Need advice on stocking 22 gallon cube.... - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 11-23-2012, 04:51 AM Thread Starter
Need advice on stocking 22 gallon cube....

It isn't done cycling yet buy I can't be completely sure because I don't know the parameters. I do 50% weekly water changes, have a 20 gallon filter and heater.
According to my ammonie sticker the levels are safe. I have some plants: 2 aponogetons, plan on getting more and looking to get some jungle Val. Also have an amazon sword red lily and wisteria. Had a crypt Wendi but they leaves fell off. Any chance it will grow back if I put a root tab close to it?
And I have 1 apple snail in it currently.

I was thinking of getting an upside down catfish and 2 or 3 kuhlie loaches.
Let me know what you think!


Ciroc aka Sir rocky

I have an obsession.....
I love animals...
ItsKourtneyYoC8 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 Old 11-23-2012, 07:44 AM
TFK Moderator
 
SeaHorse's Avatar
 
Hi, looking good. Yes adding a few more plants and can I suggest a background to hide the wires.
Not sure if this is a pic after just planting but if you are not already do so, start adding plant fertilizer ever 3 days, so 2x a week and on the 7th day do your water change. Just don't do your WCH on the fert day. Also get you lights on a timer if you can and make sure the plants are getting a good 8 hours a day. Check to make sure you have the right bulb in your light for plants as well. Do this and you will see a dramatic improvement in your plants by the end of the first week. The difference between seeing them look exactly the same as the week before or new leaves coming! Woohoo! New leaves means thickening or more height and eventually leads to you being able to split them up or runners making new plants on their own.
How long has it been set up? and what are you planning to put in there? Good luck.
SeaHorse is offline  
post #3 of 14 Old 11-23-2012, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakiebabie View Post
Hi, looking good. Yes adding a few more plants and can I suggest a background to hide the wires.
Not sure if this is a pic after just planting but if you are not already do so, start adding plant fertilizer ever 3 days, so 2x a week and on the 7th day do your water change. Just don't do your WCH on the fert day. Also get you lights on a timer if you can and make sure the plants are getting a good 8 ho s a day. Check to make sure you have the right bulb in your light for plants as well. Do this and you will see a dramatic improvement in your plants by the end of the first week. The difference between seeing them look exactly the same as the week before or new leaves coming! Woohoo! New leaves means thickening or more height and eventually leads to you being able to split up or runners making new plants on their own.
How long has it been set up? and what are you planning to put in there? Good luck.

Thanks! It's been a lot of fun so far and a friend of mine is getting into it to. I originally had a 5 gallon but gave it to my friend when I got this about 2 months ago and its been set up for about 1 month and a half. The first two weeks I did 1 50% weekly and did one 75% since setting it up and now do about 25%-30% weekly. I'm planning on starting a log book for it. My fiance and our friends went to an lfs andwe got some plants and snails and we fell involve with the cutest clown loach. I know they need more space when they are adults and I explained that to my fiance so we agreed that when he gets too big we will make an upgrade with another loach or two and since they are
slow growers it won't be anytime soon because he is tiny. Not even orange yet. I'd say he is about 3 months. So today I added a clown loach, nerite snail, some floating anarchos, red wendth and I got some telanthera cardinalis the isn't in the tank yet. Which brings the question I've been mulling over, how do you add plantsinto the soil without making a mess?

Oh and there is Mac, my apple snail who has been in there since a week after setting it up with my male veiltail betta, Ciroc who sadly past awayin his hospital tank.

Ciroc aka Sir rocky

I have an obsession.....
I love animals...
ItsKourtneyYoC8 is offline  
post #4 of 14 Old 11-24-2012, 08:59 AM
TFK Moderator
 
SeaHorse's Avatar
 
Awww I'm sorry you lost Sir Rocky!! We all learn as we go and sometimes we never know what happened, what went wrong, what did I do wrong... etc. Just keep learning as you go, do the best you can at all times, its a living creature. I shouldn't have to say that but you would be surprised!
It is very easy to fall in love with those cute little fish, and you know he is going to get big and will eventually need more space. I believe loaches are also a social fish and he needs buddies.... a group of 6 I think, that makes the needed tank even bigger! lol See how this goes??! He is a bottom dweller so you can also plan on something that swims mid level, something compatible with him/them.
Do your research on his species, and think long term about what you will need in the future. There are lots of deals out there, no one has to buy new. You just need to find the space and an outside wall for a big heavy tank, or basement. Water is approx 10lb a gallon plus rocks/gravel/tank and stand.
Don't hesitate to bring questions to the Chat room too. Post a pic of his if you can!!
SeaHorse is offline  
post #5 of 14 Old 11-24-2012, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakiebabie View Post
Awww I'm sorry you lost Sir Rocky!! We all learn as we go and sometimes we never know what happened, what went wrong, what did I do wrong... etc. Just keep learning as you go, do the best you can at all times, its a living creature. I shouldn't have to say that but you would be surprised!
It is very easy to fall in love with those cute little fish, and you know he is going to get big and will eventually need more space. I believe loaches are also a social fish and he needs buddies.... a group of 6 I think, that makes the needed tank even bigger! lol See how this goes??! He is a bottom dweller so you can also plan on something that swims mid level, something compatible with him/them.
Do your research on his species, and think long term about what you will need in the future. There are lots of deals out there, no one has to buy new. You just need to find the space and an outside wall for a big heavy tank, or basement. Water is approx 10lb a gallon plus rocks/gravel/tank and stand.
Don't hesitate to bring questions to the Chat room too. Post a pic of his if you can!!

Thank you so much.. it has been heartbreaking but I know good things end so better things can begin. My fiance is starting to realize why I like this hobby so much and being very supportive. He decided we could keep the loach and get him buddies and abigger tank as they grow. We are planning on getting it after the holidays. The loach is still young, possiblytwo or three months and very shy but rambunctious at the same time and sooooooooo cute! I do have pictures but I can't get them uploaded on tinypic or photobucket. I'm not sure if he is eating yet though. I tried feeding him some bloodworms last night but I don't know if he ate any or not. I do know the snails were munching on them though.
SeaHorse likes this.

Ciroc aka Sir rocky

I have an obsession.....
I love animals...
ItsKourtneyYoC8 is offline  
post #6 of 14 Old 11-25-2012, 11:36 AM
Member
 
Byron's Avatar
 
The clown loach really needs a group. All loaches are highly social fish, and 5+ is the best number, though in this case I suppose 3 would be better than none. But the danger with less than 5 is the pecking order. But bear in mind that this species will need a 6 foot length tank; they get 8-12 inches normally, but up to 16 inches is possible. If a tank this large is not going to be feasible within a couple months, I would return the loach.

Shoaling fish (like the loaches) must have a group or they will be stressed and this causes weakened immune systems, more health problems, and a shorter lifespan. And the group need sufficient space in which to grow, or similar problems occur.

The best way to avoid these issues is by researching the species before acquiring it. We have profiles, second tab from the left in the blue bar across the top of the page. If the name is used the same in posts it will shade, as it did above, and you can click that link to the profile. Please have a read.

Another item is the water parameters; the GH and pH of the tap water are essential to know. The GH (general hardness) you should be able to ascertain from the water supply people. And a good liquid pH test kit like API's is worth the money. Some fish cannot manage too far outside their preferences for GH, pH and temperature.

Byron.

Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
Vancouver, BC, Canada

The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian. [unknown source]

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]
Byron is offline  
post #7 of 14 Old 11-25-2012, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
The clown loach really needs a group. All loaches are highly social fish, and 5+ is the best number, though in this case I suppose 3 would be better than none. But the danger with less than 5 is the pecking order. But bear in mind that this species will need a 6 foot length tank; they get 8-12 inches normally, but up to 16 inches is possible. If a tank this large is not going to be feasible within a couple months, I would return the loach.

Shoaling fish (like the loaches) must have a group or they will be stressed and this causes weakened immune systems, more health problems, and a shorter lifespan. And the group need sufficient space in which to grow, or similar problems occur.

The best way to avoid these issues is by researching the species before acquiring it. We have profiles, second tab from the left in the blue bar across the top of the page. If the name is used the same in posts it will shade, as it did above, and you can click that link to the profile. Please have a read.

Another item is the water parameters; the GH and pH of the tap water are essential to know. The GH (general hardness) you should be able to ascertain from the water supply people. And a good liquid pH test kit like API's is worth the money. Some fish cannot manage too far outside their preferences for GH, pH and temperature.

Byron.
I understand that and I've done a lot of research which is why we are getting a bigger tank after the holidays. I plan on get four and having them grow up together and my lfs has them and can order them. They have two right now that are two inches. Would I be able to house the three in the 22 till after Christmas? Maybe by Christmas, not sure. My ph is 6.5-7.0 and last time I tested the gh it was 60 I think.and I make sure my water stays clean with 25% -30%changes weekly and sometimes 50%. I'm doing one today actually and adding a new plant and changing the decor a bit to suit his needs. Do you have any tips on adding plants without making a mess? Should I just take out 80% or so then add it so it won't make the eater so murky?The temps stay between 78-80 F. I'm also pretty sure my tank is cycled by now.

Ciroc aka Sir rocky

I have an obsession.....
I love animals...
ItsKourtneyYoC8 is offline  
post #8 of 14 Old 11-25-2012, 05:50 PM
Member
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsKourtneyYoC8 View Post
I understand that and I've done a lot of research which is why we are getting a bigger tank after the holidays. I plan on get four and having them grow up together and my lfs has them and can order them. They have two right now that are two inches. Would I be able to house the three in the 22 till after Christmas? Maybe by Christmas, not sure. My ph is 6.5-7.0 and last time I tested the gh it was 60 I think.and I make sure my water stays clean with 25% -30%changes weekly and sometimes 50%. I'm doing one today actually and adding a new plant and changing the decor a bit to suit his needs. Do you have any tips on adding plants without making a mess? Should I just take out 80% or so then add it so it won't make the eater so murky?The temps stay between 78-80 F. I'm also pretty sure my tank is cycled by now.
If the 6 foot tank is a certainty, then the clowns will be fine where they are for a couple months.

Whenever you dig in to the substrate, it will be a mess, that is as it should be. What is the substrate material?

Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
Vancouver, BC, Canada

The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian. [unknown source]

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]
Byron is offline  
post #9 of 14 Old 11-25-2012, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
If the 6 foot tank is a certainty, then the clowns will be fine where they are for a couple months.

Whenever you dig in to the substrate, it will be a mess, that is as it should be. What is the substrate material?
Well how many gallons would a 6 foot tank be? And what would be the minimum size in gallons for 3 or 4 loaches? If I were to only get three they would be growing up together and if there are any problems I'll add another.

I have soil and small river like pebbles as the substrate.

Ciroc aka Sir rocky

I have an obsession.....
I love animals...
ItsKourtneyYoC8 is offline  
post #10 of 14 Old 11-25-2012, 06:26 PM
Member
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsKourtneyYoC8 View Post
Well how many gallons would a 6 foot tank be? And what would be the minimum size in gallons for 3 or 4 loaches? If I were to only get three they would be growing up together and if there are any problems I'll add another.

I have soil and small river like pebbles as the substrate.
Ah, soil is going to be worse if you dig into it. Try not to. It should be set up and then left alone.

On the loach, I follow the maxim that if I do not have running now the necessary tank that a fish will need, I will not buy the fish. Circumstances can change, and larger tanks may not materialize. Then the poor fish suffers. Loaches absolutely must have 5 in the group, or 4 if that is all you can get. They are highly social. They also establish a pecking order, and the danger with too few is that one fish may end up being bullied, literally to death. The stress from this is significant and does affect the fish's health. Please read out profile, rather than me having to repeat it all: Clown Loach.

Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
Vancouver, BC, Canada

The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian. [unknown source]

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]
Byron is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
200 liter cube stocking - advice needed thistly Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 10 12-14-2009 05:03 AM
stocking a 60 gallon cube zeal Saltwater Fish 3 12-01-2009 07:30 PM
stocking my 29 gallon bio cube jimmyhoye Saltwater Fish 3 06-10-2009 01:15 AM
Stocking advice for 30 gallon CSGirl Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 19 02-20-2009 11:13 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome