Joining the world of Discus - Page 3
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » Joining the world of Discus

Joining the world of Discus

This is a discussion on Joining the world of Discus within the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> Originally Posted by SweetPoison I would not use under gravel filter with Discus. I would not use one with anything, actually. You really won't ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Marble Hatchetfish
Marble Hatchetfish
Discus
Discus
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
Joining the world of Discus
Old 02-25-2011, 03:29 AM   #21
 
Plumkin's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetPoison View Post
I would not use under gravel filter with Discus. I would not use one with anything, actually. You really won't need one because you are going bare bottom, right?

IMO, I would highly recommend you do so ~ until you get the basics of keeping these awesome fish.

Pop over to Simply and read. Read and read some more. Especially, the Disease and Illness section ~ And learn.

I am jealous!

Ya I have I even spoke with kenny over the phone and gravel with planted tank shoould be great It will be quite some time till i get any now that my angels are spawning I think i will be more busy with rasing them first and then I'll come back to the discus.
Plumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:45 AM   #22
 
SweetPoison's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumkin View Post
Ya I have I even spoke with kenny over the phone and gravel with planted tank shoould be great

He actually told you, a possible first time Discus owner, that gravel and a planted tank would be great? Honestly? Or did I read that wrong?
SweetPoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 04:27 AM   #23
 
Lupin's Avatar
 
He's planning the sub-adults to adults so I don't think planted setups are a problem for them. It's the ones less than 4 inches in diameter that should be kept in a bare setup.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:46 AM   #24
 
SweetPoison's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin View Post
He's planning the sub-adults to adults so I don't think planted setups are a problem for them. It's the ones less than 4 inches in diameter that should be kept in a bare setup.
Will I still be on your special list if I disagree?
SweetPoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:29 AM   #25
 
Lupin's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetPoison View Post
Will I still be on your special list if I disagree?
No.lol Okay, what do you disagree about this?
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:32 AM   #26
 
SweetPoison's Avatar
 
Well ~ for someone who has never had Discus ~ I would always advise a bare bottom tank.

But that is just me.
SweetPoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:39 AM   #27
 
Lupin's Avatar
 
Ahh...Not really a problem. I did indicate it's the juveniles that are more worrisome hence the bare setup. They stunt so easily with all the organic materials accumulating around.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:34 AM   #28
 
aunt kymmie's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetPoison View Post
Well ~ for someone who has never had Discus ~ I would always advise a bare bottom tank.

But that is just me.
I had never had discus before and when I brought my babies home immediately into a planted tank they went. They were 3" specimens. That being said, if I told you that the time frame from them going from 3" to 4" was one of the most stressful periods of fishkeeping I've ever had would you believe me?? With all the hair pulling I went through it's surprising I'm not bald! I will never do that again nor would I advise anyone else to!! Buy 4" plus specimens (for a planted tank) or go barebottom for anything 3" and under.
aunt kymmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:33 PM   #29
 
Plumkin's Avatar
 
haha aww kym I would go nutts if i was you if your talking your huggge tank and having to go through that ! yes posion ill be buying 4.5 - 6 inch discus and kenny said it would be good.
Plumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 04:31 AM   #30
 
SweetPoison's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by aunt kymmie View Post
I had never had discus before and when I brought my babies home immediately into a planted tank they went. They were 3" specimens. That being said, if I told you that the time frame from them going from 3" to 4" was one of the most stressful periods of fishkeeping I've ever had would you believe me?? With all the hair pulling I went through it's surprising I'm not bald! I will never do that again nor would I advise anyone else to!! Buy 4" plus specimens (for a planted tank) or go barebottom for anything 3" and under.

They certainly can cause stress in the human. Make no mistake about that. Lord. But they are my most favorite fish in the world and worth every moment!
SweetPoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
joining multiple tanks masterofthesea Freshwater Aquarium Equipment 8 09-16-2012 12:49 PM
Thinking of joining the sand wagon (teehee pun intended) ghostgirl Beginner Planted Aquarium 7 01-26-2011 07:49 PM
joining the saltie side willow Beginner Saltwater Aquariums 0 09-27-2007 02:19 AM


Tags
discus

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:00 PM.