05-12-2011, 11:23 AM
| || |
Originally Posted by BadFishDaddy
Based on your recommendation I checked the ammonia level of my tap water. The ammonia level of the tap water is 0.25
Should I remove that plant? Should I wash it and put it back, get rid of it or just leave it alone?
I am not using any fertilizers.
I really do appreciate all the feedback on this.
Good news is I haven't had any fish die in about a week
Now we're getting somewhere. The ammonia in the tank is due to the ammonia in the tap water. Easily solved. At a water change, use a conditioner that detoxifies ammonia as well as chlorine/chloramine. Not all will, but it will say on the label; you have Prime I think, that will handle ammonia. It does this by changing the ammonia to less harmful ammonium, and the plants will use this. Test kits read ammonia/ammonium as "ammonia" so don't be scared by this.
That is a stem plant, so yes, I would take it out and wash off those white spots. Aside from fungus, I can't imagine what they are. Then stick it back.
Live plants will handle the ammonium, that is their preferred source of nitrogen. However, they need other nutrients too, most of which occur naturally from organics (fish waste, uneaten food, decaying plant matter, dead bacteria, etc) but in a new tank it can take a while to build this up but it should occur naturally not fast or the organics will overwhelm the biological system. I would suggest a small bottle of Flourish Comprehensive Supplement. You use very little, so long-term it is not expensive. For a 60g, a teaspoon once a week will do it. This will get your plants going.