Hi all! I need some help....
So I got a new job and at the office my boss keeps a Fluval 5(I think?)gal tank. the one that is taller with the filter that comes out of the middle-top of the tank. I'm not sure when the last water change was. I know it was before Sept. 1st cause that's when I started working here.
There is a poor betta in the tank along with a mated pair of african dwarf frogs. I don't know what I should do first to fix up the tank. It looks nasty because there is a brownish algae on sides of the glass. There are many problems with the tank other than the water change..
1. He was feeding the frogs algae wafers and the betta flakes. I have since got betta food and pellets for the frogs from my LFS.
2. The light on the filter piece is broken. I have done a little research and figured out I have to purchase a whole new filter to replace the light, its a little expensive right now for me to buy - ~40$. And if I get a new filter and install it, I'm afraid the tank will go through a cycle and I don't want to subject the frogs and betta to that.
3. I don't have any equipment to do a water change. Since September I have seen him top off the tank with water, but when I asked him if he treated the water before he put it in and he didn't know what I was talking about! He said he makes sure its about the right temp tho. (I used to have a 55 gal tank with livebearers but shortly after I had to tear it down due to my sister having to move into my room. I am fully aware of cycling and the bacteria in the water.) I was hoping to buy a small vacuum hose and bucket over the weekend. But I'm not sure how big a water change I could do and also not shock the fish.
4. there is no heater in the tank! I don't want to shock the betta or frogs and put a heater in there, do you think they will be okay?
5. one of the frogs, the female I think as ive seen them mate once, is malnourished and yesterday when I put the first pellet from the pet store in, I'm not sure if she got any as I saw the male eating it, I think he was being a little piggy and hogging it lol. The betta also has a really hard time eating the flakes my boss had been giving it, I'm kinda surprised its still alive!
All in all, I would really appreciate any help or advice in what I need to do to help out this betta as he looks like hes in really bad shape and must really be hanging on!