09-13-2011, 12:42 PM
| || |
Originally Posted by Boredomb
I found out today that my cities tap water will have some counts of mercury it it. The lvls are suppose to be in the safe zone but will be okay for my fish. I am asking cause I just did a water change without knowing this information.
Can you find the number for the mercury? Mercury is toxic because it binds to the sulphydryl groups of organic molecules found on all proteins, which inactivates the proteins and their cellular function. [This comes from Diana Walstad, a microbiologist.] Diana doesn't give specific numbers, but does mention that in tests, a level of <0.00026 of mercury affected the growth of juvenile minnows. I know from my previous government work that mercury that used to be used in some mining operations will kill the fish in streams. I would expect that the levels in public drinking water would be well below anything that could cause problems, given its nature of binding essential proteins.