03-28-2010, 03:13 AM
| || |
Originally Posted by 1077
I have little confidence in the ammonia readings you are getting especially considering the tank has been running for a year,.At some point the tank did cycle. Unless you have done something to destroy the biological filter perhaps changing out substrates? switching old filter for new filter ,or as mentioned ,,cleaned filter material in tapwater , then the tank still has biological filter and should be cycled.
Might test some tapwater for ammonia,Might take sample of water to fish store and get second opinion.
If you think you may have destroyed some good bacteria and you have another tank? or a friend with a tank, then borrow some filter material from them or from other tank and place the material in your filter.
Some water conditioners will affect readings for ammonia with some test kit's. If you tryuly had 8.0 for ammonia, fish would begin dying in short order.Expired test kits will give false readings as well.
If you had levels of ammonia at posted levels you would also see elevated(high) nitrites as well.
The thing I would do is purchase the API freshwater master kit,or take sample to the fish store as has been suggested to get second opinion. I would perform as suggested 50 percent water changes each week or twice a week.
I don't know what might have killed the fish but with increase in size and number of water changes,, along with proper diet, the fish will have the best chance.
Would review all of the above. Is not possible to have ammonia readings you are seeing and also have live fish.