Need advice on these stones please. - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 04-06-2012, 04:01 AM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Need advice on these stones please.

Hello community! I am currently fishless cycling a arc 45l for a couple of dwarf puffers. Just going through a nice nitrite spike so should be cycled in the not too distant future. I have got some tahitian moonsand and a lovely bit of driftwood which I will attach some weeping moss to for the main deco focal point of the tank. I wanted to put some small stones/rocks in to make some interesting places for the inquisitive puffers to explore.
When I was cycling back from work yesterday through an industrial estate I passed by a local plumbers college. Outside the building are two big 'flower beds' which have literally thousands of these two types of lovely looking pebbles and rocks that are in these pictures. Underneath the stones there looks like a kind of tarpooling canvas so the stones are very clean and have obviously been bought to fill the areas.
I took a couple with me and tested them with vinegar last night and there was no fizzing or bubbling from either.
I would be grateful if anyone could tell me if they thought they would be safe for the aquarium, I would clean them in hot water and leave them to see the water quality after a few days. If they are ok I assume that I DON'T boil them?
Thank you in advance, Tony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image0262.jpg (19.0 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Image0263.jpg (24.3 KB, 18 views)
vigosh is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 Old 04-06-2012, 04:16 AM
Member
 
Ah, I have a few of these in my tanks. They're just natural stones that have been polished *either naturally, in a running stream, or artificially*. I have them in my 12 gallon tank for over a year now, and nothing bad has happened. No changing of water, particles, or what not. They're quite inert.
excal88 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to excal88 For This Useful Post:
vigosh (04-06-2012)
post #3 of 7 Old 04-06-2012, 07:25 AM
Member
 
Geomancer's Avatar
 
You can test if rocks are safe by putting an acid on them, vinegar works, and seeing if they fizz. If they do, then they will dissolve in the water and mess with your GH/KH/pH.

You shouldn't boil rocks, but I would at least clean them before putting them in the tank.

Also, if you didn't ask the business before taking the rocks ... technically that's theft...
Geomancer is offline  
post #4 of 7 Old 04-06-2012, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
New Member
 
In my original post I explained I had already tested with vinegar and got the green light from that test. Yes, thanks was gonna give them a really good scrub as I don't want any nasties getting into the tank. Is it worth adding a bit of ammonia (Kleen Off, which I am currently using as my ammonia source for the fishless) or a bit of diluted bleach in the hot water I am cleaning them in?
I really doubt the place would miss a few stones from a source of tens of thousands tbh.
vigosh is offline  
post #5 of 7 Old 04-06-2012, 08:36 AM
Member
 
Geomancer's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by vigosh View Post
In my original post I explained I had already tested with vinegar and got the green light from that test. Yes, thanks was gonna give them a really good scrub as I don't want any nasties getting into the tank. Is it worth adding a bit of ammonia (Kleen Off, which I am currently using as my ammonia source for the fishless) or a bit of diluted bleach in the hot water I am cleaning them in?
I would use bleach, it's chlorine which your water conditioner can get ride of any remnants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigosh View Post
I really doubt the place would miss a few stones from a source of tens of thousands tbh.
Probably, but people can be quite picky/funny about stuff like that.
Geomancer is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Geomancer For This Useful Post:
vigosh (04-06-2012)
post #6 of 7 Old 04-06-2012, 11:37 AM
Member
 
Byron's Avatar
 
I have some of those in my tanks. They are termed river rock, because they have been tumbled around in a river and been worn smooth. I bought mine in a landscape quarry outlet for I think 75 cents for a bucket full.

The acid test is fine, and usually these river rocks are safe that way. Knowing what they may have come into contact with is unknown of course, but a good scrubbing in very hot (not boiling as was mentioned) water is all I do. There is always a risk, but in my view minimal with this tpe of rock. You can buy these in fish stores too--for a lot more money--but they don't know where they have come from anymore than we do with the ones we get elsewhere.

Byron.

Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
Vancouver, BC, Canada

The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian. [unknown source]

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]
Byron is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Byron For This Useful Post:
vigosh (04-06-2012)
post #7 of 7 Old 04-06-2012, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Thanks to all of you, you have been very insightful and helpful.
vigosh is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
air stones sharelove Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 1 12-21-2010 11:47 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome