On my way to getting my dream aquarium... - Page 6
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » On my way to getting my dream aquarium...

On my way to getting my dream aquarium...

This is a discussion on On my way to getting my dream aquarium... within the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> Wow, you could keep some really cool fish in a tank that size. Originally Posted by Tapil I saw a 180 gallon tank at ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Rosy Tetra
Rosy Tetra
Rainbow Emperor Tetra
Rainbow Emperor Tetra
View Poll Results: If I had a 220 Gallon Aquarium, I would stock....
Cichlids. Duh. 34 30.36%
It would be Saltwater. That's how I roll. 11 9.82%
Bala Sharks 14 12.50%
Tinfoil Barbs 6 5.36%
1 Male Betta 6 5.36%
100 Neon Tetras 23 20.54%
Rainbowfish 13 11.61%
Goldfish 4 3.57%
Other - Please elaborate in a comment in the thread. 22 19.64%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree419Likes

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
On my way to getting my dream aquarium...
Old 05-25-2012, 05:19 PM   #51
 
Canadian Fish's Avatar
 
Wow, you could keep some really cool fish in a tank that size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapil View Post
I saw a 180 gallon tank at a superfish store the other day for $1248 with lights and glass lid.

I would have bought it but im afraid 1400+ pounds is a bit too much stress for my old floors to handle :/

Nice buy though! :)
Canadian Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:55 AM   #52
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapil View Post
I saw a 180 gallon tank at a superfish store the other day for $1248 with lights and glass lid.

I would have bought it but im afraid 1400+ pounds is a bit too much stress for my old floors to handle :/

Nice buy though! :)
Gesh that's expense. I can build the same thing with 1/2" cel cast acrylic for under 600 US dollars. Granted I will have to build it but its half the price of what LFS charge for large tanks. I have begun designing my dream tank. A 180g that I will take my time building the setup from scratch. Kind of like layway. I don't have the large lump some of money to get everything right away so stretching it out over time eases the pocket book. Downside is the anticipation of a completed setup.

Canadian Fish good choice of a filter. I ran dual Aquaclear 300s (now 70) on my 55g for about 10 years. Best HOB in my opinion. Cheap and easy to clean when you run just the sponges. I just upgraded to Eheim 2213 canisters. Much much quieter,lol. Glad I switched to canister. Less visible clutter and easy on the ears until the water level drops.
Canadian Fish likes this.
flight50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:09 AM   #53
 
50galkid's Avatar
 
AWESOME! This tank will be awesome and i agree bala sharks would go great in a 6 foot tank with a school. any ideas of what fish you know for SURE that you wan't to put in?
Canadian Fish likes this.
50galkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:24 AM   #54
 
Canadian Fish's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50galkid View Post
AWESOME! This tank will be awesome and i agree bala sharks would go great in a 6 foot tank with a school. any ideas of what fish you know for SURE that you wan't to put in?
We're really leaning towards building the community around the balas. We saw 2 at our LFS that had grown to 8 or 9 inches and they were really cool. Someone had brought them in. They also had a bunch that were around 3" and that is what we'd like to start with. I'd like a school of 5, if I have room. I'm not sure what type of barbs and loaches I want to keep with them.

I already have a school of zebra loaches in a 55, and I plan on putting some yoyos in my other 55, so I want a different type in the 125. I don't have any barbs in any of my tanks, so I'm up for any type that will grow large enough that they won't become food for the balas as they get bigger.
Canadian Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:54 AM   #55
 
50galkid's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Fish View Post
We're really leaning towards building the community around the balas. We saw 2 at our LFS that had grown to 8 or 9 inches and they were really cool. Someone had brought them in. They also had a bunch that were around 3" and that is what we'd like to start with. I'd like a school of 5, if I have room. I'm not sure what type of barbs and loaches I want to keep with them.

I already have a school of zebra loaches in a 55, and I plan on putting some yoyos in my other 55, so I want a different type in the 125. I don't have any barbs in any of my tanks, so I'm up for any type that will grow large enough that they won't become food for the balas as they get bigger.
what a "Co-ink-ki-dink" that you wan't barbs that will grow large so the balas won't eat them. there is a common barb that grows huge its the tinfoil barb those things can get to the size of some large cichlids but they are peacefull and need a school. hopefully your LFS has some i know mine does
50galkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:56 AM   #56
 
Canadian Fish's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50galkid View Post
what a "Co-ink-ki-dink" that you wan't barbs that will grow large so the balas won't eat them. there is a common barb that grows huge its the tinfoil barb those things can get to the size of some large cichlids but they are peacefull and need a school. hopefully your LFS has some i know mine does
Yeah, my LFS does sell them, however they get so large that I don't think I could keep 5 balas AND the tinfoil barbs. I could keep maybe 3 of each, but I think the balas prefer to be in groups of 5 or more. I probably need a slightly smaller barb.
Canadian Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:06 AM   #57
 
50galkid's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Fish View Post
Yeah, my LFS does sell them, however they get so large that I don't think I could keep 5 balas AND the tinfoil barbs. I could keep maybe 3 of each, but I think the balas prefer to be in groups of 5 or more. I probably need a slightly smaller barb.
these barbs are smaller but they do great in schools of 9 and don't bother or get bothered by balas

H-barbs are great because they are as small as a tiger barb 4" and in a school they may look threatining but they are peaceful but these barbs are rare

Tiger barbs are h-barbs but with stripes instead of an "H" so they could drive away a bala if the bala attacks

Green tiger barbs (whats with all the tiger barbs) are the same but have bright green scales and I have had them with my bala's for over a year now and the ballas and green tiger barbs never fight.
Canadian Fish likes this.
50galkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:33 AM   #58
 
Canadian Fish's Avatar
 
Well, I still don't have the aquarium home. I've paid $1000 on it, basically just the tax left to pay. It's camping season now though, and our winters suck so we have to take advantage when the weather is nice. Our money is going to be going towards that for the next month or so. We went camping last week and we're going again later this week.

While we were away, our second 55 gallon tank FINALLY finished cycling. As did our goldfish tank, which I thought was never going to happen. We've added some decorations to the 55, and a bubble blower. Looks much better now. Also added some serpae tetras in with the mollies in the 55, and added some golden apple snails in my 35 with the ryukin goldfish.

Here is a photo and short vid of the 55, and of my original 20, which we added some tiny harlequin rasboras to, not long ago.

My Rainbow tank is unchanged so I did not include it.


If you check out my other vids, you can see my other tanks. There are also some of our recent camping trip, and other shenanigans.



I should have the 125 gallon tank by the end of next month, but the weather is so nice here, it's not a priority right now.
Canadian Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:36 AM   #59
 
Termato's Avatar
 
Are you planning on going with a more natural look for this big tank?
Termato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:53 AM   #60
 
Canadian Fish's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Termato View Post
Are you planning on going with a more natural look for this big tank?
Yeah, black substrate, driftwood, live plants (java fern, anubias, maybe some java moss)

Similar to the way they have it set up in the store, I think.

It will be my first time with live plants.
Jodie Wan Kanoby likes this.
Canadian Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What's your community aquarium? What you have now, what you plan to do, your dream 1 Akeath Freshwater and Tropical Fish 18 01-14-2013 10:09 PM
We Can All Dream, Right? bigfish93 Beginner Saltwater Aquariums 7 12-29-2012 10:53 AM
A Dream seastar120 Beginner Saltwater Aquariums 5 01-24-2008 11:03 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:59 PM.