My new (and first) tank-hints tips etc - Page 7
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » My new (and first) tank-hints tips etc

My new (and first) tank-hints tips etc

This is a discussion on My new (and first) tank-hints tips etc within the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> Ok, so ignore the fish, this is the best picture of my substrate I have on my phone (I'm at work) and as usual ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Bristlenose Pleco
Bristlenose Pleco
Spotfin Cory
Spotfin Cory
Like Tree17Likes

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
My new (and first) tank-hints tips etc
Old 12-21-2012, 06:06 AM   #61
 
Nilet699's Avatar
 
Ok, so ignore the fish, this is the best picture of my substrate I have on my phone (I'm at work) and as usual have a wandering mind.

I'm definitely wanting time add a bristlenose pleco or 2 to my tank not too far down the line. So I'm wondering if the substrate should be changed to suit them. I'd quite happily change it out for dark sand if this was best as when I bought the substrate I just picked a pretty one. Haha.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20121203_180338.jpg (81.6 KB, 42 views)
Nilet699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:41 AM   #62
 
Byron's Avatar
 
From the photo I can't tell if that gravel may be a bit rough, but that would be my concern. Soft-belly fish like the pleco can scrape themselves on gravel and rough rock, causing infections, which is why sand is preferred.

Loaches and corys would certainly be better over sand, if any of these may be down the road.

It is best to change a substrate at the beginning; once plants and fish become established this is more of a disruption to the system. There are a couple threads going presently about sand, and play sand is a common substrate for many of us. Check those out, or post questions here.

Byron.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:50 AM   #63
 
Sookielee's Avatar
 
The substrate you have pictured look very much like the stuff that came with the tank a friend gave me. If it is, it is very rough. I removed it from the tank yesterday and actually felt like I got a few scrapes.
Sookielee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:52 AM   #64
 
Nilet699's Avatar
 
Ok, well I think now, though the plants and fish, 6 tetras are in may be the time to do it then. I was thinking black sand then really, or a very dark one at least. I have read the sand threads and tbh don't really know the difference between the sands, though I gather play sand goes in a kids sandbox? But wanting black I presume my local maidenhead aquatics is probably the answer.

2 questions I have then, if I get black aquatic sand, is that all I need for the substrate? And secondly how do you clean it? What is considered clean? And lastly, would the 6 tetras be ok with 2 eon blue dwarf gouramis in a 54 ltr tank for an evening whilst I se this up?

Not 2 questions at all that was it. Sorry!
Nilet699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:52 AM   #65
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilet699 View Post
Ok, well I think now, though the plants and fish, 6 tetras are in may be the time to do it then. I was thinking black sand then really, or a very dark one at least. I have read the sand threads and tbh don't really know the difference between the sands, though I gather play sand goes in a kids sandbox? But wanting black I presume my local maidenhead aquatics is probably the answer.

2 questions I have then, if I get black aquatic sand, is that all I need for the substrate? And secondly how do you clean it? What is considered clean? And lastly, would the 6 tetras be ok with 2 eon blue dwarf gouramis in a 54 ltr tank for an evening whilst I se this up?

Not 2 questions at all that was it. Sorry!
Yes, sand is all you need for the substrate. You want about 2 inches depth overall. I know many like black substrates, but I have one and it shows the detritus the worst. A sand that is comprised of several colours will make the detritus less obvious. One reason I use play sand, second being its natural appearance, third its smoothness, fourth it is the least expensive.

As for cleaning, with substrate-rooted plants you rarely need to. During the water change you can run the siphon over the substrate to pick up loose matter; some tanks I do this, some I never do. With substrate-rooted plants you don't need to go poking or stirring the sand. I explain why in my article on bacteria.

The tetra will be fine with the gourami while you change this over. Do it early in the morning [say, an hour after tank lights come on], set aside the day so you are not rushed.

Byron.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:18 PM   #66
 
Nilet699's Avatar
 
Well, I took a small sample of my substrate to my lfs where I have a friend who works and he said what I have is more than fine for the bristlenose and loaches. The loaches I was thinking of getting, though not fully researched yet are polkadot loaches (or for you Byron, I know you love the scientific name.....botia kubotai )


My newest issue as god knows I love them..... my new, read finally waterlogged, driftwood has developed a nice white slime. I Think this is normal, and if I'm right it's bacteria having a pop at the nutrients left in it??? There is also a Very small stream of super small bubbles coming from it.
Nilet699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:29 PM   #67
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilet699 View Post
My newest issue as god knows I love them..... my new, read finally waterlogged, driftwood has developed a nice white slime. I Think this is normal, and if I'm right it's bacteria having a pop at the nutrients left in it??? There is also a Very small stream of super small bubbles coming from it.
Bubbles are just escaping air, not a problem. The slime may or may not be trouble; it is likely fungus. I had this on a branch and it nearly killed my fish, and I know others who have lost fish. Some fungus is safe, some is highly toxic. What type of wood? The toxic fungus is common on grapewood, manzanita and possibly mopani. I have never heard of it on Malaysian Driftwood.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:35 PM   #68
 
Nilet699's Avatar
 
I have absolutely no idea what wood it is. It was in a differentdry display tank when I bought my tank and I cheekily asked if I could have it, didn't think then to ask what it was. IWork wasn't cheap though! I can throw you a picture of the wood and the slime on it if you think it would help?
Nilet699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:43 PM   #69
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilet699 View Post
I have absolutely no idea what wood it is. It was in a differentdry display tank when I bought my tank and I cheekily asked if I could have it, didn't think then to ask what it was. IWork wasn't cheap though! I can throw you a picture of the wood and the slime on it if you think it would help?
Yes.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:47 PM   #70
 
Nilet699's Avatar
 
Ok, wood pic was easy, the one of the 'slime' was a bit harder as had to zoom quite a bit and taking the wood out isn't an option at Will due to its size and awkwardness at doing so, and no doubt stress caused. Hope these help though.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20121219_221553.jpg (85.9 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 20121221_224205.jpg (63.1 KB, 16 views)
Nilet699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hints for catching fish? Inga Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 15 08-15-2010 07:00 PM
First time fish owner, can I get some hints? Esperanza Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 2 02-26-2010 02:49 PM
Tips for new tank Monsterpony Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 7 02-24-2008 08:51 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:36 AM.