So here it is, my free 55 gallon that some soul didn't want and left out on the corner. I don't have pics of it when I first got it, but rest assured it was pretty disgusting. Lots of green... I basically stored it in my nephews garage all summer. It wasn't exactly pristine after sitting in there either...
But the first thing I've done (aside from cleaning it like mad this morning) is to do a spray on background.
1 can Krylon Make It Stone paint in black granite color.
1 can Krylon Make It Last clear coat sealer.
1 roll blue masking tape
Hot soapy water, rubbing alcohol.
Some old newspaper.
I started off by cleaning the back of the aquarium with hot soapy water, and then wiped it down with a cloth soaked in rubbing alcohol. I got the alcohol idea from my mom, who does a lot of arts and crafts stuff with paint. According to her it would remove any of the remaining grease and oils left on the glass, and it did do a really good job.
Second, mask out the back of the tank and cover any areas potentially sprayed with the paint. (pretty self explanatory).
Applied paint, waited a little over six hours. Applied clear coat, waited an hour and a half.
Done. Here are some pics. I think it turned out really well, I'm very happy with it.