how many hydras is too many hydras?
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » how many hydras is too many hydras?

how many hydras is too many hydras?

This is a discussion on how many hydras is too many hydras? within the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> hi everyone I need your help from those of you who have had experience with hydras Im wondering when do they become dangerous or ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Blue Ram
Blue Ram
Golden Pencilfish
Golden Pencilfish
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
how many hydras is too many hydras?
Old 04-10-2011, 09:01 PM   #1
 
leogtr's Avatar
 
Question how many hydras is too many hydras?



hi everyone I need your help from those of you who have had experience with hydras Im wondering when do they become dangerous or if they even are dangerous. Their weird little things and they are everywhere I look in my aquarium. The fish dont bother with them sometimes they eat them but Im not sure.

thank you for your advice:)
leogtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 11:00 PM   #2
 
whitecloud34's Avatar
 
I'm not sure how many is too much but years ago I had hydra in my 55 gallon and I worked at a pet store at the time so I asked a co-worker and he said just get two gold gouramis and don't feed them and they'll take care of it. I don't remember how long it took but they did take care of the problem.
whitecloud34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 07:56 AM   #3
 
leogtr's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecloud34 View Post
I'm not sure how many is too much but years ago I had hydra in my 55 gallon and I worked at a pet store at the time so I asked a co-worker and he said just get two gold gouramis and don't feed them and they'll take care of it. I don't remember how long it took but they did take care of the problem.

are gouramis big? are they peaceful? thank you for your responce.
leogtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:53 PM   #4
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by leogtr View Post
are gouramis big? are they peaceful? thank you for your responce.
Sometimes the "cure" can be worse than the initial problem. I never recommend acquiring a particular fish just to solve some issue. The safer course is to fix the cause. In this case I can't offer much on that, because to my knowledge I have never had hydra, though with my eyesight I might not see them anyway. I know there is an incredible amount of live creatures in my tanks; the fact that so many fry can hatch and survive when I am certainly not feeding them is proof of this.

Gold gourami [which is the "gold" variety of the common Blue Gourami] do get large, and can be nasty to certain other fish, especially in small quarters. I would not suggest acquiring one (or even worse, two, as they are territorial) unless you have a large tank with suitable fittings for these beautiful fish. Read out profile [click on the shaded name].

Byron.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 03:54 PM   #5
 
whitecloud34's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post

Gold gourami [which is the "gold" variety of the common Blue Gourami] do get large, and can be nasty to certain other fish, especially in small quarters. I would not suggest acquiring one (or even worse, two, as they are territorial) unless you have a large tank with suitable fittings for these beautiful fish. Read out profile [click on the shaded name].

Byron.
Yes they do get big, I actually kept them peacefully with an Oscar!
whitecloud34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 05:37 PM   #6
 
leogtr's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
Sometimes the "cure" can be worse than the initial problem. I never recommend acquiring a particular fish just to solve some issue. The safer course is to fix the cause. In this case I can't offer much on that, because to my knowledge I have never had hydra, though with my eyesight I might not see them anyway. I know there is an incredible amount of live creatures in my tanks; the fact that so many fry can hatch and survive when I am certainly not feeding them is proof of this.

Gold gourami [which is the "gold" variety of the common Blue Gourami] do get large, and can be nasty to certain other fish, especially in small quarters. I would not suggest acquiring one (or even worse, two, as they are territorial) unless you have a large tank with suitable fittings for these beautiful fish. Read out profile [click on the shaded name].

Byron.
yeah they are tiny tiny these odd little creatures.

I now am feading the aquarium once a day because it seems that everyone is getting fat from eating all the tiny little creatures that live there..its crazy how many there are! do you think that they can get enough nutrients from them to not need regular food? I gave them shrimp today and the all went nuts! even the tiniest one that barely eats!

yeah ill just see what happens I mean they are just taking over every surface..even the glass!


Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecloud34 View Post
Yes they do get big, I actually kept them peacefully with an Oscar!
oh see I have little danios they might freak out if I bring in the gouramis
leogtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:04 AM   #7
 
redchigh's Avatar
 
Hydras are only a danger to small fish (under 1/4 inch). They can harass slightly larger ones, but you'd notice red spots where your fish were stung.

If you decide to get rid of them, then I would manually remove as many as possible and use an anti-parasite remedy.
redchigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 11:10 AM   #8
 
leogtr's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by redchigh View Post
Hydras are only a danger to small fish (under 1/4 inch). They can harass slightly larger ones, but you'd notice red spots where your fish were stung.

If you decide to get rid of them, then I would manually remove as many as possible and use an anti-parasite remedy.
oh no I dont want my fish being harassed thank you redchigh I will take action immediately.
leogtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
can cherry shrimp outproduce hydras? WH2O Invertebrates 2 12-24-2010 09:07 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:23 AM.