Is my 55 overstocked - Page 2
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » Is my 55 overstocked

Is my 55 overstocked

This is a discussion on Is my 55 overstocked within the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> GBRs are warm water fish with a temp range from 78-85. Doesn't mean they can't be kept in cooler water, but I would not ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Ember Tetra
Ember Tetra
Siamese Fighting Fish
Siamese Fighting Fish
Like Tree1Likes

Reply
Old 03-14-2013, 11:07 PM   #11
 
jaysee's Avatar
 
GBRs are warm water fish with a temp range from 78-85. Doesn't mean they can't be kept in cooler water, but I would not say that they prefer 76-78. In my experience they do better in the low 80s.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:15 PM   #12
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysee View Post
GBRs are warm water fish with a temp range from 78-85. Doesn't mean they can't be kept in cooler water, but I would not say that they prefer 76-78. In my experience they do better in the low 80s.
Okay thanks. Let's get back to the main question here. Do you think I would be okay stocking wise. I know someone already answered I just like multiple opinions.
calfishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:31 PM   #13
 
jaysee's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by calfishguy View Post
Okay thanks. Let's get back to the main question here. Do you think I would be okay stocking wise. I know someone already answered I just like multiple opinions.
From a bioload perspective, as long as you have the filtration and stay up on your maintenance, it will be fine. From a compatibility perspective, your stocking is not one that I would ever attempt, so I cannot speak to that. I'm glad it works for you, but in my experience things "work" till they don't. Sometimes things break down sooner, sometimes later. Sometimes it's obvious, sometimes it's very subtle. Stress manifests itself in different ways.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:41 PM   #14
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysee View Post
From a bioload perspective, as long as you have the filtration and stay up on your maintenance, it will be fine. From a compatibility perspective, your stocking is not one that I would ever attempt, so I cannot speak to that. I'm glad it works for you, but in my experience things "work" till they don't. Sometimes things break down sooner, sometimes later. Sometimes it's obvious, sometimes it's very subtle. Stress manifests itself in different ways.
What compatibility issues are you concerned about.
calfishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:47 PM   #15
 
man that list makes my 55 seem empty!
rexpepper651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:03 AM   #16
 
jaysee's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by calfishguy View Post
What compatibility issues are you concerned about.
I've tried multiple dwarf gouramis and it ended badly. I've also seen lots of people try it and have refrained from saying "I told you so" more times than I can count. Add to that a ctenopoma. I know the two I've had were pretty aggressive once they grew up - the first so much so that I gave it away and started over with a new one. The second is aggressive too, but not as nasty as the first.. They get pretty big but are sold VERY small - I don't know how big yours is, but, it's not uncommon for the dynamics of a tank to change once fish grow and reach maturity.

Like I said, if its working for you, terrific. I've just seen things not work out enough times to not to take that risk. Stress can be a silent killer.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:20 AM   #17
BWG
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by calfishguy View Post
What compatibility issues are you concerned about.
Rainbowfish kept either singularly or in shoals that are too small, active fish with sedate fish, fish from soft acidic waters mixed with fish from hard alkaline water.
ZivaD likes this.
BWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:01 AM   #18
 
I've the dwarf gourami's for over a year and a half and happily they are getting along quite well IMO. The actually fallow each other around quite a bit. For the ctenopoma I'm afraid that you're right and in the future he may be an issue. (Sadly he was more of an impulse buy than anything else) I think that if I do go ahead with this in the future and it doesn't work I would most likely give him to my lfs. IME different species of rainbowfish tend to school together so hopefully that is what will happen. I've had my active rainbows with my calm dwarf gourami's for a while and they kinda just do their own thing. The rainbows tend to swim in the front and the gourami's tend to stick to the middle or back of the tank. As for the ph do you guys really change it. All I've read in other forums is that it is way better to have a stable ph than a unstable ph that is modifed with chemicals to try to suit your fish.

Thanks a lot guys I appreciate your help.
Posted via Mobile Device
calfishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:36 AM   #19
 
jaysee's Avatar
 
Like I said, I'm glad the DGs are working for you. My friend had 2 in her 55 and one wound up dead this week. She doesn't think it was the other DG - doesn't know why it died. Just another example, though admittedly there is no direct correlation. There often isn't. As long as you are aware of the risks, is my point.

I have had rainbows with pearl gouramis for a while - its not been a problem for me. Doesn't mean it won't be for the next person, but that's my experience on the matter.

Yes rainbows of different species within the same genus will school together. But they also segregate themselves. I've got a school of 4 species - 3 melanotaenias and irian reds. The reds do their own thing. The yellows, turquoise and boesmani school together sometimes, and form 3 separate schools the rest of the time. When I had the 3 in a 90 gallon tank the schooled together much more frequently, but in the 125 it's much rarer. In my experience a larger tank discourages the schooling of multiple species. Your lone rainbow should stick with the boesmanis in a 55. Though I will say, in my opinion they will get too big for the tank.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:07 PM   #20
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysee View Post
Like I said, I'm glad the DGs are working for you. My friend had 2 in her 55 and one wound up dead this week. She doesn't think it was the other DG - doesn't know why it died. Just another example, though admittedly there is no direct correlation. There often isn't. As long as you are aware of the risks, is my point.

I have had rainbows with pearl gouramis for a while - its not been a problem for me. Doesn't mean it won't be for the next person, but that's my experience on the matter.

Yes rainbows of different species within the same genus will school together. But they also segregate themselves. I've got a school of 4 species - 3 melanotaenias and irian reds. The reds do their own thing. The yellows, turquoise and boesmani school together sometimes, and form 3 separate schools the rest of the time. When I had the 3 in a 90 gallon tank the schooled together much more frequently, but in the 125 it's much rarer. In my experience a larger tank discourages the schooling of multiple species. Your lone rainbow should stick with the boesmanis in a 55. Though I will say, in my opinion they will get too big for the tank.
Would any of you guys attempt this stock or a slightly modified version of this stock.
calfishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
overstocked ????? tommaso889 Freshwater and Tropical Fish 28 01-14-2010 06:45 AM
Overstocked 30 gal? stephanieleah Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 8 12-06-2009 12:00 AM
Am I Overstocked? Hawkian Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 1 12-01-2009 07:16 PM
Overstocked ? selvan777 Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 47 11-20-2009 04:29 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:21 AM.