After a 40 year absence from having an aquarium, my college son has, indirectly
, re-introduced me to the hobby
! Unfortunately, I am sure a lot has changed! So please bear with me during this initial inquiry!
Aquarium set-up (you can also see on "Pabearpa20gal" aquarium tag - I hope to add a pic later):
20 gal freshwater (salt added - see inhabitants below);
bio-filter / full hood / rock / 2 live plants / 2 artificial plants / cave / castle / flake food / frozen brine shrimp;
1 - black - sailfin (orange border on fin) - male;
1 - silver - lyretail - female (acquired pregnant from store - 14 fry in breeder pen);
1 - fire orange - male;
1 - "marbled" grayish / orange - sailfin - male (if platy's don't come in sailfin's then it must be a molly?)
- Neon tetras:
6 - 3 male / 3 female;
- Fantail guppy's:
3 - 1 male / 2 female;
- 2 Corydoras.
1. Are all Molly's compatible? Why? The female silver lyretail continually chases and "nips" at the black male and he try's at all possible to keep away from her to the extent where he gets exhausted and lays on the bottom at times. She does not bother the other fish; in fact, I have seen the "platy" become "anamorous" with her (may help answer my question above?)
2. What plants are great hideouts for fry?
3. Are attachable "v- bottom birthing units" advisable?
4. Ideas on how to sell the newborns? At what size is advisable?
5. Given we have a male dominated tank, is it big enough to support adding some females?
6. Any other advice / suggestions given the above layout, etc.?
Thank you for your time and patience!