my fish keep dying HELP - Page 4
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » my fish keep dying HELP

my fish keep dying HELP

This is a discussion on my fish keep dying HELP within the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> This is certainly one possibility. Another is that nitrates occur in his tap water, hence our suggestions for the tap to be tested for ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Black Phantom Tetra
Black Phantom Tetra
Altum Angelfish
Altum Angelfish
Like Tree41Likes

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
my fish keep dying HELP
Old 12-11-2012, 05:44 PM   #31
 
Byron's Avatar
 
This is certainly one possibility. Another is that nitrates occur in his tap water, hence our suggestions for the tap to be tested for all 3. We need to cover all the possibles in order to eliminate the irrelevant and find the culprit.
Byron is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Byron For This Useful Post:
Sqbear46 (12-11-2012)
Old 12-11-2012, 11:35 PM   #32
 
ok so i know how to check the tap water and everything was at the levels it needs to be 0 amonia 0 nitrites and 0 nitrates. i have had a reading of 7.8 ph.. on tap water.. i dont use plants because whenever i do my fish die. ever since i started so i refuse to use them... i didnt use old filter media i used the gross filter water and soaked the new media in the old filter water.. (i had a 60 gallon canaster filter i got the water from..) and the complete list of fish i have is
3 albino tiger barbs
2 tiger barbs
4 angel fish
1 pleco
6-8 zebra danios(they move to quickly to keep track)
7-8 white cloud
1 black tetra
1 cherry barb

in a 50 gallon long tank
i did that water change and added the prime and now my levels are good except for ammonia so i used atm outbreak. and then added an ammonia detoxifier and i have always been told if the nitrates are 40ppm and above they are safe (depending on the fish, and my fish like 40ppm and above.)

so please let me know im just worried about the ammonia....
Spidykat is offline  
Old 12-11-2012, 11:42 PM   #33
 
and i never added ick medicine i added aquarium salt it cures ick.
Spidykat is offline  
Old 12-12-2012, 12:05 AM   #34
 
marshallsea's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidykat View Post
and i never added ick medicine i added aquarium salt it cures ick.
Aquarium salt is very dangerous for your pleco.
marshallsea is offline  
Old 12-12-2012, 12:11 AM   #35
 
ive never been told that before and i was advised by proffesional people to use that for all of the fish because its a herbal remedy.. the pleco has survived worse... lol
Spidykat is offline  
Old 12-12-2012, 12:11 AM   #36
 
marshallsea's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidykat View Post
ok so i know how to check the tap water and everything was at the levels it needs to be 0 amonia 0 nitrites and 0 nitrates. i have had a reading of 7.8 ph.. on tap water.. i dont use plants because whenever i do my fish die. ever since i started so i refuse to use them... i didnt use old filter media i used the gross filter water and soaked the new media in the old filter water.. (i had a 60 gallon canaster filter i got the water from..) and the complete list of fish i have is
3 albino tiger barbs
2 tiger barbs
4 angel fish
1 pleco
6-8 zebra danios(they move to quickly to keep track)
7-8 white cloud
1 black tetra
1 cherry barb

in a 50 gallon long tank
i did that water change and added the prime and now my levels are good except for ammonia so i used atm outbreak. and then added an ammonia detoxifier and i have always been told if the nitrates are 40ppm and above they are safe (depending on the fish, and my fish like 40ppm and above.)

so please let me know im just worried about the ammonia....
Prime detoxifies ammonia for 24-36 hours but gives a false ammonia reading. Use prime daily with water changes until your tank is cycled and it will help your fish with the ammonia. Nitrates at 40ppm is at toxic levels and very bad for fish. 15ppm and lower is considered safe. Stop adding things like Outbreak to your tank. These seldom work and are bad for your fish. There are much better ways to solve your problems, like those mentioned on this thread.

Last edited by marshallsea; 12-12-2012 at 12:30 AM..
marshallsea is offline  
Old 12-12-2012, 12:12 AM   #37
 
Found this article on high ammonia levels, here's the link
Handling High Ammonia Levels

This is pretty informative, I think. I have heard several times that salt can kill the beneficial bacteria in the filter, but have yet to confirm this. If the salt does do this, it's possible when you treated for ich, that is what happened. Especially if you treated for ich very soon after the tank was set up and it had not had the chance to get cycled.

Your nitrates (the ending result of the cycle) are dangerous to your fish over 40, so 20-40 is ok, but to strive for 0-20 is even better. Anything over 40 is a definite cause for concern and must be resolved soon before they get higher.

Hope this helps some. My goodness you are up late :) It's midnight here in Nashville, TN not sure where you are but hope you can get some sleep and not worry too much. You are doing everything you can, we all have to go through these steps, but you've had fish tanks before, you can do this!!
Spidykat likes this.

Last edited by lakemalawifish; 12-12-2012 at 12:13 AM.. Reason: Posted twice
lakemalawifish is offline  
Old 12-12-2012, 12:13 AM   #38
 
marshallsea's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidykat View Post
ive never been told that before and i was advised by proffesional people to use that for all of the fish because its a herbal remedy.. the pleco has survived worse... lol
Not true at all, salt and catfish of any kind don't go together. Salt is not an herb.
marshallsea is offline  
Old 12-12-2012, 12:29 AM   #39
 
Canadian Fish's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidykat View Post
i dont use plants because whenever i do my fish die. ever since i started so i refuse to use them... i didnt use old filter media i used the gross filter water and soaked the new media in the old filter water..
Something killed your fish before, but I doubt it was the plants. That was a coincidence I'm sure. There's a reason everyone here is suggesting plants. It's not because we're plant salesmen.

One reason you may be cycling again is because you only used old water, and not old media. The good bacteria is in the media.

As for this

Quote:
and my fish like 40ppm and above
No fish "like" or prefer 40 ppm and above. Less is always better, for all freshwater fish, I assume. I try to keep mine around 5. 40 and higher would be harmful to your fish, in my opinion.
Canadian Fish is offline  
Old 12-12-2012, 12:46 AM   #40
 
marshallsea's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidykat View Post
ive never been told that before and i was advised by proffesional people to use that for all of the fish because its a herbal remedy.. the pleco has survived worse... lol
Ok. I'll be the one to say it. Who ever you get your professional advice from is as responsible for your fish's death as the ammonia in your tank. Please stop listening to them. I'm sorry for being so blunt.
Romad and bubbles1 like this.
marshallsea is offline  
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fish are dying!!! nala Beginner Saltwater Aquariums 3 04-20-2012 06:19 PM
All of my fish are dying... austin77dc Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 3 06-01-2009 08:44 AM
Please help. My fish are dying Steffiweff Tropical Fish Diseases 16 06-12-2007 07:28 AM
Dying fish goldfishgill Tropical Fish Diseases 2 05-13-2007 03:36 PM
All my fish are dying! Maybekatie87 Tropical Fish Diseases 12 03-01-2007 08:13 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:13 PM.