I am getting a new tank for christmas and I'm extremely excited. This is the largest tank I have ever had and I want to start out right. Currently, I have a 7 gallon bow which has been up and running for close to a year. I only have 1 male guppy and 2 ghost shrimp in that tank.... So here's the point: I have a couple questions about setting up the tank.
1) I want to use the same table for the 16 gallon that my 7 gallon is on. However, the table is 12'' by 24''. The 16 gallon's dimensions are 20'' long x 13'' wide x 18'' tall. On another fish forum, I was told that it would be safe to put a slightly larger board on top of the table so the entire tank would be supported. Will this work in terms of weight distribution? Am I gambling with disaster?
2) I have a 100 gph power filter which has been filtering my 7 gallon for over 6 months. Is this filter adequate for the 16 gallon?
3) Since I can only have 1 tank up and running at one time, I plan to use all of the gravel, plants, and decor from my current tank in my 16 gallon. I will have to add some more stuff to fill it up, but if I use the cycled filter as well as all of the water from the 7 gallon will my new tank be ready for the male guppy and ghost shrimp ASAP?
4) If I plan to get more guppies and let them breed/eat their fry at will, how many more males and females should I add after the tank is cycled?
5) Any other advice on cycling/setup/stocking would be greatly appreciated!!! I want to consider everything before setting up my tank on Christmas.