On my way to getting my dream aquarium... - Page 2
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » On my way to getting my dream aquarium...

On my way to getting my dream aquarium...

This is a discussion on On my way to getting my dream aquarium... within the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> Originally Posted by Canadian Fish I just finished reading about Java Fern, and it sounds like a great way to try live plants for ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Adolfo's Cory
Adolfo's Cory
Lemon Tetra
Lemon Tetra
View Poll Results: If I had a 220 Gallon Aquarium, I would stock....
Cichlids. Duh. 34 30.36%
It would be Saltwater. That's how I roll. 11 9.82%
Bala Sharks 14 12.50%
Tinfoil Barbs 6 5.36%
1 Male Betta 6 5.36%
100 Neon Tetras 23 20.54%
Rainbowfish 13 11.61%
Goldfish 4 3.57%
Other - Please elaborate in a comment in the thread. 22 19.64%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree419Likes

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
On my way to getting my dream aquarium...
Old 05-09-2012, 07:07 PM   #11
 
CinBos's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Fish View Post
I just finished reading about Java Fern, and it sounds like a great way to try live plants for the first time. My LFS carries a bunch of plants, i'll have to check next time I'm in and see if the Java Fern is one of them.
Anubias, Java Fern, and theres another (one that taste bad to fish), but I can't remember the name of it. All are fairly easy to keep maintained.
CinBos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CinBos For This Useful Post:
Canadian Fish (05-11-2012)
Old 05-09-2012, 07:22 PM   #12
 
Canadian Fish's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinBos View Post
I would say go with cichlids. If large, go Central American or South American,. If smaller go with Africans =, Dwarf Cichlids, or even Rams. Whatever you choose, have fun with it. Can wait to see the whole process unfold, it was exciting for me to just get mine up and running, and now I'm beginning to add all the fish I truly want in it!
I was thinking about cichlids once before, and my LFS said my city has soft water, and the PH and softness make it best for South American Cichlids. HOWEVER, they mostly stock African Cichlids, due to a greater demand, despite water conditions. Is it difficult to raise the PH and hardness in water to accommodate African cichlids? That's something I'll have to research more while I am waiting for the tank. There certainly are some colorful, interesting cichlids, though I've had a hard time finding ones that can live together.

I looked at that other plant you mentioned, and they both look promising. They both state "low light", I'm not sure what the brightness or intensity of the bulb that comes with my tank is. Something else to research.

I have a friend with a 150 gallon aquarium who runs 2 x aquaclear 110 HOB filters. Would I be better off doing that, or getting a canister filter? Is there a brand of canister filter that is reliable but not prohibitively expensive?

Thanks everyone for the info.
Canadian Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:23 PM   #13
 
I would skip the Bala sharks unless you really want them. If you do plan the tank around them. The loaches and barbs should get along good together. I'm not sure about the larger species like Tinfoil barb but smaller barbs like tiger barbs and Cherry barbs really need plants to feel happy.

Dont skimp on the equipment like heaters, filter and lights either. Get good stuff and do it right from the begining. I really wish I had understood how much easier this would have made my life before getting all my tanks and then trying to upgrade equipment.

Get a canister filter. It is so much better then HOB.
ladayen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:27 PM   #14
 
Jayy's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladayen View Post
I would skip the Bala sharks unless you really want them. If you do plan the tank around them. The loaches and barbs should get along good together. I'm not sure about the larger species like Tinfoil barb but smaller barbs like tiger barbs and Cherry barbs really need plants to feel happy.

Dont skimp on the equipment like heaters, filter and lights either. Get good stuff and do it right from the begining. I really wish I had understood how much easier this would have made my life before getting all my tanks and then trying to upgrade equipment.

Get a canister filter. It is so much better then HOB.
I agree, when it comes to equipment get very BEST you can afford, don't cheap out. It'll save alot money in the long run. I'm saving to get an canister filter I want the very best I for my tank.
Jayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:28 PM   #15
 
Canadian Fish's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladayen View Post
I would skip the Bala sharks unless you really want them. If you do plan the tank around them. The loaches and barbs should get along good together. I'm not sure about the larger species like Tinfoil barb but smaller barbs like tiger barbs and Cherry barbs really need plants to feel happy.

Dont skimp on the equipment like heaters, filter and lights either. Get good stuff and do it right from the begining. I really wish I had understood how much easier this would have made my life before getting all my tanks and then trying to upgrade equipment.

Get a canister filter. It is so much better then HOB.
Should a tank this size have two heaters? The tank is going in my basement, and I live in Canada, so I really need a reliable heat source. Gets chilly down there in the winter.

I was thinking tiger barbs and rosy barbs for companions if I went with the balas. Possibly polkadot loaches as well, and 1 common pleco.

Edit: Just looking at the profile for the common pleco here and it sounds like maybe I should go with a smaller pleco. I have a bristlenose pleco in my 20 gallon and in one of my 55 gallon tanks. I'll see if there's a species of pleco that grows larger than the bristlenose but smaller than the common pleco.

Last edited by Canadian Fish; 05-09-2012 at 07:31 PM..
Canadian Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:31 PM   #16
 
Jayy's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Fish View Post
Should a tank this size have two heaters? The tank is going in my basement, and I live in Canada, so I really need a reliable heat source. Gets chilly down there in the winter.

I was thinking tiger barbs and rosy barbs for companions if I went with the balas. Possibly polkadot loaches as well, and 1 common pleco.
As the filter I think two or one VERY good one should do. But what I really noticed is that you plan on keeping Rosy Barb, they prefer much cooler water(64-72) than the other you want to keep.
Jayy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jayy For This Useful Post:
Canadian Fish (05-12-2012)
Old 05-09-2012, 07:37 PM   #17
 
Canadian Fish's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayy View Post
As the filter I think two or one VERY good one should do. But what I really noticed is that you plan on keeping Rosy Barb, they prefer much cooler water(64-72) than the other you want to keep.
That's what I get for trusting aqadvisor. It didn't catch the temperature incompatibility. Thanks for the heads up. What would an example of a VERY good filter that would be adequate on its own? I've only owned HOB filters, and only aquaclears and tetras, so I am completely unfamiliar with the canister filter brands and capacities.

My 55 gallon tanks were easy, just slap a couple of aquaclear 70s on the back of each, and my tanks have always been clean and clear, with no ammonia or nitrite problems.
Canadian Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:50 PM   #18
 
Jayy's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Fish View Post
That's what I get for trusting aqadvisor. It didn't catch the temperature incompatibility. Thanks for the heads up. What would an example of a VERY good filter that would be adequate on its own? I've only owned HOB filters, and only aquaclears and tetras, so I am completely unfamiliar with the canister filter brands and capacities.

My 55 gallon tanks were easy, just slap a couple of aquaclear 70s on the back of each, and my tanks have always been clean and clear, with no ammonia or nitrite problems.
Fluval and EHEIM, are two brands. There's others, but those came off the top of my head. Be prepared though, they are pricey.
Jayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:56 PM   #19
 
Canadian Fish's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayy View Post
Fluval and EHEIM, are two brands. There's others, but those came off the top of my head. Be prepared though, they are pricey.
I was looking at the EHEIMs yesterday and it looks like I'd be paying minimum $250 CAD before tax, probably closer to $300.

Comparatively, Aquaclear 110s are $100 so it's be $200 for 2. However, after spending all this money on a tank and stand, I'm not gonna go inferior just to save a $100.

I'm also FINALLY going to get a 50 foot python. Up until now I've used buckets for my weekly water changes. My wife helps and we use 4 buckets at once. It sucks. I saw a picture on the python packaging at my LFS and there's a cartoon of a schmuck filling his tank with buckets and it looks exactly like me when I do it.
Canadian Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:01 PM   #20
 
Jayy's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Fish View Post
I was looking at the EHEIMs yesterday and it looks like I'd be paying minimum $250 CAD before tax, probably closer to $300.

Comparatively, Aquaclear 110s are $100 so it's be $200 for 2. However, after spending all this money on a tank and stand, I'm not gonna go inferior just to save a $100.

I'm also FINALLY going to get a 50 foot python. Up until now I've used buckets for my weekly water changes. My wife helps and we use 4 buckets at once. It sucks. I saw a picture on the python packaging at my LFS and there's a cartoon of a schmuck filling his tank with buckets and it looks exactly like me when I do it.
A python's also on my list on things to get. I'm soooooooo tired of using my mom's crab pot, lol I'm pretty sure she is too. Plus I don't enjoy starting to vac and getting a mouthful of fish water.
Jodie Wan Kanoby likes this.
Jayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What's your community aquarium? What you have now, what you plan to do, your dream 1 Akeath Freshwater and Tropical Fish 18 01-14-2013 11:09 PM
We Can All Dream, Right? bigfish93 Beginner Saltwater Aquariums 7 12-29-2012 11:53 AM
A Dream seastar120 Beginner Saltwater Aquariums 5 01-24-2008 12:03 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:24 PM.