It's already been said in this thread, but...you are heading for real problems if you leave the tank light on 24/7.
The plants cannot possibly find sufficient nutrients to balance that much light, and algae will take over and be a real mess. Not to mention the plants cannot last under constant light anyway.
The fish will be severely stressed without a period of darkness to rest. Outbreaks of ich are common, caused by stress from the light.
As was mentioned, there must be light in the room when the tank light comes on and goes out; either daylight or artificial room lights. A period of about 20-30 minutes before/after is sufficient. This prevents the sudden shock of light/no light, which causes the reaction you describe.
And a fish tank should be covered; many fish will jump if frightened or startled, plus water evaporates (and gets into the walls and ceiling of the room just like in bathrooms without ventilation) and dust and whatever gets into the water. And it is harder to maintain a warm temperature on cold days, so the heater is working harder and may give out.