04-08-2008, 10:19 AM
| || |
Originally Posted by thespiff
Understanding how to use a test kit and what the results mean is a very big part of successfully keeping fish. The nitrogen cycle is no more complicated than high school level biology. In fact, the high school I volunteer at just got an aquarium and is using it to teach the kids about the Nitrogen cycle.
If you don't understand what a healthy environment for your fish is, your going to have trouble making one.
I'm in that High school level biology and it freakin SUCKS!. It could quite possibly be our teacher but i hardly learn anything in there. Science just isn't my think. Ok tyler12345 on you question for cycling its like this. Your fish are going to defecate into the water wich creates ammonia, the little bacteria break down the ammonia into nitrite, and then inot nitrate. Nitrate is harmless unless it is very concintrated. The reason you need to "cycle" is to let these bacteria grow. If youve had it set up since christmas its quite possible that its already cycled. Your quite lucky that no fish have died because with the nitrites and ammonias levels so high it can be a toxic soup your fish are swimming in. It would be smart to go out and buy a LIQUID water test kit. The strips are a piece of crap. Just read the directions on the kit and your nitrites and ammonia should be 0 and nitrates should be low. :D good luck