am stock it with but have a basic idea based on what i was going to put in a 125. It came with two Eheim filters also. It will still be a little while until i get everything up and going since i want to restain the stand based on the wood color in my house and wait for some of the decorations i ordered to arrive. I plan on the tank being heavly planted. I bought the tank and everything off craigslists for $380 so i think i got a pretty good deal. If anyone has recomendations please let me know :)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg iphone pictures 187.jpg (58.2 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg iphone pictures 188.jpg (41.7 KB, 102 views)
Deadstroke174 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 54 Old 03-13-2012, 01:48 PM
Member
 
nicolaas's Avatar
 
Nice tank!
What fish do you like?

Good,better,best
I Shall Never Rest
Until My Good Is Better
And My better, best!!
nicolaas is offline  
post #3 of 54 Old 03-13-2012, 01:55 PM
Member
 
Termato's Avatar
 
First thing I would do is find out what fish you can put in there. Get water readings. How hard is your water? pH level?

That will narrow down your selection to keep down cost so you can use your tap water.

I'd suggest these fish if you have the right water parameters...Not necessarily together...just general...

Jack Dempsey
Oscar Cichlid
Scalare Angelfish

I like those three fish :)
Termato is offline  
post #4 of 54 Old 03-13-2012, 02:46 PM
Member
 
CinBos's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadstroke174 View Post
I finally got my new 150 gallon tank, stand, filters, and light. I have no clue about what I am stock it with but have a basic idea based on what i was going to put in a 125. It came with two Eheim filters also. It will still be a little while until i get everything up and going since i want to restain the stand based on the wood color in my house and wait for some of the decorations i ordered to arrive. I plan on the tank being heavly planted. I bought the tank and everything off craigslists for $380 so i think i got a pretty good deal. If anyone has recomendations please let me know :)
I'm in the same boat as you. Just got my 125gal, and I have no idea what fish I want to stock in mine. I I know I will have some bottom dwellars and I would really like to add some shrimp or other inverts to keep the tank clean.

125Gal: 7 Silver Dollars, 1 Albino BN Plecos, 1 Green Terror, 1 Gold Severum, Red Severum, 8 Rio Cahals, and 2 Festivum

55Gal: 3 German Blue Rams, 2 Bolivian Rams, 1 Super Red Pleco, 9 Bloodfin Tetras, and 9 Oto Catfish

29Gal: Quarentine/Hospital Tank

20Gal: Female Pastel Ball Python
CinBos is offline  
post #5 of 54 Old 03-13-2012, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
I really like Angel Fish, Angelicus Loach, zebra loach, Cherry Barb's, whiptail catfish, and hatchet fish. I think they will go together but not 100% sure. The PH balance is roughly 7.5 (i think a little lower but closer to 7.5 than 7). I really like some of the different "eels" but don't think they would go with any of the fish above.

Thoughts?
Deadstroke174 is offline  
post #6 of 54 Old 03-13-2012, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
I have a 60 gallon tall tank that i am looking to stock as well. It has an Oscar and a cichlid in it now but can't reall stock it until i find a home for those two fish. I really like planted tanks so not really looking to keep them but need to find them a nice home first :)
Deadstroke174 is offline  
post #7 of 54 Old 03-13-2012, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
I really like Tiger Barbs also so I might put them into the 60 gallon.
Deadstroke174 is offline  
post #8 of 54 Old 03-13-2012, 06:43 PM
Member
 
CinBos's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadstroke174 View Post
I really like Angel Fish, Angelicus Loach, zebra loach, Cherry Barb's, whiptail catfish, and hatchet fish. I think they will go together but not 100% sure. The PH balance is roughly 7.5 (i think a little lower but closer to 7.5 than 7). I really like some of the different "eels" but don't think they would go with any of the fish above.

Thoughts?
I'm not too sure just yet where I wanna go with mine. My 125 gal is literally looking just like yours, empty and just waiting be filled. Currently I'm thinking I may go with oscars, and/or cichlids in general. I would like some shoaling and/or schooling fish in there, but then I know I wont be able to keep cichlids. I want some sort of shark also. And I am planning on getting a pleco or 2, but not one of the common plecos that get 24in, cause those are just waste machines from what I've been hearing. Been looking at inverts as well, to help maintain and clean the tank. See man, I am all over the place, not sure where I wanna go yet.

125Gal: 7 Silver Dollars, 1 Albino BN Plecos, 1 Green Terror, 1 Gold Severum, Red Severum, 8 Rio Cahals, and 2 Festivum

55Gal: 3 German Blue Rams, 2 Bolivian Rams, 1 Super Red Pleco, 9 Bloodfin Tetras, and 9 Oto Catfish

29Gal: Quarentine/Hospital Tank

20Gal: Female Pastel Ball Python
CinBos is offline  
post #9 of 54 Old 03-13-2012, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinBos View Post
I'm not too sure just yet where I wanna go with mine. My 125 gal is literally looking just like yours, empty and just waiting be filled. Currently I'm thinking I may go with oscars, and/or cichlids in general. I would like some shoaling and/or schooling fish in there, but then I know I wont be able to keep cichlids. I want some sort of shark also. And I am planning on getting a pleco or 2, but not one of the common plecos that get 24in, cause those are just waste machines from what I've been hearing. Been looking at inverts as well, to help maintain and clean the tank. See man, I am all over the place, not sure where I wanna go yet.
At least we are thinking it through :)
Deadstroke174 is offline  
post #10 of 54 Old 03-13-2012, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
another question, i bought 2 250W heaters for the tank....will they work?
Deadstroke174 is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome