inbuilt hood lights gone wrong
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » inbuilt hood lights gone wrong

inbuilt hood lights gone wrong

This is a discussion on inbuilt hood lights gone wrong within the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> i have a 3ft tank with an inbuilt hood. one of the light circuits have blown ive tried other light bulbs but not working, ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Platy
Platy
Kribensis
Kribensis
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
inbuilt hood lights gone wrong
Old 03-03-2012, 05:58 PM   #1
 
jfengler's Avatar
 
inbuilt hood lights gone wrong

i have a 3ft tank with an inbuilt hood. one of the light circuits have blown ive tried other light bulbs but not working, ive tried new starter plugs and still not working,

what can i do to fix this situation
jfengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:57 PM   #2
 
Tazman's Avatar
 
Get a professional electrician to have a look at it.

Messing with electrical circuits is not something you should do without knowing what you are doing.
Tazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:46 PM   #3
 
jfengler's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazman View Post
Get a professional electrician to have a look at it.

Messing with electrical circuits is not something you should do without knowing what you are doing.
cheers for that
jfengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 12:05 AM   #4
 
Tazman's Avatar
 
If you know what you are doing, then check for broken wires entering the starter circuit, which may have been caused by condensation inside the unit.

If you have an electrical probe, check and see (very carefully) with the unit plugged in where the power is getting to.

It is not out of the question, that the replacement starter you have is not working.

**PLEASE NOTE I WILL NOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE, IF YOU CHOOSE TO DO THIS**
Tazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 04:12 AM   #5
 
jfengler's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazman View Post
If you know what you are doing, then check for broken wires entering the starter circuit, which may have been caused by condensation inside the unit.

If you have an electrical probe, check and see (very carefully) with the unit plugged in where the power is getting to.

It is not out of the question, that the replacement starter you have is not working.

**PLEASE NOTE I WILL NOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE, IF YOU CHOOSE TO DO THIS**
so what would the best thing to do, for fixing this
jfengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:32 AM   #6
 
Tazman's Avatar
 
Try different bulbs again and a starter (you might have to purchase these), it not uncommon to have a dead bulb and starter with flourescent lights.

If it is not that then there is a break in the wire, you can try taking it all apart and checking the wire. It could also be the contacts on the bulb housing. Anything regardless really is going to be a bit of slightly dangerous work.

You risk either damaging the fixture taking it apart or you risk at WORST the possibility of being electrocuted if you make a mistake.
I am a qualified electrician so I know what I am doing, which is why I suggested you get a professional electrician to look at it.
The little starters in flourescent tubes, actually for a split second get hotter than the surface of the sun when they first start up to agitate the powder in the tubes.
Tazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:27 PM   #7
 
jfengler's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazman View Post
Try different bulbs again and a starter (you might have to purchase these), it not uncommon to have a dead bulb and starter with flourescent lights.

If it is not that then there is a break in the wire, you can try taking it all apart and checking the wire. It could also be the contacts on the bulb housing. Anything regardless really is going to be a bit of slightly dangerous work.

You risk either damaging the fixture taking it apart or you risk at WORST the possibility of being electrocuted if you make a mistake.
I am a qualified electrician so I know what I am doing, which is why I suggested you get a professional electrician to look at it.
The little starters in flourescent tubes, actually for a split second get hotter than the surface of the sun when they first start up to agitate the powder in the tubes.
thanks, i tried the starters and another bulb it wont work i really want this working cos my tank is too dark 1 light isnt enough for a deep tank
jfengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rebulding Hood for 10g, One or Two Lights? Angel079 Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 4 11-22-2009 06:25 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:24 PM.