Input on 55 gallon planted stocking with Bolivian Rams - Page 9
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » Input on 55 gallon planted stocking with Bolivian Rams

Input on 55 gallon planted stocking with Bolivian Rams

This is a discussion on Input on 55 gallon planted stocking with Bolivian Rams within the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> Well.. So far no other dead Harlequin Rasbora in the main tank. The day after the death of the single rasbora, one of the ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Oto Catfish
Oto Catfish
Badis
Badis
Like Tree38Likes

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
Input on 55 gallon planted stocking with Bolivian Rams
Old 05-10-2013, 02:27 PM   #81
 
LadyKeiva's Avatar
 
Well.. So far no other dead Harlequin Rasbora in the main tank.

The day after the death of the single rasbora, one of the others was kind of pale and lingering behind some plants for a few ours. Next day I was 1 short all day (on top of the first loss), with the one that was lingering no where to be found.

Counted again the next day... I was back up to the number of fish after that first loss. All of them looking perfectly healthy. I have no idea where that lingering one was.. I feel like I'm losing my mind. But since then, no issues or strange behavior. (It's been a week since the mysterious loss of the fish).

On another note, my Black Phantom Tetras in QT are scheduled to be added to the main tank this upcoming Thursday (May 16th). Should I post pone this another week? Or continue as planned if no strange happenings occur in the main tank by Thursday?

Also, @ Ches, The fish that died didn't seem to be on top of the Frogbit, just laying/floating up under it. I don't have much room between the water level and the lid for them to get far with jumping anyway. But you never know >,<

=)
Jessica
Chesh likes this.
LadyKeiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:35 PM   #82
 
Chesh's Avatar
 
Glad to hear things are looking back up, and that all is well! Mysterious issues always make me so nervous. . . so yeah, I'd keep them in QT just a little bit longer, even if it may not be something overly concerning - just because I'm fussy like that! A little bit more patience to be sure wouldn't cause any harm . . .how long have they been in QT now?

Last edited by Chesh; 05-10-2013 at 02:37 PM..
Chesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:37 PM   #83
 
LadyKeiva's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesherca View Post
Glad to hear things are looking back up, and that all is well! Mysterious issues always make me so nervous. . . so yeah, I'd keep them in QT just a little bit longer, even if it may not be something overly concerning - just because I'm fussy like that! How long have they been in QT now?
I'm a bit paranoid about it. Not sure if my paranoia or excitement to have more life in my tank will win >,<. Hoping paranoia wins this one, I'd hate to have more issues because I couldn't be patient.

It'll be a 5 weeks May 16th since they entered QT.
LadyKeiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:45 PM   #84
 
Chesh's Avatar
 
I hear ya, it's so hard to wait! I personally QT for at least 6 weeks. . . sometimes longer. . . if that makes you feel any more patient?
LadyKeiva likes this.
Chesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:48 PM   #85
 
LadyKeiva's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesherca View Post
I hear ya, it's so hard to wait! I personally QT for at least 6 weeks. . . sometimes longer. . . if that makes you feel any more patient?
Not really! I'll probably end up waiting though. My rasbora were in QT forever (2 months I think) because I kept moving my 55 around too much. Wanted it just right before they went in.

>,< I caught the vivarium big earlier this week. I'll just have to drown myself in research and ignore the urge to move fish.
LadyKeiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:14 PM   #86
 
Byron's Avatar
 
I tend to go 5-6 weeks in QT, sometimes depending upon the fish [what they are, and where I got them]. I have had issues occur 2-3 months after acquisition, but you have to draw the line somewhere, and you will usually see health issues within 6 weeks.

A week (while in QT) of feeding food mixed with metronidazole is not a bad idea these days, what with the internal protozoan in hatchery fish.

Byron.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Byron For This Useful Post:
LadyKeiva (05-10-2013)
Old 05-10-2013, 03:18 PM   #87
 
LadyKeiva's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
I tend to go 5-6 weeks in QT, sometimes depending upon the fish [what they are, and where I got them]. I have had issues occur 2-3 months after acquisition, but you have to draw the line somewhere, and you will usually see health issues within 6 weeks.

A week (while in QT) of feeding food mixed with metronidazole is not a bad idea these days, what with the internal protozoan in hatchery fish.

Byron.
I'll probably extend my QT period to the 26th. Just to be safe.. Even though I'm all antsy to move/buy more fish. I'll have to look into buying that medication as part new accuisition routine. That's a great idea. Thanks =)
LadyKeiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:31 PM   #88
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKeiva View Post
I'll probably extend my QT period to the 26th. Just to be safe.. Even though I'm all antsy to move/buy more fish. I'll have to look into buying that medication as part new accuisition routine. That's a great idea. Thanks =)
Seachem make it, just called Metronidazole. And I have also used (successfully) a product called Metro+, made I think by Aquarium Solutions. Both are a white powder that you mix with flake food in a zip-lock bag, enough flake for say a week's feeding, and then feed normally every day with only this food. Some of the drug gets in the water, but that is fine; if the fish eat it, all the better. Most fish are fine with this drug; I have characins, barbs, cichlids, catfish.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Byron For This Useful Post:
LadyKeiva (05-10-2013)
Old 05-10-2013, 03:38 PM   #89
 
jaysee's Avatar
 
Another medication for internal parasites is prazipro. It's pretty concentrated - the small bottle will do unless you have a whole bunch of tanks and a pond and are going to use it prophylactically, which you can do.


Sent from Petguide.com App
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jaysee For This Useful Post:
LadyKeiva (05-10-2013)
Old 05-10-2013, 07:02 PM   #90
 
jentralala's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
Seachem make it, just called Metronidazole. And I have also used (successfully) a product called Metro+, made I think by Aquarium Solutions. Both are a white powder that you mix with flake food in a zip-lock bag, enough flake for say a week's feeding, and then feed normally every day with only this food. Some of the drug gets in the water, but that is fine; if the fish eat it, all the better. Most fish are fine with this drug; I have characins, barbs, cichlids, catfish.

Can it be mixed with any fish food (NLS pellets, for example), or only flake?
jentralala is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
120 gallon Rainbow fish and loach and bolivian rams boxercrazy156 Freshwater Journals 23 07-18-2013 08:23 AM
Male and female bolivian rams 20 gallon good filter. doki Freshwater Journals 12 03-24-2012 08:28 PM
Pair of Bolivian Rams in 29 gallon smoodgie6 Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 1 08-08-2011 06:22 PM
How Many Bolivian Rams should I get for my 65 gallon tank? Angel777 Cichlids 6 02-27-2010 03:34 PM


Tags
bolivian ram, planted tank, setup, stocking list 55 gallon

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:43 PM.