11-14-2008, 06:26 PM
| || |
Your tank is in the process of cycling. That means that the benificial bacteria which convert ammonia (harmful) to nitrite (harmful) and finally to nitrate (fine in moderate amounts, removed during water changes). When these bacteria are not yet established, ammonia and nitrite will build up fast and be toxic to your fish. My best guess would be that the fish a)died of ammonia poisoning or b)were diseased when you bought them. What you really need is a good liquid test kit (API Master Test Kit is a good one) and to test daily for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. Every time ammonia or nitrite get over .25 ppm, you will need to do at least a 25% water change. Make sure to not vaccuum the gravel too vigorously at this point, just enough to remove any excess gunk from one small portion each change. Also, make sure to dechlorinate the water that you add to the tank. I would not get any more fish until the cycle is complete as more will compound ammonia and nitrite problems, and may introduce disease while you don't have a quarantine tank.
I would also advise you to do some more in depth research on cycling a tank so that you understand it better.
Do you have a lid on this tank?