New member here, help with cloudy tank - Page 2
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » New member here, help with cloudy tank

New member here, help with cloudy tank

This is a discussion on New member here, help with cloudy tank within the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> Originally Posted by jakeedwin I took out the decorations for the gravel vac. Filter pads were replaced. I have a Penguin 350 Bio-Wheel. I ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Flame Tetra
Flame Tetra
Black Darter Tetra
Black Darter Tetra
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
New member here, help with cloudy tank
Old 01-20-2009, 09:04 AM   #11
 
onefish2fish's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeedwin View Post
I took out the decorations for the gravel vac. Filter pads were replaced. I have a Penguin 350 Bio-Wheel. I use Aqua-Plus water conditioner, havent added any other chemicals in over a month.

using the gravel vac, removing the decor and changing the filter pad all at once will prob. put you through a mini cycle. all these things harbor the benficial bacteria and when they are all disturbed at the same time alot of this bacteria is killed/removed causing issues with ammonia/nitrite. just swishing the filter pad around in tank water that was removed from a water change is plenty, change the pad when it is literally falling apart and you can keep the old one in the tank or in the filter for awhile to re-seed the new pad. this most likely isnt the cause of cloudy water but it is still something important you want to take note of.
onefish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 09:45 AM   #12
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by onefish2fish View Post
using the gravel vac, removing the decor and changing the filter pad all at once will prob. put you through a mini cycle. all these things harbor the benficial bacteria and when they are all disturbed at the same time alot of this bacteria is killed/removed causing issues with ammonia/nitrite. just swishing the filter pad around in tank water that was removed from a water change is plenty, change the pad when it is literally falling apart and you can keep the old one in the tank or in the filter for awhile to re-seed the new pad. this most likely isnt the cause of cloudy water but it is still something important you want to take note of.
thanks for that advice, I'll remember that.
jakeedwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 10:05 AM   #13
 
1077's Avatar
 
I do not believe a bacteria bloom to be uncommon in tank where substantial or aggressive cleaning has Perhaps resulted in mini-cycle. Were it me,, (and it's not) I would monitor the ammonia and nitrite levels closely for the next few days . I might also call local water company and inquire if a change to the way they treat the water has taken place lately. As already mentioned,,, Best to clean things one at a time,, with week in between cleanings for reasons mentioned. In my humble opinion.
1077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 06:48 PM   #14
 
Lupin's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeedwin View Post
I just replaced the filter pads, which have the carbon already in them, and didnt touch the bio-wheel. thats all the media I have.
How long have you had the carbon in the tank?
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 07:56 PM   #15
 
Diatom Filter

If you have ruled out the mini cycle over the next few days, and if the milky appearance is bothering you, you could run a diatom filter (such as a vortex)on it for a few hours and see if that does the job cleaning it up.

However, that will not address the root cause of the cloudiness, and will do nothing to prevent a repeat.

MY experience has been that when that happens in a tank that is cycled it is because of dissolved organic compounds in the water, often due to overfeeding or overcrowding.

Just my opinions, and YMMV.

Good luck and please keep us posted on progress so we can all learn what you discover as you work through the issue.
Bakerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 08:17 PM   #16
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin View Post
How long have you had the carbon in the tank?
The carbon has been in there for a few days only. I guess i wasn't thinking, I should have replaced the pads one at a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakerman View Post
If you have ruled out the mini cycle over the next few days, and if the milky appearance is bothering you, you could run a diatom filter (such as a vortex)on it for a few hours and see if that does the job cleaning it up.

However, that will not address the root cause of the cloudiness, and will do nothing to prevent a repeat.

MY experience has been that when that happens in a tank that is cycled it is because of dissolved organic compounds in the water, often due to overfeeding or overcrowding.

Just my opinions, and YMMV.

Good luck and please keep us posted on progress so we can all learn what you discover as you work through the issue.
I highly doubt it is overcrowding, i ony have 7 2-5 inch fish. It very well could be overfeeding. I'll keep an eye on that, thanks.
jakeedwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 10:26 PM   #17
 
iamntbatman's Avatar
 
Could be any number of causes, all of which have been brought up already (all of which I can think of, anyway). I have had a bacterial bloom on a mature (1+ year old) tank that had no recent changes in feeding habits, water chemistry, bioload, etc. I was never able to pinpoint the cause of the bloom, but even with aggressive water changes the bacteria depleted oxygen levels in the water enough to kill a couple of fish (all of the fish were gasping).

I would recommend adding extra surface agitation and aggressive water changes. The surface agitation will help replace oxygen in the water being used up by the bacteria. You can agitate the surface with airstones, powerheads, or by lowering your water level a bit and letting your power filter have a bit of a waterfall effect.
iamntbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:26 PM   #18
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamntbatman View Post
I would recommend adding extra surface agitation and aggressive water changes. The surface agitation will help replace oxygen in the water being used up by the bacteria. You can agitate the surface with airstones, powerheads, or by lowering your water level a bit and letting your power filter have a bit of a waterfall effect.
ohh i see. thanks for the advice.
jakeedwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 07:06 PM   #19
 
Update?

Any update on the issue to share? Always very interested in what we discover when this happens, to help us all when in a similar situation.
Bakerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 07:57 PM   #20
 
still fairly white, I am reducing feedings.
jakeedwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New member, New tank... libby01 Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 7 02-24-2010 04:20 PM
Need help with cloudy tank SueK Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 3 10-10-2009 10:05 PM
Tank looking cloudy. staticfiend Tropical Fish Diseases 5 09-01-2008 12:58 PM
Cloudy tank??? new2fish Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 8 01-27-2008 04:02 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:11 PM.