Mid-sized Peaceful Fish - Page 2 - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 Old 04-09-2011, 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
Yes, corys and indeed most catfish (being nocturnal) are exceptional at getting eggs or fry. I have dwarf cichlids in 2 tanks that regularly spawn, but rarely do the eggs survive to hatch, and if they do the fry get eaten the next day. I have seen a trio of corys come upon a Ram shepherding her fry around mid-water in front of a standing chunk of wood, and the feeding frenzy was remarkable. She tried, but within a few seconds, saw it was hopeless and gave up.
I guess its a good thing that when I took home 6 guppy fry from petsmart last night that I put them in a net breeder!! I was concerned my mollies would eat them, didnt think about the cories! Yeah, cories are relentless when they want something.

(Anything special for breeding albino cories? I know I have 2-3 females, and at least one male. I dont think I would intentionally breed them, but it would be nice to know what conditions are prime for them. Sorry, dont want to hijack this thread.)

*They call me, Amanda*
Tank 1: (29 gal planted) empty
Tank 2: (15 gal) empty
LasColinasCichlids is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 15 Old 04-09-2011, 02:26 PM
Member
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LasColinasCichlids View Post
I guess its a good thing that when I took home 6 guppy fry from petsmart last night that I put them in a net breeder!! I was concerned my mollies would eat them, didnt think about the cories! Yeah, cories are relentless when they want something.

(Anything special for breeding albino cories? I know I have 2-3 females, and at least one male. I dont think I would intentionally breed them, but it would be nice to know what conditions are prime for them. Sorry, dont want to hijack this thread.)
Some of my cory species spawn now and then. A couple days ago I was sitting in front of the tank with the pygmy corys, and while I knew they spawn periodically, this time I observed a female carrying the egg in her pelvic fins, followed by a couple males, and depositing the egg on the underside of a floating leaf.

Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
Vancouver, BC, Canada

The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian. [unknown source]

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]
Byron is offline  
post #13 of 15 Old 04-09-2011, 02:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
Some of my cory species spawn now and then. A couple days ago I was sitting in front of the tank with the pygmy corys, and while I knew they spawn periodically, this time I observed a female carrying the egg in her pelvic fins, followed by a couple males, and depositing the egg on the underside of a floating leaf.
That's awesome.
I have witnessed my albinos spawn, but have never seen anything come of it. My habrosus though, I havent witnessed anything of the such, however with them I am pretty sure I have 1 female and 3 males, where its switched on the albinos I have.
Are there any special water conditions to consider for the albinos? I have live and artificial plants (3 live, 8 artificial), the cories are always on one particular live plant, especially under one of two leaves on it.

*They call me, Amanda*
Tank 1: (29 gal planted) empty
Tank 2: (15 gal) empty
LasColinasCichlids is offline  
post #14 of 15 Old 04-09-2011, 03:51 PM
New Member
 
I have had a bunch of CPD's for some time now. I also have:

cherry barbs...no reaction at all
German Rams: no reaction at all
Porkchop Rasboras: no reaction, though from time to time several of the CPD's will school for a while with the Rasporas
Two Rainbows... the rainbows will infrequently give a very brief chase to one or two CPDS, just a few seconds, I don't think it is too bad.
And a bunch of cories that do not interact with them at all.

I seem to have very good separation between my species, both top to bottom and front and back.

I do grind up my flakes in my fingers and release them underwater for the CPD's I have read, they do not go to surface, and I have not seem them eating off surface.

All mine have grown and developed really nice reds, but I have not noticed any spawning.

Good Luck.

jcinnb

55 Gallon, planted

Cherry Barbs 5
CPD's 6
Porkchop Rasboras 7
German Blue Rams 4
Boesemani Rainbow 2
Siamese Algae Eaters 4
Cories:
3 Lined: 1
Elegans: 3
Pandas: 4

I think I am pushing it, but water quality is holding up fine, and all the fishys seem pretty happy.
jcinnb is offline  
post #15 of 15 Old 04-09-2011, 04:03 PM
Member
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LasColinasCichlids View Post
That's awesome.
I have witnessed my albinos spawn, but have never seen anything come of it. My habrosus though, I havent witnessed anything of the such, however with them I am pretty sure I have 1 female and 3 males, where its switched on the albinos I have.
Are there any special water conditions to consider for the albinos? I have live and artificial plants (3 live, 8 artificial), the cories are always on one particular live plant, especially under one of two leaves on it.
If the albino are developed from the more common species, Corydoras paleatus or C. aeneus, they are quite adaptable. They like a roof over their head, hence they sit under plant leaves, wood, rock outcrops.

If you want to induce spawning, you can try a combination of things. Feed them live worms, or frozen, for several days to condition them. Then do a major water change (70-80%) and replace with cooler water (2-3 degrees) with a slight pH variation, and do it on a low pressure day--this all replicates a rainstorm (fish do sense atmospheric pressure). Darken the tank a bit (less overhead light). Moving the fish to their own tank for this is usually better, it also increases the sense of major change.

Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
Vancouver, BC, Canada

The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian. [unknown source]

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]
Byron is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Byron For This Useful Post:
LasColinasCichlids (04-09-2011)
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Centerpiece fish ideas? (2 in. or smaller, peaceful, okay w/ strong current) Akeath Freshwater and Tropical Fish 2 09-15-2009 12:26 PM
Looking for peaceful crabs heyhi Freshwater and Tropical Fish 1 04-25-2009 09:10 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome