Thought i'd let you know what was going on this weekend : a new tank set up ! I've got a great deal on a 20gal and decided to set it up in my living room, right were my 10 gal once was. Here is the adventure :
1. Tank all cleaned up, ready for the substrate !
2. Cleaning the play sand. Found out a good way to do it with the small shower head in my bath : just stick it in the bottom of the bucket half-filled with sand, and wait. Took about 15-20 minutes per bucket until water runned-off clean. Of course, Zora was there all along to help me ! (this cat loves water... go figure)
3. I used some play sand from Home Depot. It says it's pre-washed, I didn't notice... I used about half the 40lb bag.
4. Filling up the tank, there was quite a lot of cloudiness at first.
5. Waited a few hours, cloudiness was down enought so I could start the filter without worrying about sand getting stuck in the motor.
6. Finished working on the tank at about midnight on friday. This is the tank saturday morning. Still a bit cloudy, but I cleaned the mechanical filter in the HOB (Fluval C3) and it continued to clear-up. I really like how fluval designed the mechanical part of this filter. It's quite large but quite thin (about half an inch) and incorporates a sponge and some floss pressed together. Does a really good job of trapping big debris AND polishing up the water. Does need to be cleaned often though... about once a week.
7. Decided to go on a "zen" aquascape, I wanted it to look cold and peacefull. Lots of interesting rocks, with Java Moss, Java Fern, anubias. I don't remember the name of the plant on the right, someone know what it is ? Right now the plants are under 2x15w CFL 6500k and seems to be doing fine. I'm still looking for a floating plant, would like water sprite but it is not available where I am. I might go with floating wisteria. Any ideas ?
Fish are going in this week, since the Fluval C3 was on my 26gal aquarium and is fully populated with bacteria. I'll post some more pictures when I get them !
Any comments, advice, suggestions ?