09-02-2011, 01:30 PM
| || |
Hydrogen sulfide bubbles - should I worry?
I periodically, once or twice a day, see a bubble of hydrogen sulfide (or methane?) bubble up fom under a piece of mopani wood I have in my tank. Is this an immediate hazard I should address? How toxic is hydrogen sulfide to fish?
I have a 55 with a deep (3-4") layer of ecocomplete. The Mopani wood has a fairly large footprint on the ecocomplete surface creating the dead space underneath. I can smell the sulfur when I bump the wood when cleaning, releasing a bubble or two. I think the bubbles are collecting in a cavity under the wood.
All major parameters are good in this heavily planted tank (pH 6.5-6.7, ammonia=0, nitrite=0, nitrate 2.5-5)
If I need to address it, what's the best way - siphon out from under the wood or just lift the wood out and let the gas release?