This is a discussion on Is a little algae on my heater okay? within the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; -->
There is no algae in my tank since it is in my room and away from sunlight. I noticed a little bit of algae ...
There is no algae in my tank since it is in my room and away from sunlight. I noticed a little bit of algae buildup on the very bottom of my heater, where the rubber tip is. That is the only algae in my tank. Is that alright to have, or should I take it out and clean it off?
I wouldn't worry about it if that's all you have. Though do you have live plants in this tank? If not algae is not a bad thing at all infact it will serve in the same way plants do as far as helping keep the water parameters in check.
Like Bordomb said, a bit of algae can be very beneficial to your tank. And if you have any plant-consuming fish, it will contribute to the vegetable portion of their diet. I keep platties, and my tank gets about 12 hours of indirect sunlight during the day. They get just enough algae. It's very entertaining to watch them nibble it off the heater, decor, etc.