New Tank
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » New Tank

New Tank

This is a discussion on New Tank within the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> Stocking So I have a 20g long aquarium, and I'm going to start cycling it soon. I kind of have an idea of what ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Dwarf Puffer
Dwarf Puffer
Discus
Discus
Reply
Old 10-02-2012, 05:26 PM   #1
 
New Tank

Stocking
So I have a 20g long aquarium, and I'm going to start cycling it soon. I kind of have an idea of what I'm stocking it with. 6 kuhli loaches, a trio of scarlet badis (2 males, 1 female), maybe 1 of a smaller apistos species, and definitely some inverts that won't be eaten by their tankmates (suggestions?). I've heard that kuhli loaches will eat most inverts, so if this is a huge problem I could swap the loaches for otocinclus. Ideas?

Thanks in advance.
SombreroBanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:19 PM   #2
 
Byron's Avatar
 
If you check our profile of the kuhli loach [click the shaded name] you will note that its natural food includes inverts, insect larvae and crustaceans small enough to fit into its mouth. This is actually true of most fish; crustaceans (shrimp, etc) are a natural item of the diet of almost all of our fish species, at least the omnivorous ones.

Byron.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:03 PM   #3
 
So I should go with the otos?
SombreroBanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:06 AM   #4
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SombreroBanana View Post
So I should go with the otos?
Well, unless the shrimp are tiny, I doubt otos would eat them. Otos are primarily vegetarian, grazing algae biofilms. But here, the shrimp also graze algae, so this would be setting up competition for food between the two.

Are you just looking for some sort of "substrate" fish?

Byron.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:03 PM   #5
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
Well, unless the shrimp are tiny, I doubt otos would eat them. Otos are primarily vegetarian, grazing algae biofilms. But here, the shrimp also graze algae, so this would be setting up competition for food between the two.

Are you just looking for some sort of "substrate" fish?

Byron.
Yeah, I'd like some action down near the substrate, but I don't want something that will eat other fish. Suggestions?
SombreroBanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:03 PM   #6
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SombreroBanana View Post
Yeah, I'd like some action down near the substrate, but I don't want something that will eat other fish. Suggestions?
Depending upon the size of the shrimp, some corys might work. Especially the dwarf species, three of which are in our profiles.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:54 AM   #7
 
Canadian Fish's Avatar
 
I second corys. That's what I have for bottom feeders in my 20 gallon tank. They are constantly active and scavenging the bottom of the tank. They're cool fish, and you'll probably see them more than the kuhlis, which are prone to hiding.
Canadian Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:09 AM   #8
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
Depending upon the size of the shrimp, some corys might work. Especially the dwarf species, three of which are in our profiles.
Alrighty. Thanks. :)
SombreroBanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:36 PM.