Kuhli Loachs with small Tiger Barbs? - Page 2
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » Kuhli Loachs with small Tiger Barbs?

Kuhli Loachs with small Tiger Barbs?

This is a discussion on Kuhli Loachs with small Tiger Barbs? within the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> Originally Posted by jrury my mom has a 55 that they move to when they get larger. i just want one of my own ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Blue Ram
Blue Ram
Panda Corydoras
Panda Corydoras
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
Kuhli Loachs with small Tiger Barbs?
Old 04-15-2012, 04:04 PM   #11
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrury View Post
my mom has a 55 that they move to when they get larger. i just want one of my own would like a small community tank after the barbs get large and move out but don't know what kind of fish would work.
There are lots of options for a 10g, and by selecting the smaller fish species you can have more which makes it a more interesting tank than just a fish or two, as fish do interact with each other. Some of hte "dwarf" species will have water preferences and being wild caught these can be more important, so kn owing you tap water hardness and pH will allow some of us to suggest suitable fish.

Byron.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 04:09 PM   #12
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
There are lots of options for a 10g, and by selecting the smaller fish species you can have more which makes it a more interesting tank than just a fish or two, as fish do interact with each other. Some of hte "dwarf" species will have water preferences and being wild caught these can be more important, so kn owing you tap water hardness and pH will allow some of us to suggest suitable fish.

Byron.
thanks and I'm thinking about getting maybe 9 neon tetras would that be good with a few shrimp and nit sure about the tap hardness and ph but its from a well if that changes anything. will check once i get home
jrury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 04:20 PM   #13
 
thekoimaiden's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrury View Post
my mom has a 55 that they move to when they get larger. i just want one of my own would like a small community tank after the barbs get large and move out but don't know what kind of fish would work.
With less than 6, you'll hardly ever see the little bugger, even with ideal water conditions. Trust me. I've been there. This is a highly social species and needs buddies. Kept singly you are likely never to see it or it will die of stress.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:09 PM   #14
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrury View Post
thanks and I'm thinking about getting maybe 9 neon tetras would that be good with a few shrimp and nit sure about the tap hardness and ph but its from a well if that changes anything. will check once i get home
I would not cram neons into a 10g myself; as noted in our profile, a 24-inch tank is the minimum recommended for a group of neon tetra. We can find some very colourful smaller fish, once we know the params to narrow them down.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:57 PM   #15
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
I would not cram neons into a 10g myself; as noted in our profile, a 24-inch tank is the minimum recommended for a group of neon tetra. We can find some very colourful smaller fish, once we know the params to narrow them down.
ammonia is 0
nitrate is 0
nitrite is almost 0
hardness is 8

how about a 20L tank. what would work as far as community
jrury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:37 PM   #16
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrury View Post
ammonia is 0
nitrate is 0
nitrite is almost 0
hardness is 8

how about a 20L tank. what would work as far as community
Is the hardness 8 degrees, presumably (as opposed to 8 ppm)? That's fine. What is the pH?

And yes, a 20 gallon long, which is 30 inches length, is much better. This will allow for neons and another similar tetra, plus some substrate fish like a smal group of corys.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:47 PM   #17
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
Is the hardness 8 degrees, presumably (as opposed to 8 ppm)? That's fine. What is the pH?

And yes, a 20 gallon long, which is 30 inches length, is much better. This will allow for neons and another similar tetra, plus some substrate fish like a smal group of corys.
yes degrees and ph is between 7 and 8 need to get the 20L soon
jrury is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
6 tiger barbs in a 15 gal? jdm free Cyprinids and Atherinids 12 07-24-2010 12:53 AM
what to put with tiger barbs foxinc666 Cyprinids and Atherinids 6 12-12-2009 12:03 AM
Tiger barbs and kuhli loaches? TrashmanNYC Freshwater and Tropical Fish 3 02-25-2008 11:09 PM
How to tell the sex of tiger barbs? Crossett Tropical Fish Diseases 1 07-07-2007 08:21 AM
Tiger Barbs... fishr4life Cyprinids and Atherinids 9 06-13-2007 06:32 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:11 PM.