Looking For Fish Food Recipes
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » Looking For Fish Food Recipes

Looking For Fish Food Recipes

This is a discussion on Looking For Fish Food Recipes within the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> Does anyone have some homemade fish food recipes they can recommend? I have a 20 gallon long with endlers, pygmy cories, otocinclus, cherry shrimp, ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Guppy
Guppy
Spotted Headstander
Spotted Headstander
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By AbbeysDad

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
Looking For Fish Food Recipes
Old 04-08-2013, 02:23 PM   #1
 
emeraldsky's Avatar
 
Looking For Fish Food Recipes

Does anyone have some homemade fish food recipes they can recommend?


I have a 20 gallon long with endlers, pygmy cories, otocinclus, cherry shrimp, a mystery snail and a few nerites thats heavily planted.

Its' gotten to the point where I keep spending all my money on plants to cram in so I'd like to spoil my fish a bit


I'd like to lean towards a more vegetarian mix, I'd like to get my otos fattened up and I already have a variety of meaty foods I can already offer to supplement it.




Also if anyone has an article or something with information on what veggies are best for fish, Id really appreciate it if you could share, It's something I'd be interested in researching.
emeraldsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:18 AM   #2
 
Chesh's Avatar
 


I'm sorry you haven't gotten an answer for this yet! I've seen recipes here and there, but haven't gotten around to making any myself yet, so I cant really recommend one. Here's a *BUMP* in the hopes that someone who has (I know they're around!) can help you out!
Chesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:06 AM   #3
 
Rather than making some concoction you might better buy high quality fish foods and/or augment with frozen or live foods.

I simply suggest fish food made from whole fresh fish. Why? Not all fish foods are created equally. Many are made from fish meal. Some fish meal is the ground, dried waste by products from fish processing plants. Loaded with preservatives, it sits in a warehouse for indeterminate periods until it's sold to make fish food. In fish food manufacturing, dried fish meal requires copious amounts of starch (wheat, oat, soy or rice flour) as binder/filler and to increase the crude protein value. Fish don't really assimilate the starches and get less nutrition with more waste.
Fish foods made from fresh whole fish are more balanced and require less starch.

Buyer beware. Read the label. If the fist ingredients are flour (wheat, oat, soy. rice) and/or fish meal, it may not be the highest quality.

Some foods to consider: Omega One uses fresh, whole fish and kelp in their foods. Ed's Almost Natural uses fresh, whole, food grade fish (the same fish you'd put on your table). New Life Spectrum uses fish meal, but it's meal made from whole herring and krill (making it better fish meal than many others).

Note: When I switched to higher quality foods made from whole, fresh fish, I noticed that my fish produced much less waste...'believe it or not'.

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with any fish food manufacturer, distributor or retail outlet.
Chesh likes this.
AbbeysDad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AbbeysDad For This Useful Post:
emeraldsky (04-22-2013), ERICVANCOUVER (04-18-2013)
Old 04-18-2013, 08:32 AM   #4
 
Olympia's Avatar
 
You will need to base a gel mix with agar or gelatin. It takes a lot to keep it solid, I think agar is better, plus it's an actual sea weed so it's probably better.

I use canned salmon, and canned baby food. You can use shrimp but shrimp can be bad for fish so I'd avoid it or only use a little. Though things that are fresh would include kale, chard, spinach, peas, carrots (all blanched). Crushed up a bit if garlic. I've used squash too. O.o
Half an adult multivitamin (no iron- I find these tend to be the men's ones) for 5 cups of feed. People also add stuff like acidophilus, but it's expensive and not needed.

If you want oto food also consider mixing in spirulina (again expensive but worth it).

I sort of just mix at will now. There are some basic recipes with calorie content and such, directed at goldfish so search for goldfish gel foods. Once it sets I freeze in baggies and defrost daily what they eat.
Just don't put in the stems of chard or kale in the blender or you will fill the kitchen with smoke. ^-^

Edit: oh yea I've also been adding in extra vitamin E lately but you gotta be careful with fat soluble vitamins.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Olympia; 04-18-2013 at 10:19 AM..
Olympia is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Olympia For This Useful Post:
Chesh (04-18-2013), emeraldsky (04-22-2013)
Old 04-18-2013, 11:08 AM   #5
 
emeraldsky's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesherca View Post


I'm sorry you haven't gotten an answer for this yet! I've seen recipes here and there, but haven't gotten around to making any myself yet, so I cant really recommend one. Here's a *BUMP* in the hopes that someone who has (I know they're around!) can help you out!
Thanks for the bump, it looks like you did get some people to post


Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbeysDad View Post
Rather than making some concoction you might better buy high quality fish foods and/or augment with frozen or live foods.

I simply suggest fish food made from whole fresh fish. Why? Not all fish foods are created equally. Many are made from fish meal. Some fish meal is the ground, dried waste by products from fish processing plants. Loaded with preservatives, it sits in a warehouse for indeterminate periods until it's sold to make fish food. In fish food manufacturing, dried fish meal requires copious amounts of starch (wheat, oat, soy or rice flour) as binder/filler and to increase the crude protein value. Fish don't really assimilate the starches and get less nutrition with more waste.
Fish foods made from fresh whole fish are more balanced and require less starch.

Buyer beware. Read the label. If the fist ingredients are flour (wheat, oat, soy. rice) and/or fish meal, it may not be the highest quality.

Some foods to consider: Omega One uses fresh, whole fish and kelp in their foods. Ed's Almost Natural uses fresh, whole, food grade fish (the same fish you'd put on your table). New Life Spectrum uses fish meal, but it's meal made from whole herring and krill (making it better fish meal than many others).

Note: When I switched to higher quality foods made from whole, fresh fish, I noticed that my fish produced much less waste...'believe it or not'.

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with any fish food manufacturer, distributor or retail outlet.
Thank you for the information!
I'm actually looking into a vegetarian mix for my otos since I have a meatier based food. I was aware to look at labels and make sure the first ingredient was fish but I wasnt aware of those specific brands.
I'll be sure to look out for them when I go and get food next time!



Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
You will need to base a gel mix with agar or gelatin. It takes a lot to keep it solid, I think agar is better, plus it's an actual sea weed so it's probably better.

I use canned salmon, and canned baby food. You can use shrimp but shrimp can be bad for fish so I'd avoid it or only use a little. Though things that are fresh would include kale, chard, spinach, peas, carrots (all blanched). Crushed up a bit if garlic. I've used squash too. O.o
Half an adult multivitamin (no iron- I find these tend to be the men's ones) for 5 cups of feed. People also add stuff like acidophilus, but it's expensive and not needed.

If you want oto food also consider mixing in spirulina (again expensive but worth it).

I sort of just mix at will now. There are some basic recipes with calorie content and such, directed at goldfish so search for goldfish gel foods. Once it sets I freeze in baggies and defrost daily what they eat.
Just don't put in the stems of chard or kale in the blender or you will fill the kitchen with smoke. ^-^

Edit: oh yea I've also been adding in extra vitamin E lately but you gotta be careful with fat soluble vitamins.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thank you, I'll definitely look into that.
I've deciding to try blanching veggies before going all out and making fish food. Baby steps and all that :P
emeraldsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:32 PM   #6
 
thekoimaiden's Avatar
 
Just saw this today. Olympia has some good notes about the goldfish food. But there is also "ready-made" gel food. You buy the mix and just add the gel when you need to make more up. It can be frozen, too. Repashy is the first brand that comes to mind. I know a lot of hobbyist shrimp breeders use their stuff. Mazuri is another company that makes ready-made gel food. I have never seen these carried in stores so you'll likely have to order online.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thekoimaiden For This Useful Post:
Chesh (04-21-2013), emeraldsky (04-22-2013)
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cichlid Cafe! A Post For Homemade Food Recipes! koolman56 Cichlids 11 04-08-2010 09:42 AM
Home Made Recipes For Fish: West Texas Style jones57742 Member Submitted Articles 3 08-16-2007 10:56 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:04 PM.