Input on 55 gallon planted stocking with Bolivian Rams - Page 2
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » Input on 55 gallon planted stocking with Bolivian Rams

Input on 55 gallon planted stocking with Bolivian Rams

This is a discussion on Input on 55 gallon planted stocking with Bolivian Rams within the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> Hi again I had posted a few weeks ago about input on my 55 gallon planted with Bolivian rams and received a lot of ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Platy
Platy
Pearl Gourami
Pearl Gourami
Like Tree38Likes

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
Input on 55 gallon planted stocking with Bolivian Rams
Old 12-03-2012, 06:45 PM   #11
 
LadyKeiva's Avatar
 
Hi again

I had posted a few weeks ago about input on my 55 gallon planted with Bolivian rams and received a lot of great and helpful input. I will now be doing all my planting Wednesday/Thursday and I'll be looking to add fish in the weeks to follow.

The stock I was thinking of doing was as follows:

-1 pair Bolivian Rams
-10 to 14 Neon Tetra
-10 to 14 Harlequin Rasbora and/or 15 to 18 Brilliant Rummy Nose Tetra
-10 Sterbai Cory

I'm not sure what the best order of introduction would be for the new tank. Any advice would be much appreciated!!!
Canadian Fish likes this.
LadyKeiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:26 PM   #12
 
Byron's Avatar
 
This will repeat what I mentioned in my response to your PM, but for the record so others know:

Cardinal tetra instead of neon tetra is worth considering since you have soft water (GH 4) and the pH at 7 will easily lower naturally. They (cardinals) are more colourful, and much more resilient to disease than neons these days.

Rasbora in first, then cardinals, then rummys, then corys, then rams.

This is a good combination, I just happen to have these same species (minus the rasbora) in my 115g (along with a few others too). They really are so well matched, it is almost a lesson in community fish.

Byron.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:42 AM   #13
 
LadyKeiva's Avatar
 
Super helpful, exactly the info I was looking for. Anyone else with other suggestions would be great

I'll most likely put in the Cardinal Tetra rather than the Neon. After browsing their profile and looking through videos and pictures they really are beautiful in a planted thank.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
This will repeat what I mentioned in my response to your PM, but for the record so others know:

Cardinal tetra instead of neon tetra is worth considering since you have soft water (GH 4) and the pH at 7 will easily lower naturally. They (cardinals) are more colourful, and much more resilient to disease than neons these days.

Rasbora in first, then cardinals, then rummys, then corys, then rams.

This is a good combination, I just happen to have these same species (minus the rasbora) in my 115g (along with a few others too). They really are so well matched, it is almost a lesson in community fish.

Byron.
LadyKeiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:10 PM   #14
 
LadyKeiva's Avatar
 
Anyone have any thoughts on doing a group of 10 or so Rosy Tetras instead of the Brilliant Rummy Nose?

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/profiles/rosy-tetra/

As much as I love the Rummy's and how they school. I was wondering if the Rosy Tetra would be a good suitable substitute. They seem to have the right requirements to fit with the rest of the stock. I thought they would be a a nice tribute to my Grandmother who just passed away last Monday (Her name was Rosie).
LadyKeiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:52 PM   #15
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKeiva View Post
Anyone have any thoughts on doing a group of 10 or so Rosy Tetras instead of the Brilliant Rummy Nose?

Rosy Tetra (Hyphessobrycon rosaceus) Profile

As much as I love the Rummy's and how they school. I was wondering if the Rosy Tetra would be a good suitable substitute. They seem to have the right requirements to fit with the rest of the stock. I thought they would be a a nice tribute to my Grandmother who just passed away last Monday (Her name was Rosie).
No problem with the fish itself. I would just point out that you are removing the only "semi-active" fish, as the rummys do school like no other tetra, in a group, from one end of the tank to the other. Not in any super-charged way to bother sedate fish, but they do like to swim more. None of the other mentioned tetra or the rasbora do this, nor does the ram; they will basically remain in a group under shade. The Rosy do this too. If this matters to you, perhaps replace the rasbora with Rosy Tetra.

Byron.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:01 PM   #16
 
LadyKeiva's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
No problem with the fish itself. I would just point out that you are removing the only "semi-active" fish, as the rummys do school like no other tetra, in a group, from one end of the tank to the other. Not in any super-charged way to bother sedate fish, but they do like to swim more. None of the other mentioned tetra or the rasbora do this, nor does the ram; they will basically remain in a group under shade. The Rosy do this too. If this matters to you, perhaps replace the rasbora with Rosy Tetra.

Byron.
I suspected as much. I'll have to give it some thought then I suppose. I do very much prefer the swimming habits of the Rummys, but I'd like to keep the orange coloration the Harlequin rasboras add (Promised my boyfriend I would incorporation colors he liked since he has to stare at it all day =P). I may just forgo the idea of the Rosys. We shall see! Thanks ^,^
LadyKeiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:34 PM   #17
 
LadyKeiva's Avatar
 


Added the last of my plants
Still need to find somewhere local to buy some nice smooth/flat river rocks. Left open spaces for them. No luck so far.
Used a bunch of different types of plants. Wanted to figure out what I had the best luck growing and what I liked the look of in the tank. Not sure I'm a fan of the hairgrass. Want more of the pygmy chain sword I think.

First group of fish going in to my QT tank next week.

Last edited by LadyKeiva; 12-13-2012 at 11:39 PM..
LadyKeiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:38 PM   #18
 
Canadian Fish's Avatar
 
Wow, looks really great!
LadyKeiva likes this.
Canadian Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canadian Fish For This Useful Post:
LadyKeiva (12-14-2012)
Old 12-14-2012, 09:26 AM   #19
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Agree, that is what I call a very natural aquascape. Well done.

On the pygmy chain swords, be patient. Once they get settled, you will have runners with adventitious plants covering the substrate. If I had just $1 for every one of the runner plants I have tossed into the compost during the past year, I could buy a new car.

Byron.
LadyKeiva likes this.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Byron For This Useful Post:
LadyKeiva (12-14-2012)
Old 12-14-2012, 09:57 AM   #20
 
I like your tank also.
beaslbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to beaslbob For This Useful Post:
LadyKeiva (12-14-2012)
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
120 gallon Rainbow fish and loach and bolivian rams boxercrazy156 Freshwater Journals 23 07-18-2013 07:23 AM
Male and female bolivian rams 20 gallon good filter. doki Freshwater Journals 12 03-24-2012 07:28 PM
Pair of Bolivian Rams in 29 gallon smoodgie6 Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 1 08-08-2011 05:22 PM
How Many Bolivian Rams should I get for my 65 gallon tank? Angel777 Cichlids 6 02-27-2010 02:34 PM


Tags
bolivian ram, planted tank, setup, stocking list 55 gallon

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:53 AM.