Mixing Carib-Sea Crushed Coral and Eco-complete White Sand in Cichlid Tank - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 04-26-2013, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Talking Mixing Carib-Sea Crushed Coral and Eco-complete White Sand in Cichlid Tank

Thinking of doing this at a 50 \ 50 mix for my African Cichlid tank. Do you think this is a good plan for buffering the water and getting away from chemicals?

Marine Land 46 gal. Bow front
2 Marine Land C220 Canister Filters
LED Lighting
African Cichlids
FishLover61 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 Old 04-26-2013, 07:54 PM
Member
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Using a calcareous substrate is definitely much, much better, safer and less expensive that resorting to chemicals to adjust water parameters. And the chemicals may not work anyway, for various reasons.

As to the substrate, rather than mixing these, consider one on its own, and for this with rift lake cichlids I would vote for something like CarribSea's Eco Complete Rift Lake Chichlid Substrate:
Eco-Complete Cichild

Pure white substrates are somewhat stressful on fish, plus they add an unnatural brightness to the substrate which makes viewing troublesome, at least for me. The substrate in any fish tank is going to be more natural if it is not obvious. The above product seems, from the photos, to be natural. And it is calcareous.

Crushed coral on its own, in a sand grade, is similar but it only adds the calcium; magnesium is still missing. An aragonite sand would have both. As does the linked substrate.

Try to see these "live" if you can before deciding, but if this is not possible, use the photos. There may be a cost difference between them.

Byron.

Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
Vancouver, BC, Canada

The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian. [unknown source]

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]
Byron is offline  
post #3 of 6 Old 04-29-2013, 05:43 AM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Decided to go with just using Eco Complete for Cichlids but I have two questions:

1)- I purchased the 'Ivory Coast' mix because it matches the color of the gravel I already have in the tank thinking I'd just put the Eco-Complete over the top of my existing gravel. Is this a good idea?

2) - When I do put the new substrate in, the directions say 'do not rinse' but I've read somewhere here that people do rinse it before adding. Which should I do? Keep in mind that my tank is stocked and doing well.

Thanks

Marine Land 46 gal. Bow front
2 Marine Land C220 Canister Filters
LED Lighting
African Cichlids
FishLover61 is offline  
post #4 of 6 Old 04-29-2013, 11:53 AM
Member
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishLover61 View Post
Decided to go with just using Eco Complete for Cichlids but I have two questions:

1)- I purchased the 'Ivory Coast' mix because it matches the color of the gravel I already have in the tank thinking I'd just put the Eco-Complete over the top of my existing gravel. Is this a good idea?

2) - When I do put the new substrate in, the directions say 'do not rinse' but I've read somewhere here that people do rinse it before adding. Which should I do? Keep in mind that my tank is stocked and doing well.

Thanks
I would rinse it but lightly, just to remove the dust. CarribSea always say not to wash their gravels, presumably as one might, if carried to excess, rinse off some of the "benefit," but as quick rinse is not going to do this.

As for mixing substrates, remember than the finer will sink to the bottom, with the larger-particle on top. You mention they are the same colour, but if there is any difference in shade or texture it will be obvious they are different.

Byron.

Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
Vancouver, BC, Canada

The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian. [unknown source]

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]
Byron is offline  
post #5 of 6 Old 04-29-2013, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
I would rinse it but lightly, just to remove the dust. CarribSea always say not to wash their gravels, presumably as one might, if carried to excess, rinse off some of the "benefit," but as quick rinse is not going to do this.

As for mixing substrates, remember than the finer will sink to the bottom, with the larger-particle on top. You mention they are the same colour, but if there is any difference in shade or texture it will be obvious they are different.

Byron.

Thanks for the advice. One more question: I assume it's okay to put in new substrate with fish in the tank. Is this correct?

Marine Land 46 gal. Bow front
2 Marine Land C220 Canister Filters
LED Lighting
African Cichlids
FishLover61 is offline  
post #6 of 6 Old 04-29-2013, 03:50 PM
Member
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishLover61 View Post
Thanks for the advice. One more question: I assume it's okay to put in new substrate with fish in the tank. Is this correct?
If you are just adding new to what is already there, it should not be a problem. If you are removing all of what is there and replacing it, this can be done but with a bit more care.

Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
Vancouver, BC, Canada

The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian. [unknown source]

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]
Byron is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
can i replace crushed coral with non live sand in my cycled tank?? amber6292 Beginner Saltwater Aquariums 1 01-31-2011 05:00 PM
sand or crushed coral? mac6539 Beginner Saltwater Aquariums 6 08-28-2010 02:21 PM
Crushed Coral vs Live Sand MonsiuerPercy1 Beginner Saltwater Aquariums 9 09-12-2009 05:36 PM
Would Eco-Complete African Cichlid Sand... bf2king Freshwater Aquarium Equipment 17 02-26-2008 01:17 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome