Lidless tank test
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » Lidless tank test

Lidless tank test

This is a discussion on Lidless tank test within the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> I left the lid off of my tank today out of curiosity. Two things become apparent as a result of about 10 hours of ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
African Butterfly Fish
African Butterfly Fish
Oto Catfish
Oto Catfish
Like Tree2Likes

Reply
Old 04-03-2013, 10:26 PM   #1
JDM
 
JDM's Avatar
 
Lidless tank test

I left the lid off of my tank today out of curiosity. Two things become apparent as a result of about 10 hours of lidlessness.

1) the water level went down. I didn't measure it but the cross bar was more than touching the surface this morning and tonight it was distinctly out of the water, between an 1/8" and 1/4". Lots of evaporation.

2) the temperature of the water is normally just cross 78F. Tonight it was riding 77.0F so it lost as much as a degree.

Lesson learned, I can't really pull of a lidless tank as much as I'd love to let the plants grow out the top I don't think I will do it. Partly due to the temperature drop, but I was going to be putting a second heater inline with the filter so heating capacity wouldn't be problem. My water starts out at 23dGH though, evaporation and topping of at that rate will increase the hardness which is something I would like to avoid.

Jeff.
JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:52 AM   #2
 
Snappyarcher's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
I left the lid off of my tank today out of curiosity. Two things become apparent as a result of about 10 hours of lidlessness.

1) the water level went down. I didn't measure it but the cross bar was more than touching the surface this morning and tonight it was distinctly out of the water, between an 1/8" and 1/4". Lots of evaporation.

2) the temperature of the water is normally just cross 78F. Tonight it was riding 77.0F so it lost as much as a degree.

Lesson learned, I can't really pull of a lidless tank as much as I'd love to let the plants grow out the top I don't think I will do it. Partly due to the temperature drop, but I was going to be putting a second heater inline with the filter so heating capacity wouldn't be problem. My water starts out at 23dGH though, evaporation and topping of at that rate will increase the hardness which is something I would like to avoid.

Jeff.
Hi Jeff.... nice to see someone experimenting and not just relying on "read wisdom"! What you will also have noticed is that while the solutes in the tank increased in concentration there will have been a possible shift int he pH to the higher/more alkaline side.
there is such a thing as the palludarum which is basically a garden sprouting from a tank with inhabitants. This however is not for the faint hearted and its wise to really be sure of your plants and their eventual size and appearance.... otherwise partners can start to egt a bit shirty when there appears to be a weed patch in the living room! Also maintenance is usually quite high for the palludarium too!

Wat you dont mention is the size of the tank.... the bigger the tank the more the volume of water and thus the stability in the water chemistry.... however the bigger the volume of water the greater the surface area for evaporation to occur.... and if you dont have adequate ventilation you are asking fro damp problems in the room!

From another more pragmatic side, fish when frightened, will jump and without a lid, and a cat in the house, the cat gets bigger and the population of fish gets smaller!

Lits to consider but well done so far!
Snappyarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:21 AM   #3
JDM
 
JDM's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snappyarcher View Post
Hi Jeff.... nice to see someone experimenting and not just relying on "read wisdom"! What you will also have noticed is that while the solutes in the tank increased in concentration there will have been a possible shift int he pH to the higher/more alkaline side.
there is such a thing as the palludarum which is basically a garden sprouting from a tank with inhabitants. This however is not for the faint hearted and its wise to really be sure of your plants and their eventual size and appearance.... otherwise partners can start to egt a bit shirty when there appears to be a weed patch in the living room! Also maintenance is usually quite high for the palludarium too!

Wat you dont mention is the size of the tank.... the bigger the tank the more the volume of water and thus the stability in the water chemistry.... however the bigger the volume of water the greater the surface area for evaporation to occur.... and if you dont have adequate ventilation you are asking fro damp problems in the room!

From another more pragmatic side, fish when frightened, will jump and without a lid, and a cat in the house, the cat gets bigger and the population of fish gets smaller!

Lits to consider but well done so far!
I'm not one to take anything at face value very much anymore as I find that the "repeaters of knowledge" are often just that.... not that there isn't great knowledgeable people, just that the signal to noise ratio... well.... sucks.

Keep in mind that this was a one day test with some speculating as what I might expect to be a long term result. I keep a glass lid on and I don't have any noticeable evaporation and my temperature remains mostly constant. My pH has shifted down about 0.4 while the water tends toward softening a bit... which is about what I would expect. I've have the hardness drop by as much as 25% in a week at one point.

37 gallon, 12" by 30" surface area and about 20" deep. It's a little too deep for growing many plants that might emerge from the water and, due to the glass top being only 1/2" off of the water, they are not likely to make it into my repertoire anyway. I am tinkering with a jug setup (linked in another response post) that I have four plants emerging... my wife has already asked what I am going to do with the jug of green crap... she likes plants too so I need to get it into growth mode with something other than a mass of duckweed with a few sprigs appearing.

Jeff.
JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:47 PM   #4
 
im also doing this experiment. ive been lidless for about 2 weeks now. ive found that my water lettuce is growing really well and my vine looking floating plants as well. ive only noticed water level go down about 1.5 inches over a week. as for temps i havent really kept track. cool experiment tho!
rexpepper651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:48 PM   #5
 
1077's Avatar
 
I have noticed that without glass tops on my 80 gal and 55 gal that I lose approx two and a half gallon's of water each week,each tank, due to evaporation.(two to three fish)
With glass top's on ,,I only lose about a half gallon to a gallon of water per week.(no jumper's)
1077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:08 PM   #6
JDM
 
JDM's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexpepper651 View Post
im also doing this experiment. ive been lidless for about 2 weeks now. ive found that my water lettuce is growing really well and my vine looking floating plants as well. ive only noticed water level go down about 1.5 inches over a week. as for temps i havent really kept track. cool experiment tho!
I have been wanting water lettuce but, after a little more looking, found that it doesn't like to get the topside wet... close fitting dripping glass tops will probably kill it in short order. I'm going to have to stick with my duckweed and now some pennywort that is working out nicely on the surface.

I have a jug on the go, not heated plant only that is losing nothing to evaporation but there is literally a 1.5" layer of duckweed on the surface. If I went with really low light fully covered with surface plants, I think that the plant cover would mitigate evaporation and heat loss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1077 View Post
I have noticed that without glass tops on my 80 gal and 55 gal that I lose approx two and a half gallon's of water each week,each tank, due to evaporation.(two to three fish)
With glass top's on ,,I only lose about a half gallon to a gallon of water per week.(no jumper's)
That's a lot of water... and a lot of fish. I can't say that I lose anything with the glass lid on, nothing that I have noticed and I think I would notice.

To be honest, the only reason I had the lid off was to try to catch our "sick" betta. The water and temperature loss were sidebars. I still have not caught him... feisty bugger considering he hasn't eaten in 6 days... and the shrimp seem to all still be around.

Jeff.
JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:09 PM   #7
 
all depends on the climate. in winter here in mn when we were having really cold weather i was lossing about an inch of water every 2 days in my 55 g
rexpepper651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:11 PM   #8
JDM
 
JDM's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexpepper651 View Post
all depends on the climate. in winter here in mn when we were having really cold weather i was lossing about an inch of water every 2 days in my 55 g
Expensive humidifier.

Jeff.
rexpepper651 likes this.
JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:20 PM   #9
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
I have been wanting water lettuce but, after a little more looking, found that it doesn't like to get the topside wet... close fitting dripping glass tops will probably kill it in short order. I'm going to have to stick with my duckweed and now some pennywort that is working out nicely on the surface.


Jeff.
how close to the top do you bring your water? i just go a lil above the black trim. they fit ok. i didnt know they dont like getting wet!
rexpepper651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:25 PM   #10
BWG
 
I have a 20 gallon lidless that is absolutely thick with floaters and evaporation is still noticeable.

Most of my aquariums though have glass lids with the rear plastic left unattached. Two of those tanks have dwarf water lettuce and it grows well. Perhaps too well since I have to weed some out every week. ;)
BWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Test strips VS Test drops MoneyMitch Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 35 03-01-2013 10:13 AM
INTERPET EASY TEST MASTER LIQUID TEST KIT help andylyon87 Freshwater Aquarium Equipment 2 05-07-2007 08:28 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:21 AM.