Neon Tetras Vanished! - Page 2
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » Neon Tetras Vanished!

Neon Tetras Vanished!

This is a discussion on Neon Tetras Vanished! within the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> You can treat ich without chemicals (but its a pain in the u know what.) You will need 2 Q Tanks. Fish out everybody ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Kuhli Loach
Kuhli Loach
Croaking Gourami
Croaking Gourami
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
Neon Tetras Vanished!
Old 09-02-2010, 04:53 PM   #11
 
You can treat ich without chemicals (but its a pain in the u know what.)
You will need 2 Q Tanks. Fish out everybody and put them in 1 Q tank. Your main tank should remain empty for the next 3 days ( the ich will die because there are no living hosts). Switch fish to clean Q Tank every 8 hours. (By clean I mean - tank should have 100% water changes) Your ich will be gone within 1 week.
Its all in the timing - the life cycle of ich is 12 hrs. Every 8 hrs or so, they drop off the fish and fall to the bottom of the tank to reproduce. Good luck!
As to your neons - I agree they are very delicate fish and kudos to that person who has never had a problem with them - your silver tips may be eating them - neons are universal fish food and should only be kept with the most docile fish (like cories and cardinals)or fish of same size.
afishianado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:54 PM   #12
 
kitten_penang's Avatar
 
since you'll need it for the ram.theres no harm having an extra heater around.
kitten_penang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:52 PM   #13
 
aunt kymmie's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by enragingchaos View Post
Yes, I have those heaters in all my tanks.
aunt kymmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:29 PM   #14
 
enragingchaos's Avatar
 
Okay guys...

I will also need to keep the PH in check for sure on the Rams...what's some affordable tests that you all use that use a dropper and a tube?

Any general tips in Ram care?

I've heard 20% water changes weekly or biweekly along with 6.0-7.5 PH level, and feed them lots of meaty foods? That sound right?

Edit

Found this: Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Wide Range pH Test Kit

Good kit?

Last edited by enragingchaos; 09-04-2010 at 11:35 PM..
enragingchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 11:55 AM   #15
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by enragingchaos View Post
Okay guys...

I will also need to keep the PH in check for sure on the Rams...what's some affordable tests that you all use that use a dropper and a tube?

Any general tips in Ram care?

I've heard 20% water changes weekly or biweekly along with 6.0-7.5 PH level, and feed them lots of meaty foods? That sound right?

Edit

Found this: Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Wide Range pH Test Kit

Good kit?
API make reliable test kits. But the one linked is for ponds, though frankly I don't know what that may mean if used with an aquarium. But I would get the standard freshwater pH kit, the "normal" range should work unless you know your tap water is very high (around 8) in which case the high range kit.

As for ram care, check out our fish profile. There are two rams, Mikrogeophagus ramirezi is the common or blue ram [this is not an "easy" fish], and Mikrogeophagus altispinosus is the Bolivian Ram. The latter is less "fussy" as the profile info will detail. Click on shaded fish names in posts to see the profile, or use the second tab from the left in the blue bar at the top.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 12:05 PM   #16
 
enragingchaos's Avatar
 
I just measured my tank.

It's 30" wide, 12" front to back, and 16" from top to bottom.

Would this support 2 Bolivian Rams?

It's saying 36" tank for two...
enragingchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 12:16 PM   #17
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by enragingchaos View Post
I just measured my tank.

It's 30" wide, 12" front to back, and 16" from top to bottom.

Would this support 2 Bolivian Rams?

It's saying 36" tank for two...
Some might say yes, but not me. I know this fish, I have a pair in my 115g. that regularly spawn, but the male between spawnings is very rough on the female. I can't imagine this pair in a small (comparatively) tank. And two males would be worse; males attain 3.5 inches. One in your tank would work fine; this fish, as noted in the profile, is suited to being on its own.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 01:00 PM   #18
 
enragingchaos's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
Some might say yes, but not me. I know this fish, I have a pair in my 115g. that regularly spawn, but the male between spawnings is very rough on the female. I can't imagine this pair in a small (comparatively) tank. And two males would be worse; males attain 3.5 inches. One in your tank would work fine; this fish, as noted in the profile, is suited to being on its own.
Okay, that helps!

Thanks Byron, I really appreciate your help and everyone else who has commented on this thread!
enragingchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Neon tetras ill smiler987 Tropical Fish Diseases 3 05-12-2010 10:13 AM
Do Neon Tetras school with any other fish (part. Gold Tetras or Harlequin Rasboras)? Akeath Freshwater and Tropical Fish 1 11-09-2009 07:15 PM
Neon Tetras Guber Characins 4 07-12-2009 12:54 PM
Neon Tetras Puffer Fish Breeding 2 07-15-2007 02:22 AM
neon tetras trreherd Tropical Fish Diseases 4 11-23-2006 12:35 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:07 AM.