Need suggestions for bottom feeder
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » Need suggestions for bottom feeder

Need suggestions for bottom feeder

This is a discussion on Need suggestions for bottom feeder within the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> It has been ages since I kept Angel fish, but now I have a lovely pair of babies in a 45 gallon hex tank. ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Lemon Tetra
Lemon Tetra
Clown Loach
Clown Loach
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
Need suggestions for bottom feeder
Old 04-13-2014, 06:15 PM   #1
 
totorothealmight's Avatar
 
Need suggestions for bottom feeder

It has been ages since I kept Angel fish, but now I have a lovely pair of babies in a 45 gallon hex tank. I would love to have a bottom feeder or more (depending on the species). I would like to try something more interesting than cories. Any ideas? Thanks!!
totorothealmight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 06:42 PM   #2
 
tankman12's Avatar
 
Kuhli loaches, ghost shrimp, whisker shrimp, yoyo loaches, bumblebee cats, zebra loaches, banjo cats, whiptails cats, glass cats, Raphael cats, clown plecos, assassin snails, honeycomb cats, mystery snails, nerite snails, ramshorn snails. I know u said that u didn't want cories, but if u can get them, a school of orange laser cories, or some Pygmy cories would be more interesting than some of the more basic types. For some mid schooling fish, if i u dont want anything to common than here r some species. Copper rasboras, glowlight danios, rummynose tetras, cardinal tetras, brass tetras, odessa barbs, pencilfish,ect... Hope this helps :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by tankman12; 04-13-2014 at 06:53 PM..
tankman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tankman12 For This Useful Post:
totorothealmight (04-13-2014)
Old 04-13-2014, 07:00 PM   #3
 
totorothealmight's Avatar
 
I always forget about Banjo Cats! They are pretty cool! Thanks! Great ideas!
totorothealmight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 10:28 PM   #4
 
jaysee's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankman12 View Post
Kuhli loaches, ghost shrimp, whisker shrimp, yoyo loaches, bumblebee cats, zebra loaches, banjo cats, whiptails cats, glass cats, Raphael cats, clown plecos, assassin snails, honeycomb cats, mystery snails, nerite snails, ramshorn snails. I know u said that u didn't want cories, but if u can get them, a school of orange laser cories, or some Pygmy cories would be more interesting than some of the more basic types. For some mid schooling fish, if i u dont want anything to common than here r some species. Copper rasboras, glowlight danios, rummynose tetras, cardinal tetras, brass tetras, odessa barbs, pencilfish,ect... Hope this helps :)
Posted via Mobile Device
Glass cats are not bottom dwellers, and the yoyos and zebra loaches require a bigger tank. Odessa barbs are too big as well.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 12:30 AM   #5
 
Hold on here, Tankman12, many of the fish you're suggesting are way too large for a 45 Hex's floor space. Kuhlis would be fine, say 6-8. Most of the rest is too big. You could go with a crayfish. With the Angels, any shrimp you add will become a meal.
henningc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 02:08 AM   #6
 
WayneL's Avatar
 
I added six Bleeding Heart tetras to my 55 gal. Love 'em. They are shoal fish more than schooling fish, who seem to be more hanging out than tightly grouped. The BHTs are never far apart. Watching them move as one is like bringing home nature. Highly recommended over other tetras I've experienced. I have zebra danios, too, scout squad. Three. Two of them are close, while the other interacts in passing. Not the same behavior as the BHTs.

I'm watching this thread closely to see how the suggestions for the cleanup crew go. Gonna need some myself.
WayneL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 02:27 AM   #7
 
jaysee's Avatar
 
I can see a crayfish making a mess of the angels fins. That's not a combo I would try. I mean it's one thing for a normally finned fish to have imperfect fins - but a fish who's fins play an integral part in its beauty? I'd be concerned.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 01:58 PM   #8
 
tankman12's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysee View Post
Glass cats are not bottom dwellers, and the yoyos and zebra loaches require a bigger tank. Odessa barbs are too big as well.
U could actually keep 3-4 yoyos or zebras in that tank. Also if the u really wanted to u could keep a small school of odessas. Plus glass cats do tend 2 linger on the bottom part of the tank.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by tankman12; 04-14-2014 at 02:00 PM..
tankman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 03:47 PM   #9
 
jaysee's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankman12 View Post
U could actually keep 3-4 yoyos or zebras in that tank. Also if the u really wanted to u could keep a small school of odessas. Plus glass cats do tend 2 linger on the bottom part of the tank.

Posted via Mobile Device

You could actually do anything you want......doesn't mean that you should.

Sacrificing school size in order to make the fish "fit" into a tank just demonstrates that they shouldn't be in that small of a tank. Having kept several species of barbs, I would never suggest people keep them in such a small group.

Having Angelicus and zebras, I would never consider putting them in a tank with such a small footprint. It's easy to be fooled by the gallons of irregularly shaped tanks, but the number of gallons of a tank are irrelevant to stocking. What matters are the dimensions of the tank.

Swimming in the lower half of the tank does not make a fish a bottom dweller. Glass cats are not bottom dwellers.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:27 PM   #10
 
totorothealmight's Avatar
 
I am no hurry to overstock this tank! I am quite happy with my little angels, but I really like the loach idea I think. I have not really explored some of the newer cories, but I may try some in another tank I have in the works!! So many tanks!
totorothealmight is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need a bottom feeder Super4Ever Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 6 04-25-2014 12:48 PM
What bottom feeder should I get? JD3P Catfish 8 12-25-2010 06:53 PM
What Bottom Feeder Should I Get? TheRummy Freshwater and Tropical Fish 12 11-10-2009 09:35 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:12 AM.