Need help with 55g. - Page 2
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » Need help with 55g.

Need help with 55g.

This is a discussion on Need help with 55g. within the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> Originally Posted by okiemavis The last option is to go for a more peaceful community tank, that's what I'd do. Two shoals of 6 ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Convict Cichlids
Convict Cichlids
Pepper Cory
Pepper Cory
Reply
Old 02-08-2008, 04:56 PM   #11
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by okiemavis
The last option is to go for a more peaceful community tank, that's what I'd do. Two shoals of 6 corys each would be really fun for the bottom. You could get one of a dark breed and one of panda cories, or another light colored species. They'll stick to their own groups and it's so fun to watch them interact!
I think I like this idea, would any breed of cory work? What about fish for the middle and top part of the tank?
Worldcupkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 05:48 PM   #12
 
okiemavis's Avatar
 
Well, it's really up to you. There's lots of fun fish for the middle level- livebearers like guppies and platies, shoaling fish like tetras. As for the top, I absolutely love my honey gourami. They're very quiet, peaceful little fish with these adorable little feelers! There are a lot of cool gourami, but I got these guys because a lot of gourami males will pick on the females, honey's can be less aggressive. Really all gourami are pretty good though, so you could go with another kind. There's also some cool inverts to add to your tank that will keep it nice and clean. Ghost shrimp are the standard, but there's some other really colorful ones. Any shrimp will do just fine in a community tank.

I'd recommend browsing through the internet and seeing what catches your eye. Feel free to post a list of what you were thinking and we'll chime in on how well we think it will work.
okiemavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 06:58 PM   #13
 
Well weve already got a gourami tank, so I would like to get something other then gouramis. Heres a list of what we are looking at.

Tiger Barb
Turquoise Danio
Clown Loach
Dalmatian Molly
Pleco
Rainbow fish
Swordtail
Knifefish
Dragon Goby
Dusky Panther Goby
Snakeskin Barb
Worldcupkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 09:46 PM   #14
 
MKSII's Avatar
 
I love rainbows, especially the Boesemani Rainbows. I have red iranians too. An awesome schooling fish, but harder to find and more $$, are the redline sharks.
MKSII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 09:49 PM   #15
 
Lupin's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldcupkeeper
Well weve already got a gourami tank, so I would like to get something other then gouramis. Heres a list of what we are looking at.

Tiger Barb
Turquoise Danio
Clown Loach
*Dalmatian Molly
*Pleco
*Rainbow fish
*Swordtail
Knifefish
Dragon Goby
Dusky Panther Goby
Snakeskin Barb
The following with asterisks in quote are suitable. The rest are not. May I ask for the scientific name of the snakeskin barb.

Most barbs, danios and loaches will nip. With gouramis, stick to kuhli loaches. What species are these rainbowfish and plecos you are looking for? Most knifefish can outgrow a 55g. African brown knives are your best bets. The gobies mentioned are brackish water species thus these are not suitable for freshwater tanks.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 10:13 PM   #16
 
okiemavis's Avatar
 
If you wanted a goby you could go for a bumblebee goby- they're freshwater, and pretty peaceful.
okiemavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 10:52 PM   #17
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin
The following with asterisks in quote are suitable. The rest are not. May I ask for the scientific name of the snakeskin barb.

Most barbs, danios and loaches will nip. With gouramis, stick to kuhli loaches. What species are these rainbowfish and plecos you are looking for? Most knifefish can outgrow a 55g. African brown knives are your best bets. The gobies mentioned are brackish water species thus these are not suitable for freshwater tanks.
For the snakeskin barb (Puntius rhombocellatus)

We were just looking for rainbows and plecos in general, our local pet shop has each but im not sure what breed they are.
Worldcupkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 10:56 PM   #18
 
MKSII's Avatar
 
Boesemani Rainbow


MKSII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 11:43 PM   #19
 
Lupin's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by okiemavis
If you wanted a goby you could go for a bumblebee goby- they're freshwater, and pretty peaceful.
Ditto.

The barbs should be fine, WCK.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 10:42 AM   #20
 
crazy4fish's Avatar
 
i would get boesemani rainbows if i were you. they are so colorful! i would also think about kuhlis and corys for the bottom. i would get some kind of schooling fish for the middle as well.
crazy4fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:00 AM.