I read your messages and have learnt alot about setups I think. Although here in Aus we use metric not imperial but anyway any thoughts on the setup I have here would be appreciated as would advise on cycling: Firstly the setup
1. Tank 4 foot x 2 foot x 2 foot (about 350 liters 90 Gallons?? after gravel)
2. Filtration. Internal powerhead driven filter canister 1200 l / hr with large sponge filter
3. External Canister Fluval 405 (2 layers of carbon and 2 of stone thingys, I was thinking of Peat in one?)
4. Heating 2 x 200W Fluval Heaters
5. Lighting flourescents 1 is for plant (Power Glo) 1 is for fish (Aqual Glo) 40 W each
That is just about it for the hardware, I have only just put in the water and chlorine treatment (Flex Geoliquid) and the tank is just now 36 hours later starting to clear.
Any thoughs on what is missing above?? I was thinking about a UV steraliser (maybe 9W) but that is about it. Secondly the cycling and chemicals
I bought a bulk test kit which has the following
- Ammonia (NH3/NH4)
- GH & KH Test
- Thermometer etc
When do I use half of this and when would be a good time to start adding fish and plants. The water in Mebourne is very good quality but has chlorine and Flourine which the geo liquid is supposed to remove.
I want to start the cycle and are looking at a commuinty tank (neons, guppys, things of the sort) what should I put in and how many to get the cycle going and when can I add more etc.
Any suggestions or FAQ's would be appreciated. My ultimate goal is to have discuss fish and the tank is in my living room so it's cleanliness is important.