how many snails is too many snails? - Page 3
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » how many snails is too many snails?

how many snails is too many snails?

This is a discussion on how many snails is too many snails? within the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> Originally Posted by leogtr really??? oh man those arent Assasins those are some straight up cold-blooded merciless terminators!!!! Well, why else do you think ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
False Penguin Tetra
False Penguin Tetra
Harlequin Rasbora
Harlequin Rasbora
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
how many snails is too many snails?
Old 02-20-2011, 06:41 PM   #21
 
aunt kymmie's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by leogtr View Post
really??? oh man those arent Assasins those are some straight up cold-blooded merciless terminators!!!!
Well, why else do you think I named my assasin snail, "Ahnuld"??
aunt kymmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 06:54 PM   #22
 
CoffeeMan's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by leogtr View Post
HOLY COW! you can barely see in the tank! omg lol
Well, that might have been a little bit of an exaggeration, but yeah... it's bad.
CoffeeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:16 PM   #23
 
amazon21's Avatar
 
I agree with Byron on this one. In real habitats there are a lot more invertebrates than fish, and by having snails in an aquarium, you are replicating this. The acute bladder snail is one of my favorite snails infact. They are great indicators, if you see them all crawling towards the top of your water, you know theres something wrong in your tank. Like byron said, they are constantly eating stuff, I have one that hitched a ride with my daphnia culture, and even though I never feed enough for anything bigger than daphnia to live on, my snail remains fat from whatever "stuff" is in the aqurium. acute bladder snails are pretty cool creatures too, they have adapted to breath air from the surface, so you commonly see them upside down on the waters surface. They can also walk upside down on water which is pretty neat. I can go on and on about the benefits of bladder snails when compared to some boring assasins
amazon21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:21 PM   #24
 
Guppie luver's Avatar
 
ya you right
Guppie luver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Guppie luver For This Useful Post:
leogtr (02-20-2011)
Old 02-20-2011, 08:01 PM   #25
 
leogtr's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by aunt kymmie View Post
Well, why else do you think I named my assasin snail, "Ahnuld"??
I had to google that! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeMan View Post
Well, that might have been a little bit of an exaggeration, but yeah... it's bad.
do your snails look sometimes as if their raining down when they get swept by the current from the little waterfall runing down from the filter? because mine are starting to do that but they dont look like rain yet..but you do see them floating down from the top from time to time..its kinda funny I bet they have alot of fun when they do that.

I'd have fun :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazon21 View Post
I agree with Byron on this one. In real habitats there are a lot more invertebrates than fish, and by having snails in an aquarium, you are replicating this. The acute bladder snail is one of my favorite snails infact. They are great indicators, if you see them all crawling towards the top of your water, you know theres something wrong in your tank. Like byron said, they are constantly eating stuff, I have one that hitched a ride with my daphnia culture, and even though I never feed enough for anything bigger than daphnia to live on, my snail remains fat from whatever "stuff" is in the aqurium. acute bladder snails are pretty cool creatures too, they have adapted to breath air from the surface, so you commonly see them upside down on the waters surface. They can also walk upside down on water which is pretty neat. I can go on and on about the benefits of bladder snails when compared to some boring assasins
oh thats great thank youl! I love these little guys I dont think Im gonna get some mercenary snail to be rid of them. afterall they are one big happy family :)

Last edited by leogtr; 02-20-2011 at 08:20 PM..
leogtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:21 PM   #26
 
My common ramshorns have never ever touched a live plant. I have lots of both snails and plants.
Mikaila31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:39 PM   #27
 
Lupin's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inga View Post
The Assassin is a wonderful Little population control snail. Don't add too many. I actually only have 1 in my 60 gallon tank and the numbers of Ramshorns have dropped greatly. In fact, I have to really look to fin any ramshorns in there anymore. In the 25 gallon which was so over run with Ramshorn snails there was hardly any room for anything else, I added 2 Assassins. I can't find any Ramshorns in there at all anymore.
Then again, ramshorns are far slower breeders compared to physas. Physas produce eggs like no tomorrow. In my experience, I struggled to breed ramshorns in mass. I guess I should have left them alone instead of insisting them to breed more ramshorns for me.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:06 PM   #28
 
leogtr's Avatar
 
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikaila31 View Post
My common ramshorns have never ever touched a live plant. I have lots of both snails and plants.
Mikaila I just saw your aquarium video that was so nice! whats the song??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin View Post
Then again, ramshorns are far slower breeders compared to physas. Physas produce eggs like no tomorrow. In my experience, I struggled to breed ramshorns in mass. I guess I should have left them alone instead of insisting them to breed more ramshorns for me.
you should get Acute Bladder snails those will multiply like wild rabbits!! plus they dont eat your plants!
leogtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:11 PM   #29
 
Lupin's Avatar
 
I've kept all these snails regarded as pests but I dislike physas honestly. They're faster than the ramshorns for my assassins to even get to them.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 04:30 PM   #30
 
Get a good few assassin snails, they will keep the population under control. BUT you will be left with lots of empty snail shells!
1stAquarium is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1stAquarium For This Useful Post:
leogtr (02-21-2011)
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking for some Zebra Neritina snails or Malaysian Trumpet Snails... dfbiggs Invertebrates 20 05-28-2010 12:46 AM
Mystery Snails, Rare Trumpet Snail and Breeding of Assassin Snails Lupin Invertebrates 4 04-24-2009 03:55 AM
Pond snails dying, worried for mystery snails. Falina Invertebrates 6 11-19-2007 12:20 PM
Can Ramshorn Snails and Mystery snails mate? dominicanpapi82 Invertebrates 3 08-07-2007 02:07 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:04 PM.