Originally Posted by Nilet699
I'm sooooo confused by this. I have seen it posted by you many times now and get that you are clearly against this, but as Jeff has showed above, doing the change IMMEDIATELY brought down the ppm of nitrites in his tank.......so why do you advocate against it. Is there scientific evidence to back up what your telling people etc?
This is in no way a criticism bealsbob.....I'm just Very curious etc
In this particulare case it is because it is for nitrItes.
I have had fish survive in nitrItes that pegged the api test kit (5 ppm) for 2-3 weeks with no food added.
and then in 2 days the nitrItes drop to 0.
This is not what I recommend for ammonia or cases where some toxin has been added to the tank.
For a toxin immediate massive water changes prevent the immediate danger to the fish.
But that is not the case here.
Even just ammonia is reduced in hours by plant life. And co2 lowered and oxygen added.
Plus longer term even normal levels of toxins are reduced to safe levels.
And on an even larger level, letting the tank heal and correct itself in much more longer term stability. To reduce the need for future water changes.
still just my .02