New 45 gallon, Stock Help!! - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 06-02-2012, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
New 45 gallon, Stock Help!!

Just got a new (used) 45 gallon off of Craig's List, and I wanted some help with stocking....

All I am 100% on getting is either a peacock eel or a ropefish....or any other related brother

I am going to use sand....I have Quikrete play sand...not the white sand but the tannish brown one, is that good?

Any help?
Tigris is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 06-02-2012, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Bump!
Tigris is offline  
post #3 of 10 Old 06-04-2012, 10:30 AM
Member
 
Byron's Avatar
 
I've not maintained either fish personally, but a Ropefish requires a larger tank since it will attain up to 3 feet. The peacock eel will or should be fine in your tank, with sand. Here's some more info:
Tropical fish - Macrognathus siamensis - Peacock Eel

Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
Vancouver, BC, Canada

The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian. [unknown source]

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]
Byron is offline  
post #4 of 10 Old 06-04-2012, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
I've not maintained either fish personally, but a Ropefish requires a larger tank since it will attain up to 3 feet. The peacock eel will or should be fine in your tank, with sand. Here's some more info:
Tropical fish - Macrognathus siamensis - Peacock Eel
Just found this guy. It should work if I can find more info on him, he only gets about 8 in.

eel mastacembelus reg afromastacembelus sp. - Segrest Farms

Help finding info if possible?

Byron the Quikrete you sand you used was it brownish with little pieces of would in it?
Tigris is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 06-04-2012, 03:01 PM
Member
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigris View Post
Just found this guy. It should work if I can find more info on him, he only gets about 8 in.

eel mastacembelus reg afromastacembelus sp. - Segrest Farms

Help finding info if possible?

Byron the Quikrete you sand you used was it brownish with little pieces of would in it?
Sand is tan/gray dry, a mix of black/white/tan/gray particles. It is ideal for aquaria as it is not rough, so for burrowing fish this is what you want. I got mine at Home Depot in Canada, i believe Lowe's also carry it. Quikrete Play Sand.

On the eel, there are several species and I am unfamiliar with these. The common Tire-Track Eel is in this genus, it attains 3 feet.

Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
Vancouver, BC, Canada

The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian. [unknown source]

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]
Byron is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old 06-04-2012, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
Sand is tan/gray dry, a mix of black/white/tan/gray particles. It is ideal for aquaria as it is not rough, so for burrowing fish this is what you want. I got mine at Home Depot in Canada, i believe Lowe's also carry it. Quikrete Play Sand.

On the eel, there are several species and I am unfamiliar with these. The common Tire-Track Eel is in this genus, it attains 3 feet.

According to the wholesaler it should only get up to 8in...did your sand have little pieces of wood in it?
Tigris is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 06-04-2012, 04:10 PM
Member
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigris View Post
According to the wholesaler it should only get up to 8in...did your sand have little pieces of wood in it?
As I said, size depends upon the species. There are some 24 species in this genus...which by the way is no longer valid as Afromastachembelus, but now is just Mastachembelus. I wouldn't trust the dealer without knowing the species.

No, there was no wood in the playsand, and so far I've gone through 6 bags.

Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
Vancouver, BC, Canada

The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian. [unknown source]

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]
Byron is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old 06-04-2012, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
As I said, size depends upon the species. There are some 24 species in this genus...which by the way is no longer valid as Afromastachembelus, but now is just Mastachembelus. I wouldn't trust the dealer without knowing the species.

No, there was no wood in the playsand, and so far I've gone through 6 bags.
I'm doing to the research before I buy it....

As long as I get the wood out it should be ok I assume?
Tigris is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 06-04-2012, 05:09 PM
Member
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigris View Post
I'm doing to the research before I buy it....

As long as I get the wood out it should be ok I assume?
If it has fragments of real wood they will float when it is under water so they should rinse out.

Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
Vancouver, BC, Canada

The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian. [unknown source]

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]
Byron is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 06-04-2012, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
If it has fragments of real wood they will float when it is under water so they should rinse out.

Thanks for the help, still trying to find some info on this guy but every site I have seen, it's different
Tigris is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how should i stock my 55 gallon? ElectricBlueJD Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 6 05-04-2012 11:52 AM
75 gallon up and running (new stock) Sanguinefox Freshwater Journals 8 04-08-2012 09:51 PM
10 Gallon stock ideas bigehugedome Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 29 07-12-2011 04:06 PM
55 gallon stock help Trixsta Cichlids 3 10-22-2009 06:13 PM
Help me stock a 135 gallon tank CathyJ Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 24 03-01-2009 04:28 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome