New desk tank suggestions - Page 2
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » New desk tank suggestions

New desk tank suggestions

This is a discussion on New desk tank suggestions within the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> Oh, badis are active? I retract the statement then. I had always heard they were inactive and hang out in the plants. The males ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Pretty Tetra
Pretty Tetra
Blue Gourami
Blue Gourami
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
New desk tank suggestions
Old 02-03-2012, 10:58 AM   #11
 
redchigh's Avatar
 
Oh, badis are active? I retract the statement then. I had always heard they were inactive and hang out in the plants.

The males chase each other a lot (slightly aggressive), is that what you're calling active? I've never kept them, so if you have, I appreciate the insight.
redchigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:59 AM   #12
 
fishy friend2's Avatar
 
you have a few options...

you can pick 1 off this list:
school of 6 ember tetras - You are right that these fish stay quite small, but are schooling fish that deserve to be in groups, of 6+ so a small tank like a 1.5 cannot support a group of these fish. Neither can the filter. These small delicate fish are a bad choice for suh a small tank as it would be hard to hold a cycle in that tank and it is highly likely that the cycle will crash, resulting in the deaths of these fish, and they are also very active fish and I wouldn't keep these in anything short of 12 inches

school of 6 Rasbora merah, nana, or brigittae - these fish a quite delicate, and aren't suitible for any aquarium unless the person with them is willing to do more than usual water changes to keep these fish happy, and with a 1.5 gallon tank it Would be hard to have pristine water quality with the amount of fish that micro rasboras should be in groups of. And plus these fish are really active, and skittish so would be zooming around the tank at times. That's why the minimum tank length is 15 inches.

school of 5 pygmy chain loach* - I know very little about this species so I cannot comment on these

a single male dwarf gourami or honey gourami - dwarf gouramis, get 2.5 inches on average and due to inbreeding are susceptible to dwarf gourami disease, which they get in stressful, conditions, and when in a 1.5 gallon will create stressfull conditions for a dwarf gourami, and honeys are also fish that are territorial and like to roam a full tank, during mating season so should be in tanks of 10 gallons or more

a single male betta - bettas are known to be hardy fish, but still get to large to be placed in a 1.5 long term

trio (2 females 1 male) sparkling dwarf gourami - sparkling gouramis are delicate fish's and therefore requi pristine water quality so should be placed in a lightly stocked tank with lots of cover, and with 3 sparkling gouramis, it would be hard to keep the water clean, and the gouramis are territorial so should be in tanks like 15 inches+

trio (2 females 1 male) badis badis, or dario Dario* - Dario and badis, are really delicate fish that require mature, cycled tanks and pristine water quality, so are not suitable for a 1.5 gallon, because it would be hard to keep the water clean, they also setup territories and like to raom the territory so they require larger tanks,

2-3 male guppies or endlers - once again, too active for this tank

Last edited by fishy friend2; 02-03-2012 at 11:14 AM..
fishy friend2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fishy friend2 For This Useful Post:
Jayy (02-03-2012)
Old 02-03-2012, 11:24 AM   #13
 
fishy friend2's Avatar
 
I would recommend a lightly planted tank, with river stones, black sand, a pice of driftwood with moss, and 10 cherry shrimp, 2 Nerite snails and another type of small shrimp
fishy friend2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:41 PM   #14
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishy friend2 View Post
I would recommend a lightly planted tank, with river stones, black sand, a pice of driftwood with moss, and 10 cherry shrimp, 2 Nerite snails and another type of small shrimp
the only problem I see is that the tank is a hex tank so there isn't alot of room on the base for the shrimp to move around. I will start by planting then go from there with the suggestions that have been made
sam7152004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:48 PM   #15
 
fishy friend2's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam7152004 View Post
the only problem I see is that the tank is a hex tank so there isn't alot of room on the base for the shrimp to move around. I will start by planting then go from there with the suggestions that have been made
honestly a 1.5 gallon tank is too small for any of those fish. and i already made my reasons why, so i woiuld highly suggest that you just stick with shrimp and snails as those fish are not suited for a 1.5
fishy friend2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fishy friend2 For This Useful Post:
sam7152004 (02-06-2012)
Old 02-03-2012, 06:37 PM   #16
 
Jayy's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishy friend2 View Post
you have a few options...

you can pick 1 off this list:
school of 6 ember tetras - You are right that these fish stay quite small, but are schooling fish that deserve to be in groups, of 6+ so a small tank like a 1.5 cannot support a group of these fish. Neither can the filter. These small delicate fish are a bad choice for suh a small tank as it would be hard to hold a cycle in that tank and it is highly likely that the cycle will crash, resulting in the deaths of these fish, and they are also very active fish and I wouldn't keep these in anything short of 12 inches

school of 6 Rasbora merah, nana, or brigittae - these fish a quite delicate, and aren't suitible for any aquarium unless the person with them is willing to do more than usual water changes to keep these fish happy, and with a 1.5 gallon tank it Would be hard to have pristine water quality with the amount of fish that micro rasboras should be in groups of. And plus these fish are really active, and skittish so would be zooming around the tank at times. That's why the minimum tank length is 15 inches.

school of 5 pygmy chain loach* - I know very little about this species so I cannot comment on these

a single male dwarf gourami or honey gourami - dwarf gouramis, get 2.5 inches on average and due to inbreeding are susceptible to dwarf gourami disease, which they get in stressful, conditions, and when in a 1.5 gallon will create stressfull conditions for a dwarf gourami, and honeys are also fish that are territorial and like to roam a full tank, during mating season so should be in tanks of 10 gallons or more

a single male betta - bettas are known to be hardy fish, but still get to large to be placed in a 1.5 long term

trio (2 females 1 male) sparkling dwarf gourami - sparkling gouramis are delicate fish's and therefore requi pristine water quality so should be placed in a lightly stocked tank with lots of cover, and with 3 sparkling gouramis, it would be hard to keep the water clean, and the gouramis are territorial so should be in tanks like 15 inches+

trio (2 females 1 male) badis badis, or dario Dario* - Dario and badis, are really delicate fish that require mature, cycled tanks and pristine water quality, so are not suitable for a 1.5 gallon, because it would be hard to keep the water clean, they also setup territories and like to raom the territory so they require larger tanks,

2-3 male guppies or endlers - once again, too active for this tank
+1,Once again a 1.5 is too small for fish. Like said above these fish may be small, but NEED space. If oyur profiles list the min being around 5gal, more or less, but 1.5. Certainly schooling keeping a school of fish even if they're small is not going to work. Shrimp is the ONLY way you can go in a tank of this size. I you don't want to keep them then, don't keep anything.
Jayy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jayy For This Useful Post:
sam7152004 (02-06-2012)
Old 02-06-2012, 12:40 PM   #17
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayy View Post
+1,Once again a 1.5 is too small for fish. Like said above these fish may be small, but NEED space. If oyur profiles list the min being around 5gal, more or less, but 1.5. Certainly schooling keeping a school of fish even if they're small is not going to work. Shrimp is the ONLY way you can go in a tank of this size. I you don't want to keep them then, don't keep anything.
ok thanks. what breed(s) of shrimp would you go with? and how many?
sam7152004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Desk tank.. bubbles1 Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 6 01-16-2012 02:49 PM
Seeking a tank suitable for desk space owl Freshwater Aquarium Equipment 4 12-01-2010 02:41 PM
Can my desk hold???? urmothaspizza Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 12 01-11-2010 08:58 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:26 AM.