03-27-2011, 09:49 PM
| || |
Originally Posted by ruby716
Hi everyone, I have a 2.5 gallon tank, and was wondering how long I should have the light on for. I had the tank for a little over a month already, and about 3 1/2 weeks into the filter, it turned bright greenish which is obviously algae. It didn't affect my ammonia or nitrite or anything, but I was wondering if it's bad that the filter media changed that color. I just changed the filter about 5 days ago, and it has bright green on it again. Is that bad? I usually leave the light on for about 12 hours a day.
I don't know much about algae, as I've been lucky not to have it yet. Do you have live plants? 12 hours is too long to leave your light on. I think 8-10 hours is sufficient, much more and you'll get that green stuff. I don't think it will harm anything, and removing your filter will only make your tank go into a mini-cycle. Rinse your filter in tank water and put back, rather than replace.