I caused my two tanks to crash! - Page 2
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » I caused my two tanks to crash!

I caused my two tanks to crash!

This is a discussion on I caused my two tanks to crash! within the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> I think that you do need to keep feeding the little ones, they don't have the stores built in yet to survive too long ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Costello or January Tetra
Costello or January Tetra
Leopard Ctenopoma
Leopard Ctenopoma
Like Tree2Likes

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
I caused my two tanks to crash!
Old 03-04-2013, 01:04 PM   #11
JDM
 
JDM's Avatar
 
I think that you do need to keep feeding the little ones, they don't have the stores built in yet to survive too long between feedings

You could try the compact fluorescents for plants in those and keep going as you are, i would probably choose to do that if it were me. If you decide to upgrade the tank I'd suggest an LED light system and use a glass top rather than a classic hood. The LED come in plant and non-plant versions just like the tubes.

I think that buying the largest tank that you can afford is the best course. The larger water volume is just easier to work with, more stable and allows for better numbers of fish. I started with my daughter wanting a 5 gallon and we ended up with a 37 gallon. We should have gone up one more size but that is another story.

Having said that, two tanks do let you have two varieties that might not otherwise be keep able in a single larger tank.

Cost considerations include right sized filters, new lighting (possibly plant friendly), adequate heater.

If you were starting from scratch I'd suggest, and many others here would as well, to go with a planted tank... That $80 in chemicals would have gone a very long way in plants. Enough right from the start avoids the whole cycle. Tank + substrate + water + heater, light and filter then add fish. I don't have chlorinated water but I bought a small bottle of prime specifically in case of a spike. That has been my only chemical purchase, other than fertilizer. I haven't opened it yet.

Jeff.
JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:19 PM   #12
 
I do have planted tanks, each with three-four plants, including Amazon swords and arrowheads, and some kind of bunch plants that are really fluffy and grow like crazy. I had java moss, but something about adding the bottled bacteria did them in, or caused them to go grey and icky looking, so I took them out. I'll get the light bulbs that were recommended, that's sure cheaper than a new hood and stick with the two tanks for now, I guess.

As for all the babies...the LFS said they would take them when they are adults, but why I am raising guppies for the LFS? I love watching the babies grow. I bet I will end up buying a third tank because I feel bad parting with them, much to my husband's chagrin. Although some are certainly turning out prettier than others....what would the LFS do with not-so-striking guppies? I think they'd end up food for bigger guys.

If I wanted to stop having babies, could I just have a tank of male guppies? I know that isn't optimal, but I don't want to have to keep worrying about what to do with grown up fry...?
barbaraanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:37 PM   #13
JDM
 
JDM's Avatar
 
Just don't buy live bearers... but that's a personal thing. You could go with all male guppies but I don't know much about live bearers at all... maybe you can't.

Yah, it sounds like you might end up with another tank.

Jeff.
JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:52 PM   #14
 
BarbH's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbaraanne View Post
I do have planted tanks, each with three-four plants, including Amazon swords and arrowheads, and some kind of bunch plants that are really fluffy and grow like crazy. I had java moss, but something about adding the bottled bacteria did them in, or caused them to go grey and icky looking, so I took them out. I'll get the light bulbs that were recommended, that's sure cheaper than a new hood and stick with the two tanks for now, I guess.

As for all the babies...the LFS said they would take them when they are adults, but why I am raising guppies for the LFS? I love watching the babies grow. I bet I will end up buying a third tank because I feel bad parting with them, much to my husband's chagrin. Although some are certainly turning out prettier than others....what would the LFS do with not-so-striking guppies? I think they'd end up food for bigger guys.

If I wanted to stop having babies, could I just have a tank of male guppies? I know that isn't optimal, but I don't want to have to keep worrying about what to do with grown up fry...?

If you do decide that you don't want to raise fry any more doing a tank with just males will work out fine
BarbH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:15 PM   #15
 
jentralala's Avatar
 
You might be able to work out a deal with the LFS to get credit for the guppies you bring in. You could get free plants/supplies.
jentralala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:56 PM   #16
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbaraanne View Post
As for all the babies...the LFS said they would take them when they are adults, but why I am raising guppies for the LFS? I love watching the babies grow. I bet I will end up buying a third tank because I feel bad parting with them, much to my husband's chagrin. Although some are certainly turning out prettier than others....what would the LFS do with not-so-striking guppies? I think they'd end up food for bigger guys.

If I wanted to stop having babies, could I just have a tank of male guppies? I know that isn't optimal, but I don't want to have to keep worrying about what to do with grown up fry...?
Unless the store intends selling the guppy fry as feeder fish, I suspect they will soon not be interested in more. A female livebearer will deliver a sizeable brood regularly for years. Have a read of ouor profile, click Guppy. There is also a bit more data in the Livebearer introduction in the profiles.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:43 PM   #17
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
Unless the store intends selling the guppy fry as feeder fish, I suspect they will soon not be interested in more. A female livebearer will deliver a sizeable brood regularly for years. Have a read of ouor profile, click Guppy. There is also a bit more data in the Livebearer introduction in the profiles.
Thanks all for the help with guppies, but because my son brought them home, I got into them and really love them, but I understand what you are saying about the LFS and them probably not really wanting my future fish. I will eventually move to a different collection, I am sure.

However, I am still struggling with both tanks with the ammonia issue, which is not disappearing in any way. Today I bought Prime to use with the water changes and even more plants, which is the most these 10 gallon tanks can take. I am tempted to completely empty the tanks, or change out 95-100% of the water to get the ammonia levels down to 1.0 or lower. I really think I will have to do that. The 30% each day is not doing it. Should I take all fish, plants, decorations out of each tank, change out the water completely, but not rinse the gravel or filter media, and just add Prime? (By the way, my tap water is 0 for ammonia.) Do I need to rinse out the filter boxes somehow, as well? I can rinse the media in the tank water I take out, and even the gravel.

Help, please!

Also the store keeps saying to add bacteria products, can they hurt?

thank you!
barbaraanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:30 PM   #18
JDM
 
JDM's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbaraanne View Post
However, I am still struggling with both tanks with the ammonia issue, which is not disappearing in any way. Today I bought Prime to use with the water changes and even more plants, which is the most these 10 gallon tanks can take. I am tempted to completely empty the tanks, or change out 95-100% of the water to get the ammonia levels down to 1.0 or lower. I really think I will have to do that. The 30% each day is not doing it. Should I take all fish, plants, decorations out of each tank, change out the water completely, but not rinse the gravel or filter media, and just add Prime? (By the way, my tap water is 0 for ammonia.) Do I need to rinse out the filter boxes somehow, as well? I can rinse the media in the tank water I take out, and even the gravel.
!
75% water changes are about as much as you need to do if you have added as many plants as you say. No sense in making more work than you already have. That let's you leave fish and plants in place during the process.... although if you want to go through such a large change, it won't hurt. Rinsing everything as you suggest is the recommended way, using old tank water or even treated (de-chlorinated) water.

Adding any products other than prime at this point is pointless. Your plants may be enough to consume all the ammonia as it is produced and your problem will most likely clear up right away, particularly if you go with a 100% water change. That's how I started, fresh water, lots of plants and add the fish. Even with a small amount of ammonia, say the 1ppm, the plants would soak that up in short order.

What plants did you get?

Jeff.
JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:32 PM   #19
 
Byron's Avatar
 
I am a bit puzzled, having read this thread through. I do not understand ammonia at 8 ppm with all these plants. Bacterial supplements can do no harm, but they should not be necessary with plants.

While it is true that changing the filter media would have removed the nitrifying bacteria in the filter, there are bacteria elsewhere in the tank, not to mention the live plants using ammonia/ammonium.

Maybe we are not clear...just how many fish are in the 10g tank? Assuming this is the problem tank.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:57 PM   #20
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
I am a bit puzzled, having read this thread through. I do not understand ammonia at 8 ppm with all these plants. Bacterial supplements can do no harm, but they should not be necessary with plants.

While it is true that changing the filter media would have removed the nitrifying bacteria in the filter, there are bacteria elsewhere in the tank, not to mention the live plants using ammonia/ammonium.

Maybe we are not clear...just how many fish are in the 10g tank? Assuming this is the problem tank.
Both tanks are problem tanks, neither one has ammonia levels below 8, and actually they are probably higher than that, it's off the charts.

First ten gallon tank has 6 adult guppies, roughly 15 baby guppies of varying sizes, most are still very little.

Second ten gallon tank has 6 adult guppies, 2 baby guppies of very small size. This tank used to have 10 adults, but 2 died and I moved 2 to the other tank.

For the first month I didn't test the water, as the fish all seemed to be fine and the store told me I didn't need to---big mistake, I know. During the first month I didn't really suck out the gravel, I didn't know how, I just ran the cleaner over the top of the gravel. I was probably feeding too much at first too.

The first time I checked for ammonia was after I changed out the filter media and had finally decided I needed to buy dropper test kits. It showed .5 at first, then after a couple of days and a BIG gravel cleaning where I pushed all the gravel around like a novice and made stuff come up into the water, it ran up to 4.0, and then within a couple of days, over 8. And this is doing 30-60% gravel changes each day since the ammonia spike. It's like the bacteria product I was adding was made up of ammonia or something...API Quick Start.

Tonight I just changed out 50-60% of the water in the tank #1 with most of the babies. I carefully cleaned the gravel, after removing the plants and ornaments, most of which are potted, now that the LFS finally showed me how to do it correctly, but not all that much stuff was in the gravel at this point. I rinsed the media in the tank water. Then I retested the ammonia, and it was still 8.0! It must have been 16.0 before that, but I am still at a loss. This test works correctly, and tests 0 for our tap water.

As for the types of plants, three potted plants per tank--two swords and one arrowhead, or that's what I was told. Also two bunch plants per tank, not sure of the name, they are "fluffy," spread out in each tank, and one other "bunch" plant. No floating plants. I'm sorry I am not knowing the names of these plants yet.

I haven't changed Tank #2 today yet, the one with the six adult guppies. Waiting for advice....

Thanks so much, I know this seems to be impossible, but I am looking at the test tube and shaking my head.

Also, a handful of tiny snails have grown in each tank, having hitched a ride in on a plant.

Last edited by barbaraanne; 03-04-2013 at 07:08 PM..
barbaraanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
idiot move caused had a bad outcome Deadstroke174 Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 3 04-27-2012 03:13 PM
instant tank wipeout. what could have caused it? tangy Saltwater Fish Diseases 4 07-29-2007 12:48 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:35 PM.