Method for Quarantine? - Page 2
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » Method for Quarantine?

Method for Quarantine?

This is a discussion on Method for Quarantine? within the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> I've heard some pretty great stuff about the Tetra Whisper filter, though. Is it unreliable?...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Tire Track Eel
Tire Track Eel
Coral Red Pencilfish
Coral Red Pencilfish
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
Method for Quarantine?
Old 07-04-2012, 10:37 AM   #11
 
etanico's Avatar
 
I've heard some pretty great stuff about the Tetra Whisper filter, though. Is it unreliable?
etanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:31 PM   #12
 
Fishguy2727's Avatar
 
Any kit has a filter that goes 'up to' the tank size of the kit, making it under-sized since you need to cut that 'up to' in half, at best. Get an AquaClear, they have higher flow and a much higher media capacity.
Fishguy2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:46 PM   #13
 
etanico's Avatar
 
Thanks!

Okay hopefully my final question: does the quarantine tank need gravel, and does it need a filter?
etanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:58 PM   #14
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by etanico View Post
does the quarantine tank need gravel, and does it need a filter?
I would have a filter, a simple sponge is best. And a heater of course unless the ambient room temp is sufficient. Most recommend a bare substrate. Medications that may be used might be difficult to get out otherwise. The sponge of the filter can easily be discarded.

Sometimes some sort of "fake" decor helps to calm the fish. I had a Congo Tetra in QT for a week and he crashed into the tank wall a couple times when I was at the tank, obviously due to the stress of being in a bare tank (only had a sponge filter). Got his lip fungused, so had that to deal with too. I now have one of those gray root structures that will only be in this tank and it can be scrubbed in boiling water.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:05 PM   #15
 
Fishguy2727's Avatar
 
Here is an article I wrote on quarantine and why it usually causes more harm than good. This can help you avoid the mistakes so common to quarantine tanks. Quarantine

I would not leave it bare, decor is important for many fish in order to reduce stress.
Fishguy2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:28 PM   #16
 
etanico's Avatar
 
Thank you all so much! I lied about that being my last question.

So I have the new tank all set up. Water's been conditioned, plants planted, filter started. As a result of the old tank being overstocked and overplanted, it's disgusting. And at this point I don't know which is worse: to put them in the new tank so soon or to let them spend a night with crap and whatever else was under the plants in their old tank?

Should I switch them over early or hope they survive their filthy tank for the night?
etanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:25 PM   #17
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by etanico View Post
Thank you all so much! I lied about that being my last question.

So I have the new tank all set up. Water's been conditioned, plants planted, filter started. As a result of the old tank being overstocked and overplanted, it's disgusting. And at this point I don't know which is worse: to put them in the new tank so soon or to let them spend a night with crap and whatever else was under the plants in their old tank?

Should I switch them over early or hope they survive their filthy tank for the night?
This is the first mention of this issue in this thread. If the "new" tank has live plants, depending how many you could move the fish. I'm assuming this involves 4 (of 5) zebra danio, into a 20g planted tank, correct? Do a 50% water change using tap water in the 5g where the fish are now (assuming this tap water is what you used to fill the 20g), let it sit 20-30 minutes, then net over the 4 fish (if temp is same, or it can be warmer in the 20g but not cooler to touch).
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:36 PM   #18
 
etanico's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
Let it sit 20-30 minutes, then net over the 4 fish (if temp is same, or it can be warmer in the 20g but not cooler to touch).
I think I'm understanding you correctly, but let's double check: I finished the new tank a long time ago, and then did a water change in the old tank. Does that mean it's now safe for me to move them over to the new one?
etanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:38 PM   #19
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by etanico View Post
I think I'm understanding you correctly, but let's double check: I finished the new tank a long time ago, and then did a water change in the old tank. Does that mean it's now safe for me to move them over to the new one?
What is "a long time ago" actually?
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:43 PM   #20
 
etanico's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
What is "a long time ago" actually?
About an hour and 45 minutes ago.
etanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Blackout Method - Anyone try it? satwood Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 9 04-23-2008 05:02 PM
Does this method work? tangy Catfish 2 04-15-2008 06:58 AM
Best Method for Cycling? Phoenix Beginner Saltwater Aquariums 18 03-06-2008 04:50 PM
Berlin Method blnkndufus Beginner Saltwater Aquariums 2 01-31-2007 02:07 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:32 AM.