How to make Marimo Balls? - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 07-09-2011, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Inga's Avatar
 
How to make Marimo Balls?

Alright, this is likely another stupid question but... Can a person make Marimo balls just by squeezing Java Moss into a ball shape and repeatedly reshaping it?

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Mahatma Gandhi
Inga is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 5 Old 07-09-2011, 03:41 PM
Member
 
redchigh's Avatar
 
Marimo balls are actually a species of algae- cladophora I believe.

It's native to asia, and forms the typical round shape all on it's own. Cladophora only grows spherical in one area of asia, and is a common nuisance algae elsewhere. Some cheap moss balls are actually the nuisance cladophora rolled into a ball, but eventually they fall apart-

By comparison, the real moss balls will always stay round (-ish).. You can even cut them in half, and eventually both balls will form into complete circles again, albeit smaller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christople View Post
^^ genius
__________________

Soil Substrates Guide:
Part 1
--------- Part 2

_____________________
redchigh is offline  
post #3 of 5 Old 07-09-2011, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Inga's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by redchigh View Post
Marimo balls are actually a species of algae- cladophora I believe.

It's native to asia, and forms the typical round shape all on it's own. Cladophora only grows spherical in one area of asia, and is a common nuisance algae elsewhere. Some cheap moss balls are actually the nuisance cladophora rolled into a ball, but eventually they fall apart-

By comparison, the real moss balls will always stay round (-ish).. You can even cut them in half, and eventually both balls will form into complete circles again, albeit smaller.

I see. That is kind of what I thought but thought it was worth a try. I have so much Java Moss in my tank, I have been tossing it out all over and just thought if I could roll it up in a ball, it would take less space. ha ha

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Mahatma Gandhi
Inga is offline  
post #4 of 5 Old 07-09-2011, 04:14 PM
Member
 
redchigh's Avatar
 
Try trading it. I for one am always looking for more java moss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christople View Post
^^ genius
__________________

Soil Substrates Guide:
Part 1
--------- Part 2

_____________________
redchigh is offline  
post #5 of 5 Old 07-09-2011, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Inga's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by redchigh View Post
Try trading it. I for one am always looking for more java moss.
What do you do with all of it? Doesn't it take over your tank? Some of what I have been tossing has some algae mixed in with it. The light was left on for about 48 hours straight when I was in the hospital and I got a big algae breakout. It is getting much much better but... still a little in there on certain plants.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Mahatma Gandhi
Inga is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Marimo balls Trishfish Beginner Planted Aquarium 2 05-14-2007 10:25 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome